1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman's injury impact biggest of all

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If he was responsible enough to take care of it early in the year, we wouldn't be 3-5.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8733156/Merriman's-injury-impact-biggest-of-all

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm actually changing my tune on possibly not signing Merriman. I now feel after watching this defense underachieving and letting QB's picking us apart that we HAVE to pay him pretty much what he demands to keep the Lights on here in San Diego. He obviously makes this Defense SO much better when he's in. Shawn Phillips just IS the "Other Guy" when the Lights are out.....

3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    As the article states, he is such a disruption to an opposing offense they have to get out of Plan A in a lot of instances.

He really does make the players around him better, the definition of a great player.

Open up the vault and pay him what he wants...period.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Lets see how he knee holds up before opening the vault. But I do agree and I have been saying this all year. Merriman demands and offensive lineman and a FB or RB to block him off the edge. Sometimes even 2 olineman. All that does is create mismatches for Phillips and really helps Jamal Williams cause is takes double teams off of him occasionally.

We have to sign him if his knee is good to go.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    AJ resign Merriman now!

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think we have some to to deal with here. Let's find out how this defense fares under Rivera and some more aggressive schemes. If they go like last year, then we'll just how much Merriman meant to this team. Merriman's ego and selfishness in ignoring treatment for his injury has to be a factor in whether or not he decides to return to the Chargers. I have to assign some of the blame to AJ for not laying down the law to Merriman for not getting proper treatment that was transparently necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...If that TRULY is the case, then AJ is almost at Merriman's mercy as far as salary demands. I think it's pitiful and worse yet, a gross miscalculation of the other defensive players actual talent level on this team. A good deal of money was already spend retaining or extending the Castillos and Tuckers, etc. If this were baseball and the Bolts were owned by Steinbrenner, it wouldn't matter. Since it's not...I'm afraid AJ has quite a mess on his hands trying to determine who to keep :icon_huh:

9. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    If we don't resign Merriman it would be the same as keeping cotrell as DC. Although if Merriman were playing he would be running the defense so cotrell would be a mute issue.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    word...

I think SM is the best Defensive player in the NFL

IMHO

11. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    He is very good and I think he is the best D player the Chargers have ever had. It has made a huge difference not having him playing.

PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!.......HE IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Hopefully AJ realizes what everyone else is learning and that is that merriman is a beast and the most important player on this defense, if not the team and gets him signed long term ASAP

AND so this doesnt happen again, go out and restock on some pass rushers in the offseason. I would love if AJ could find a way to bring in George Selvie to come in and play either DE (if we move to a 4-3 like we should) or OLB in the 3-4

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    2 guys: resigning Merriman and Rivers is crutial.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Indeed. And while I said earlier that I thought Cro was a more important signing than Merriman, I now feel I must eat those words. I'm still in Cro's court & hope that he gets Deion out of his head & starts playing better, but Shawne IS the heart & soul of this D.

Provided he can make a healthy, 100% comeback, He needs to get re-signed to a long-term deal.

15. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I know some might not agree, but i think Vincent jackson is a must-sign as well

He is finally learning to use his amazing size/speed and is become a top flight WR. This year, even with the somewhat slow start, he is still on pace for a 1100 yard, 8 TD season. When was the last time we a 1100 yard WR?? Curtis Conway??

Not to mention he is only 25

Hopefully AJ finds a way to keep all 3 guys plus McNeill (like there is any chance a 24 year old, 2X pro bowl LT ever makes it out onto FA :icon_rofl: )

16. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I will take a look into my crystal ball and speculate as to what AJ will do regarding Merriman.

IMHO AJ will use 2009 to evaluate Merriman and see if his repaired knee is sound. If so, he will most likely be resigned. If the results are mixed, say Shawn has good moments and not so good moments, he will mosty likely be franchised and AJ will use 2010 to make the final decision on Merriman to see if he is healthy.:bolt:

GO CHARGERS!

17. BlueBolt

BlueBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    McNeill at LT has to be a top priority closely followed by Merriman at OLB. Those 2 should be considered the cornerstones of their respective units. It's obvious the impact the loss of Merriman has had on the defense, I think you'd probably see the same if we were to lose McNeill to FA. Rivers and Jackson or whomever is at QB and WR would definately feel that pain.

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I dont usually include McNeill because i think is a given he will get re-signed. There is NO WAY any team lets a a LT this good ever hit the market.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If our D is designed around Merriman we're screwed. Yes he's important just as LT is to our O, but I find hard to believe we can't play w/o him.

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yes, definatly up there with champ, haynesworth and willis.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Merriman is to our Defense what Ray Lewis is to the Ravens Defense (though of course Ray is up there in age now).

Lewis is not only very good but he makes everybody else around him good. Same goes for Merriman. Both defenses are designed around their main guy.
    BUT... we won four games in a row without Merriman in the 2006 season. That just goes to show that as great as he is, there is still plenty of talent to work with!!!

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    You can't be serious.:icon_huh: Ten other guy's out there but Merriman is GOD? I think not. Earth to W..... forget it Will, your done.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I said "we won four games in a row without Merriman in the 2006 season. That just goes to show that as great as he is, there is still plenty of talent to work with!!!"

Read before you respond!!

24. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Have you been watching the games this year? Look at the statistics from last year to present.
    What's the difference? No Merriman.

It's clear that Spanos needs to load up a dumptruck with money, back it up to Merriman's front yard and dump it.
    If he does it now, while Merriman is out, they could probably get a discount for showing him they believe in him and his rehab.
    Wait until next year, when he's healthy and dominating the league again, and we probably can't afford him.
    He'd look good in a Patriot uniform, wouldn't he?

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    My tee is broken can you go get me some new one's. I'll wait right here until you get back.

26. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I think the impact of the Merriman's injury is increased by poor coaching.

It is silly to think that Merriman is more important to the Bolts defense than Brady is to the Pats offense. Part of the reason why Merriman was such a huge loss is the Bolts let it be. While the Chargers were mourning the loss of Merriman, in New England BB was hard at work figuring out how to win without Brady.

IMHO, even without Merriman the Chargers have the greatest collection of individual talent of any franchise in the NFL. But I don't see a team. The Chargers are less than the sum of their parts. I feel the same way about the Cowboys -- great collection of individual talent but not a team.

OTOH, the Bills, the Pats and this year the Dolphins I see TEAMS. Teams that are greater as team than the sum of the individual players. Teams that play well together and who complement each others strengths.

And that is the difference between Norv or Wade and Dick or Bill.

27. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Fixed it for you.

You're welcome.

28. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I only have ONE thing to say about that...hmmm, well actually you said it all!!

:abq2: :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: :abq2:

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Very crutial. :icon_banana:

30. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't buy it. The Giants lost both Strahan and Osi, and their defense is still one of the best in football, and their pass rush is just as good. Why? Because they have one of the best defensive coordinators in the league. Our defense was horrible through the first few games of 07, and it didn't start playing better till we started getting a ton of turnovers. We gave up a ton of yards last year, but the turnovers saved us a bunch. Losing Merriman hurts, but it's not cause for us to play this bad.