1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Turner on the trading block?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=24

Michael Turner - #33 - Running back - 5'10" - 237lbs

News: The Jets may have interest in Chargers RB Michael Turner and/or Cardinals RB Marcel Shipp.
    Impact: Turner averaged nearly six yards-per-carry as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup in '05 and knows Jets coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Both Arizona and San Diego are short on defensive backs, where New York has a number of young talents. (Wed. Aug 9, 2006)

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I don't think that The Burner is on the block. Mini-me Schott may want to get him, but I'm thinking that the Jets would have to give up the house for AJ to send him away.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'd welcome D'Brick in exchange. :icon_wink:

But surely, the Jets GM isn't that stupid to give up a future franchise LT for a RB.

Or is he........ :icon_huh:

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. is a shrewed mother.

I would hate to see the "burner" go but if A.J. gets us starting D.B. or an O-lineman and a draft pick - let's say a second rounder .... I would jump all over it. :yes:

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    If I were GM only way I get rid of Turner is for a 1st from a horrible team. Jets want to give us their 2007 1st rounder then I do it.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    How about a 2nd rounder and a player - either a DB or a fat boy ?

7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Turner will be gone eventually. He is an integral part of the team as a backup but he can become a star in the NFL, he knows it everyone else knows it, and it can't happen while he's behind Tomlinson.

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Depends on what type of player. A 2nd rounder and a guy like Justin Miller.... no way. If someone wants Turner they have to dish out a LOT. Turner is a franchise running back he's worth a top draft pick or a late 1st early 2nd rounder and a young up and comer.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    May as well get something before the well runs dry.

IF AJ snagged a second rounder for the dude, he could package our second and third to get a first rounder next year.

We still have a second and the compensatory third we should get for losing Brees after the dust settles....

10. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Even if they wanted to the would get crucified for making that deal.

I'll settle for:

Michael Turner + Donnie Edwards

for

Jonathon Vilma + 2007 3rd rounder. :icon_mrgreen:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I asked some Jets fans in Vegas last year if they would go for a Vilma for Philip Rivers swap and they said no way.

12. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    We're going to be drowning in picks next year. Not only should we get a 3rd round comp but perhaps an extra 4th and a 5th or even more than that :icon_mrgreen:

13. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Scroo Vilma I want Patrick Willis :icon_mrgreen:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    With the scouting staff in place and Buddy Nix on the prowl, I like those draft picks even more so.

I know A.J. covets draft picks over a player such as Cleo Lemon.

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Watchu talkin bout Willis? :unsure:

16. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I agree with MTL. With the depth we now have, having 12 draft picks doesn't do us a ton of good. What with 4 maybe 5 tops making the team. I'd go for the quality (first day) over the quality.

17. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Lemon will never start a game in the NFL.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    '

I disagree 100%.

You can bundle those draft picks to move up and have 6 quality players versus 12 wannabees.....

You have more poker chips to play with at the NFL's bargaining table and that is ALWAYS a GOOD thing.

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    It's not like I want to trade Turner. :lol:

The only way we trade Turner is if we get to give the Jets the shaft. Plus I think you underestimate the greatness of Donnie. Or did you forget that he was a vital part of the package?

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Hey look at this Cro pick I found he's on all fours for leisure

[​IMG]

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    The simple fact that you disagree with me, makes me feel that much better about my view. I like to use you as a barometer. :icon_rofl: :icon_banana: :icon_tease:

22. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    A team can get up to four Compensatory Picks in one draft.

I think we'll get a 3rd, 5th and 7th (maybe two 7th's). The 5th, IMO, could be a 4th if Leber's contract is high enough.

I think we'll get the first 3rd round compensatory pick issued for the Brees deal with NO. The Saints should NOT get a compensatory pick for Bentley, because they signed a similar priced FA in Brees.

It's also possible that Indy might not get a compensatory pick for Edge, because of the Vinaterri(sp) contract.

The one or two 7th's will be for the loss of Caldwell and Peelle. But, one or more of those could cancel with the signings of McCree and Shea.

I THINK you can only get a compensatory pick if you lose a player that you DRAFTED - however, I've never seen that stipulation listed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Specifically on the Turner speculation of a trade. I think it's just a rumor probably started by another East Coast shock jock looking to make a name for himself. The Jets are as secretive as SD, New England, etc, now with the Mangini regime in charge. I seriously doubt anyone in the organization tossed out Shipp's or Turner's name to the press.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would take Lemon over anyone on the staff here ..... Lemon blew away Rivers and Brees in pre-season last year. I would like to see that again.

