1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman's interview in the Oct. Issue of Playboy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Just got this emailed to me.

http://www.playboy.com/articles/shawne-merriman-20q-interview/index.html

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS’ SHAWNE MERRIMAN IS PLAYBOY'S OCTOBER 20Q

The Game’s Most Dangerous Linebacker Talks About His Hits, His Comeback, Being Hazed as a Rookie, and His Troubled Childhood

“I’m so dangerous right now I scare myself,” says Shawne Merriman in Playboy’s October 20Q, when asked about his rebuilt body (issue on newsstands and online at www.playboydigital.com Friday, September 11). The San Diego Chargers’ linebacker, nicknamed Lights Out for his ability to knock players out, is healthy and strong following knee surgery, and is ready to hit everything that moves. “I’m 100 percent healthy for the first time since entering the league…Now I’m the strongest I’ve ever been…If you’re wearing a different-colored helmet than me, you’re in trouble.”

Merriman is proving he’s back and ready to bring the hurt. Following are selected quotes from his conversation with Playboy Contributor Jason Buhrmester:

On the hardest players to hit: “Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. They’re great quarterbacks, but they’re also very hard to get to. They get rid of the ball quick; they make the right decisions. It’s not always about your athletic ability. There are some guys in the league who have more athletic ability than both of them, but Brady and Manning are so good. It’s really hard to hit them.”

On the hardest hit he’s delivered in the NFL: “When I knocked out Priest Holmes. That was probably the hardest hit, and from what I’ve heard, it was one of the loudest hits anybody has ever heard.”

On running into Priest Holmes after the hit: “I saw him two years ago at – of all places – the Playboy Mansion…It was awkward. Because on the field, I’m a beast and a killer. I’m going to try to get you by any means necessary. But off the field, I’m not like that. When I saw him I didn’t even know what to say. I said, ‘What’s up?’”

On critics who have claimed his hits were illegal: “When I was in high school parents sent letters complaining that I shouldn’t be on the field with their sons, that I was an animal. It was hilarious. They stopped letting me hit in practice. Whenever we had contact drills, they’d send me over to another field, where I would practice hitting dummies.”

On being hit by Jacksonville Jaguars’ Maurice Jones-Drew during the 2007 season: “He came out of the blue when I was looking at the quarterback, and Maurice is about eight inches shorter than me. The guy leveled my ***. A f*cking bowling ball is what he is, man. It wouldn’t have been such a big deal if it wasn’t me. You know, ‘Lights Out got lights out.’”

On being hazed as a rookie: “I had to take the whole team out for dinner. The tab was about $32,000…I felt sick. I talked to nobody for three or four days.”

On his childhood: “I had a really troubled upbringing, and some of the unfortunate things that happened are why I’m able to do what I do now. I’m built for everything that’s taking place now.”

On being a judge for Miss USA pageants: “I loved it. I made a joke about Donald Trump twisting my arm to get me to go there, but I probably would have gone out there for free…You’re around 50 hot chicks, and I’m single. It was fun for me.”

On appearing in Keri Hilson’s “Knock You Down” video with Kanye West and Ne-Yo: “I told [Kanye] ‘I’ve never done a video. I can show you how to hit a quarterback, but I don’t know about videos.’ [Kanye] said ‘All you have to do is stand there and be Lights Out.’ So I just stood there, and it worked. It was a hot video.”

On being considered for the Hall of Fame: “People don’t often talk about the Hall of Fame this early in a career, and it’s an honor even to be considered. But I don’t feel it’s right until you prove yourself in your game. Anybody can have one or two good years. Do I want to be considered the best that ever played the game? Of course. But at no point in time do I want to come across as being disrespectful.”

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Talk about timing... :lol:

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    well played Shawne [​IMG]

4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I have to say that I don't see what the big deal is here. Other than the fact that its Playboy, which I guess some can find controversial, the interview is not anything he hasn't said in a million other interviews in his life. He comes off as focused and confident. What the hell is wrong with that?

6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Nothing...just the timing is more than a little ironic :unsure:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    What's so odd about the timing?

Is being interviewed by a magazine really a big deal? Why? Cuz it's Playboy?

To be fair, I didn't read it (no time right now) so feel free to call me out on it if he said something in the interview that could be of poor timing.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I read Playboy for the articles.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    where would one find an interview in Playboy, is it in the first half or second half?

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    it's ironic b/c in it he's talking about how dangerous and hard hitting he is/always has been... how he enjoys beating people up essentially. Those of us here who get the whole football thing don't take that to mean he also beats people in his non-football life... but since this was posted here (and elsewhere) I've already seen quotes of his being used as headlines taken out of context.

People who don't understand or don't "get" football will inevitably see the snippets used from this article on stupid entertainment shows like ET or Xtra as proof that he's a roid raging tila abuser. Why? Because people are dumb. I say things like "KILL 'EM!" "MAKE 'EM CRY!" "TEAR HIM UP!" all the time when watching football - I "hate" other teams and players... but in reality do I really hate them or wish them harm? Hardly ever :D

Seriously - I hate the Raiders, but those guys who died this summer on their fishing boat... that made me sad :( b/c I didn't really hate them and I definitiely didn't want them dead. However, if you look at comments I make about the Raiders in print and out of context well... you might think otherwise.

The timing is just... uncanny. Obviously not on purpose but still, it's so ugh it's funny.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I read Playboy to see naked ladies

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Boobies.

13. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Just read between the pictures, if you can. :icon_eek:

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    They still publish Playboy???:icon_rofl:

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I read Beaver Hunt for the articles.

16. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Shoot, I will have to go out and get this issue, to read this article, yeah, read this article, that's it... :icon_razz:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Read Playboy!?. When did any hot blooded male 'read Playboy. Just look at the pix man, look at the pix. The articles that can be read are for your partner/wife.

jk.

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    once again where would one find an "ARTICLE" in Playboy? Do they have a Table of Contents?

19. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Not only will I read this article...I will get my wife (huge Charger fan) to buy it for me!:tup: