1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Oher cut by Titans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Feb 5, 2015.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
  2. The Lightning Will

The Lightning Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +61
    If we get Michael Oher, we need to keep telling him that Philip Rivers is his mom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Piss on him.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Camp contract, nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I’d like for the Chargers to kick the tires on him. How much did anyone expect from King Dunlap when he first came here, let go by the Eagles?

The prospect of a re-signed Dunlap at left tackle, Oher at right tackle & Fluker at right guard could be pretty good for us. We would only be looking for a permanent center and a starting left guard, (one of which will likely be Chris Watt) and we’d be set, and free to pursue needs at other positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    If the Ravens let him go and then the Titans
    Pass. Maybe for camp to test others

7. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    The Ravens let go of Jarrett Johnson, the Patriots of Danny Woodhead, the Broncos of Eddie Royal & the Chiefs of Brandon Flowers and they all played pretty well for us – money and perceived worth are often factors in these decisions, and some teams prefer to spend the bulk of their money on certain players or positions of need and that makes other guys expendable to them, but possibly invaluable to another team.

I don’t view the fact that the Titans cut Michael Oher as some kind of disqualifier that should prevent the Bolts from at least taking a look at him. I’m not suggesting that they throw the Brinks truck at Oher, simply bring him in & check him out. He’s a veteran player with a Superbowl ring who plays right tackle, which happens to be a position of need for us. We should sign him to a 1 year contract, and if he doesn’t work out we can release him in training camp (like with Max Starks) without too much financial pain.

I for one, would like for both of our tackles to be veteran players, especially with youngsters (Fluker, Watt & likely another young lineman) filling out the middle of our O-line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Well said.
    Oher has been healthy enough to play in 91 of 96 possible games his teams played.
    Of those 91 days, the teams (mostly the Ravens, mostly pretty good teams) chose him as the starter all 91 times.

Unless the Chargers somehow have a radically improved offensive line right away,
    I don't think that they're in any position to ignore a guy like Oher just because the Titans let him go.

9. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I agree, sign for camp and see what happens. Sometimes a change of scenery gives a spark!

10. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I can actually see him working out. Agree with the Dunlap comparison, Eagles couldn't get him out the door fast enough. Worst case scenario we cut him n take little to no cap hit.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Don't see him being in the same position as Dunlap. Dunlap showed some flashes, and had injuries as an excuse for repeated poor performance. Oher hasn't lived up to his billing anywhere he went. If you could get him for very cheap maybe he'd be a nice body to compete for a third tackle spot but that's it.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Pretty much this. Oher, outside of his rookie season, hasn't lived up to the hype. Dunlap was also coming from a different offense and different blocking system... and also wasn't getting ragdolled in pass-pro and run-blocking like Oher was this year. Oher, in this case, is coming from a scheme and blocking system put in place by our most recent former offensive coordinator. I'd say, unless he was playing through injury or just plain dragging *** (and somehow we feel we can light a fire under him), the fact that he performed poorly in Tennessee is a pretty good indicator of what his performance at the same position would be here.

Just because a guy is a vet with a ring doesn't make him good. Whiffy Wilhelm has a ring. Mount Cody has a ring; he's still a lazy, stiff, and very mediocre player.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We need linemen, he is a lineman. He has played well in the past. Maybe he's got something left, maybe not. At the very least he's worth a look IMO.

Based Telesco gonna square it all up this offseason.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Why should we care whether he "lived up to the hype"?
    Just because he wasn't nearly as big star on the field as when Sandra Bullock played his
    hot MILF "mum" on the silver screen, doesn't mean he couldn't improve our C-/D+ o-line.

And again, I think most people in the know recognize this as more of a financial move by the Titans...
    remember, the Titans started the guy 11 out of 11 times he was healthy
    (just as the Ravens started him every single game they played in his 5 years there)

To date, no coaching staff has ever looked at Oher in their daily practices
    --over almost 100 games--and decided that Oher should be second string that week.
    I'd argue that plenty of our current line would probably be back-ups if on other teams...

If his 2014 injury is behind him, Oher's probably an upgrade for the Chargers...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. The Lightning Will

The Lightning Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +61
    I bet Sandra Bullock wouldn't have called the two handoffs to Donald Brown to end the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Oher's already being talked up as being a suitor for the Broncos, the Skins and Da Bears!

Don't think that he's simply gonna be driving a cab or selling shoes till the Chargers FO
    calls up to offer him a trial ;)

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Actually, it's also a performance issue. The Titans didn't bench him because they didn't have a better option; they're starting LT, Michael Roos, went on IR in October and so the guy that would have pushed Oher out of his spot for underperformance (Taylor Lewan) was pressed into action in place of Roos.

Sorry Lance, but I watched enough Titan games last season on Sunday Ticket to see Oher get ragdolled consistently firsthand. The guy literally looked on the level with Mike Harris and Brandyn Dombrowski. Context is key. Yes, Oher stayed healthy and started as a result of it, but the fact that he started isn't some great testament to his quality so much as his ability to stay healthy where others on his team couldn't (and the Ravens only carried three tackles on their roster for the majority of the time he was on their roster).

Aside from a Super Bowl ring (and teams win those, not individuals), there is nothing about Oher's play that shows him to be an kind of upgrade over Fluker. Both had one standout season - their rookie years respectively - and have looked average-at-absolute-best since and at times worse.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I'm not going to pretend that I saw him play a lot last season, because I had little time for Titan games.

But I do know a bit about line depth, and I'm trying to think of a time similar to your perception of
    Oher's time with the Titans (when your best option is supposedly a starter who's routinely getting creamed,
    and the GM doesn't make a move to at least plug in a C- free agent to stop the bleeding).

Besides, I wasn't referring solely to Fluker...hell, Fluke's in the upper half of our o-line pool. :oops:

We all know that neither Oher's nor Fluker's (nor numerous other guys') positions are etched in stone.
    Even if Oher was brought in for depth, and started behind lesser players, this line would probably
    still be better. Look, I'm not on fire to go get Oher...but unless Telesco is significantly more energetic
    re. improving the line than he was last offseason, then for guys in here to say "We don't need that bum, Oher"
    just seems to be naive about how talent deficient the Chargers are up front.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm simply saying that, having seen him play recently, he's really not (hard as that may be to believe) an improvement over what where' trying to improve upon. Plugging the same holes with different, but ultimately similarly flawed, pegs doesn't solve the problem.

I'm really not sure - unless you're looking largely from a 20/20 hindsight viewpoint that no one could have reasonably had when the decisions were being made - what all more you were expecting Telesco to do with the limited resources available last season? No one ever accused the Titans GM of being smart. Nor Whis for that matter, particularly as a head coach - in Arizona he continuously left Levi Brown at LOT despite the fact he got creamed week in and week out; same could be said for Bobby Massie (you remember, that Arizona team that was one of the only two to give up more sacks than we did the season where Norv and the OL seemed to be on a covert mission to get Rivers killed). There's a number of reasons why Tennessee was one of the teams with the worst record in the league last season, one of them was the god awful play of their OL. Outside of maybe 2-3 guys, and at least one of those is a restricted free agent, there really isn't a whole helluvalot on the free agent OT market that's proven to be any better than Willie Smith. And if that's the case, you just draft. Maybe, if you can get a guy to bite, you bring someone in on a low-guarantee camp contract, but the guys who sign those deals - unless they're coming off of recent surgery - are rarely, if ever, the guys who have demonstrated to be quality depth.

21. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Don’t look now, but Oher’s “new team” is now 11-0!

I’m not saying we’d also be undefeated had we signed him, but I wanted our front office to at least bring him in and check him out – if we had signed him and he didn’t get hurt like most of the rest of our linemen, he probably would’ve helped us out alot more than Orlando Franklin, Chris Hairston or even Joe Barksdale.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    I don't know anyone who hated the Orlando Franklin signing at the time it was made.

Let's take off our 20/20 hindsight goggles here.

23. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I certainly didn’t, he was a veteran O-Lineman from a divisional rival but in hindsight, we may have been able to get Oher for less than what we spent on Franklin, and Oher is a natural tackle who was drafted in the 1st round, who has played in nearly 30 more games than Franklin.

As we’ve seen all season, would’ve likely gotten better production out of him than we’ve gotten from Franklin no matter what we paid him to sign with us. I’m not some “Johnny come lately” to this opinion, I called for him to be looked at by this team once he became available, and Oher signed a 2 year $7 million contract by the Panthers 4 days before we signed Franklin to a 5 year deal worth about $36 million – had we pursued Oher & gotten him, we probably wouldn’t have signed Orlando (and saved a bunch of cash to address other needs) and we’d probably be better off today, and going forward.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    has he played for the colts?

25. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    No, or Telesco would’ve definitely kicked his tires! :p

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Oher's played well. Good for him. It's amazing what a (reasonably) healthy team - their OL at least has managed to maintain health on the whole - that's well-coached can do. Oher was still utter trash in Tennessee and the definition of average in Baltimore (drafted as a LT, pretty much bombed there, was serviceable but never outstanding as an RT and that was playing next to a Top 5 RG).

I'm with Leo on this. Swap out Oher for Barksdale or Hairston and 20/20 hindsight really tells us nothing because he just as easily could be floundering trying to stay healthy, not have stabilized given the constant state of flux of our line, or just flat out not responded due to our milk toast coaching and horribly predictable play-calling.

27. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I think Oher was a much better “bet” in the offseason, and should’ve been pursued by this team. He would’ve been much cheaper than Franklin (and we were already preparing to move Fluker to guard, so we needed a RT more than a LG) and is probably more talented than any of the linemen we either retained or acquired, except for King Dunlap.

Bottom line: he probably could’ve been ours, and likely on the cheap to boot. Our probable loss is definitely Carolina’s gain, and they’re certainly reaping & enjoying the benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Oher could never have picked up our intricate blocking schemes: mill about in a hesitant, unorganized fashion on run plays and take turns whiffing in pass pro.

• Funny Funny x 1