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    One of the most physical run stuffers in the West, Babatunde Oshinowo (pronounced ba-ba-TOON-day OH-shi-no-who) has not only excelled for Stanford on the football field, but also in the classroom, earning All-Pac 120 Conference academic honors three times in his career. A force in the middle of the field, he combines intelligence, quickness, strength and determination to be a disruptive force in the opposing backfield. A co-term student working on a Master's and Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, he went by O.J. as a true freshman, but changed to his given name of Oshinowo in 2002.

Oshinowo earned Prep Star All-American honors as a senior defensive lineman at Neuqua Valley High School. Prep Star also ranked him as the seventh-best defensive line prospect in the Midwest. He added Super Prep All-Midwest Region honors and was a member of Max Emfinger's Top 300 recruit list. Academically, he was a National Achievement Scholar Finalist, National Merit Commended Award winner, Illinois State and Indian Prairie scholar and a six-time Academic All-Conference.

The two-time All-Area, All-Conference and Conference Defensive MVP accounted for 106 tackles, 28 stops behind the line of scrimmage and eleven quarterback sacks during his career. He recorded 48 tackles, 13 stops for losses, six sacks, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble as a senior, earning first-team All-State honors. He competed in the discus at the state track and field meet in 2000 and 2001 and also threw the shot put.

Oshinowo redshirted in 2001 at Stanford. He earned second-team Academic All-Pac 10 honors as a reserve nose guard in 2002. He collected 23 tackles (15 solos) with three sacks and five stops behind the line of scrimmage. He emerged from 2003 fall camp as the starting nose guard, a position he would keep for the next 33 games. He was a first-team Academic All-Pac 10 and All-District VIII choice, adding All-Pac 10 honorable mention. Oshinowo made 25 tackles (17 solos) with four sacks, eight stops behind the line of scrimmage, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery that year.

Oshinowo posted 41 tackles (29 solos) with 3.5 sacks and 5.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage in 2004, earning Tommy Vardell Award honors (player who best epitomizes excellence in both athletics and academics). He was again the recipient of the Tommy Vardell Award as a senior, coming up with a career-high 54 tackles (36 solos), 4.5 sacks and 10.5 stops for losses. He also caused a fumble and recovered two others.

In 44 games with the Cardinal, Oshinowo started 34 times. He recorded 143 tackles (97 solos) with fifteen sacks for minus 111 yards and 30 stops for losses of 149 yards. He caused two fumbles, recovered three others and deflected five passes.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a very thick frame, above average upper body strength, powerful hands, long arms, wide waist, very big bubble and exceptional lower body thickness...Very intelligent athlete who is quick to read and diagnose when working in the box (loses sight of the ball when on the move)...When he stays low in his pads and keeps his hands active, he is a force that can easily split double teams...Hits with a thud and has the arm strength to drag ball carriers down with one hand...Has the low center of gravity that prevents single blockers from pushing him back through the holes...Gets a very explosive push into the center to turn and rock his opponent back on his heels...More of a bull rusher than a pass rusher, but once he zeros in on the quarterback, he will hit with force...Can be a disruptive force with his straight-line burst...Excels at clogging the rush lanes and will collapse the pocket if he gets an explosive burst off the snap.

Negatives: Lack of lateral range makes him more of an inside-the-box type rather than one who can make plays on the move...Loses balance and gets washed out of the play when trying to give pursuit around the edge...Smart, instinctive player who despite those attributes, will still get caught up in traps and is late recognizing screens...Has to stay low in his pads to be effective...When he gets too high in his stance, he will leave his chest exposed and lose leverage...Tries to overpower blockers at times and is not active enough with his hands to shed and disengage consistently...Lacks the range to make plays in space...Needs to do a better job of wrap tackling, as he has a high amount of face mask penalties (see 2005 Arizona State and UCLA games).

Oshinowo has a compact and very thick frame. He has broad shoulders, good arm length, big hands, wide waist, big bubble and good body control working in the short area. He lacks sudden quickness coming off the snap and has limited range working outside the box, but shows powerful arm swipes and a strong anchor to deliver crunching tackles along the line of scrimmage.

Oshinowo has excellent field instincts and is quick to recognize blocking schemes. Despite his wide hips and waist, he demonstrates the knee bend to drop his weight and stay low in his pads. He needs to do a better job of coming off the snap, as he looks sluggish at times and will lose balance, letting blockers create rush lanes by washing him out of the play.

