1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman's Wrestling Future.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Mar 28, 2010.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Could he be sooooo oh so dumb?!?

Goldberg hints at a "Lights Out" return to wrestling

Though I haven't paid attention to wrestling in years, the squared circle could soon contain a man of great interest to NFL fans: Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

Several of you have pointed out that former WWE star Goldberg, who currently is one of the contestants on NBC's The Celebrity Apprentice, has been talking to Vince McMahon's wrestling operation about a return. And Goldberg has said that, if he returns, it'll be part of a tag team featuring Merriman, "updating the old Goldberg/Kevin Greene duo."

More.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/28/goldberg-hints-at-a-lights-out-return-to-wrestling/

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Goldberg and Merriman?

ROFL

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :popcorn:
    PFT talking Pro Wrestling.:icon_eek: Talk about overkill on the bullshit meter.

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    HAHAHAHAH kevin greene. Sean Merriman pro wrestling? That would be hillarious!!! I would not wanna **** with him...

At least in the WWE he can take as many roids as he wants and will in fact probably be rewarded for it.

[​IMG]

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Back in the day, Earnie Ladd - The Big Cat - used to wrestle for extra money. I wonder if Merriman needs the money ?

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    No way. The dude already has bucks! First, Merriman never made a quote that he was going to do it, it was supposedly a quote from Goldberg. Merriman knows where his bread is buttered. The guy probably just loves to be controversial. You don't think he knows that every move he makes gets disected? As long as he doesn't truly do anything wrong, it is probably all comedic to him how folks jump all over the tinniest of rumors. It's when he actually does something that can be criticized. Until then, it all good! :yes:

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Shawne Merriman won't be defecting to the WWE

[​IMG]

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2010 6:05 PM E

Recently, former wrestling star Goldberg said he could be returning to the WWE -- and that if he does his tag-team partner will be Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

The suggestion didn't sound quite so foolish on the surface, given that Merriman is a restricted free agent with five years of service, that he's not happy with the CBA quirk that has kept him from becoming an unrestricted free agent, that he could in theory take a year off and return as an unrestricted free agent in 2011, if the rules reduce the eligibility to five years or fewer, and that he seems to be just enough of a free spirit to do it.

Alas, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Merriman will not be taking a year off and entering the squared circle.

"He might enjoy the attention," the source said, "but he will play [football] somewhere in 2010."

Also, teammate Quentin Jammer recently told XX 1090 in San Diego that the suggestion that Merriman would give up football for wrestling is "hogwash." Said Jammer, "I know 'Lights,' and 'Lights' is all about football."

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Lights is a dim bulb until he shows he can take it up a notch

:tdown:

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Why do people just concentrate on the bad that he does? Kick exactly what up a notch? I may be wrong on this and correct me if I am but doesn't he own his own construction type business or something like that? Didn't he have his own sports talk show? Radio spots for other networks? To me it seems like the guy is a work-a-holic and enjoys blowing off some steam every now and then. For the wreck lose that many paint him as he sure doesn't get into alot of trouble as many NFL players.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WUT?

:lol:

I want steroid boy!!

:flag:

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Merriman doesn't rule out wrestling, but he's still committed to football

Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2010 3:01 PM ET
    Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman has confirmed that he's committed to pro football for the 2010 season. But he hasn't closed the door on eventually becoming a pro wrestling.

"It's been talked about," Merriman told XX 1090 in San Diego, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "I guess it's the offseason and with things a little slow there's probably some other things to be talked about. I just want to set the record straight. I'm preparing myself for a 110 percent hell of a season, football season that is. All that stuff is talk. I'm a huge, huge wrestling fan, I've always been, and I've had a few talks with Vince McMahon before and it's a possibility."

Still, it sounds like it's not something he'll be doing soon.

"Not saying it's a possibility of me doing it, it's just been talked about as a possibility," Merriman said. "Especially a lot of things happening with the CBA and stuff like that going on. All that stuff will take care of itself. I've just been training to get back to where I want to be playing football. Because that's the most important thing to me in my life right now."

The talk of Merriman wrestling has arisen because former pro wrestler, Bill Goldberg, has mused about a return to the squared circle -- and Goldberg has said that he'd come back as a member of a tag team with Merriman. The fact that Merriman is a restricted free agent in 2010 and could be, depending on the rules that will apply, an unrestricted free agent in 2011, it's not ridiculous to consider the possibility that the free-spirited Merriman would opt to turn the "Lights Out" with a folding chair for a year, before resuming his NFL career.

He's now made it clear -- if he's going to swing any chairs at all, it'll happen on a football field.