His best asset is his ability to stand up blockers and control them in the trenches. He is quite effective at gaining leverage and it is very rare that a blocker can ride or push him back, but when he flows laterally to the ball, he can get neutralized due to stiff hips and the inability to redirect or escape when working in motion. Despite his field vision, he will get caught up in traps, especially when he fails to recognize screens. When he gets high in his stance and exposes his chest, he struggles to hold at the point. He has the strength to stack and control, but needs to keep his pads low in order to accomplish it.

Oshinowo is an immovable force once he digs in and plants, but must do a better job with his hands in attempts to disengage. He is just not the type that gets the hand placement needed to gain separation. He can control and throw the blockers around when he locks on, but does not do this with consistency. He is better on down blocks, where he can backdoor single blocks, but would be even better if he can generate consistent hand explosion.

Oshinowo shows good effort in attempts to flatten down the line, but it is rare to see him make tackles outside the box. He has limited range to work in space and is more comfortable when he is allowed to just run the box rather than outside of it. As a bull rusher, he is very capable of turning the center and rocking him back on his feet, but lacks great pass rush moves. He destroys backs that come up the rush lane, but needs to be quicker with his hands to combat combo blocks.

His range is suspect, as he can't accelerate for long distances and while he has a decent burst to close, he is better off shooting the gaps that coming off the edge. He is tough to block once he gets into the backfield, though. With his thick frame, he might be better served in a 3-4 alignment, especially with his lack of lateral range to chase outside the box. He will need to add more bulk to play that position in the pros, but with his strong base, he will be a great stationary force, once he learns better hand technique.

INJURY REPORT

No injuries reported.

CAREER NOTES

Started his last 34 games for the Cardinal...Durable athlete who never missed a game due to an injury...95 of his 143 tackles were registered during the last two years...Led the defense with 10.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage as a senior.

AGILITY TESTS

Campus: 5.31 in the 40-yard dash...510-pound bench press...675-pound squat...35 1/4-inch arm length...9 7/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Neuqua Valley (Naperville, Ill.) High School...Earned Prep Star All-American honors as a senior defensive lineman...Prep Star also ranked him as the seventh-best defensive line prospect in the Midwest...Added Super Prep All-Midwest Region honors and was a member of Max Emfinger's Top 300 recruit list...Academically, he was a National Achievement Scholar Finalist, National Merit Commended Award winner, Illinois State and Indian Prairie scholar and a six-time Academic All-Conference...The two-time All-Area, All-Conference and Conference Defensive MVP accounted for 106 tackles, 28 stops behind the line of scrimmage and eleven quarterback sacks during his career...He recorded 48 tackles, 13 stops for losses, six sacks, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble as a senior, earning first-team All-State honors...Competed in the discus at the state track and field meet in 2000 and 2001 and also threw the shot put.

PERSONAL

Co-term student working on a Master's and Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering... Went by O.J. as a true freshman, but changed to his given name of Babatunde in 2002... Was the Jazz Band Section leader (trombone) and Wind Symphony Orchestra section leader (baritone) in high school...Born Babatunde Oluwasegun Temitope Oluwakorede Adisa Oshinowo, Jr. on 1/14/83...Resides in Naperville, Illinois.

Fugg leis, why didn't we take him? :icon_sad:

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Lemon did look great last season. Then again, that was against guys now playing in the arena league.

If he is half the QB that he showed in very limited action against very marginal competitiion, then why would one organization trade him away. Then the team that gets him goes out and gets two big name big dollar QB in trades. That tells me a lot more about Cleo Lemon than a 4th quarter comeback in a meaningless preseason game.

26. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Then tell me ......

Why would AJ (insert "AJ is GAWD" photo here) trade him away?

Why would Saban trade to acquire - not one, but TWO QB's this offseason? (and one of them being Joey "Pocket Lock" Harrington).

I don't dislike Lemon at all, but he sure gets a lot of hype for throwing the ball against a bunch of scrubs (who would be backups in the NFLE) in 4th quarter pre-season garbage time.

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    BTW MTL's big boy baba had a sack yesterday from the NT position :icon_eek: Dude doesn't realize his own strength he would have learned how to dominate from Jamal because the physical skills intelligence and hard work is there. He will succeed Ted Washington next year and become a great NT and we could have traded our 6ths (Clary and Kurt Smith) for him :icon_rofl:

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    All great points Shammy.:icon_rofl:

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There is weight given to the round the "drafted" and not undrafted player is acquired (Brees was acquired in the 2nd & Bentley in the 2nd as well).

If Bentley were a 5th round pick and had the same contract as Brees - something should be awarded for a comp. pick.