1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MICHAEL TURNERS ANKLE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070827-9999-1s27chargers.html

A postitive turn of events?
    Turner's ankle injury not as bad as first thought

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 27, 2007

[​IMG]
    The Chargers aren't overly concerned about Michael Turner's high ankle sprain, which isn't considered major, but the backup running back could be questionable up to the Sept. 9 season opener against the Chicago Bears.

The news was good about Michael Turner and his sprained right ankle yesterday, the Chargers think.
    “It sounded better than you might have thought the night before,” coach Norv Turner said. “He's all right.”

And, besides, this is football, where they never let you see them sweat.

“You're not going to get me worked up about injuries,” Turner said. “It's just part of the deal. When he's back, he's back.”

And, with all due respect to the $2.35 million man, who might be the best backup running back in the NFL, he is No. 2 to No. 21.

“If we didn't have LT (LaDainian Tomlinson) and he (Turner) was our starting tailback,” Norv Turner said, “I'd be nervous.”

Turner suffered a high ankle sprain in the second quarter of the Chargers' third exhibition game Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals. The opinion yesterday was that the injury was not major. Turner could be questionable up to the Sept. 9 season opener, but Norv Turner and General Manager A.J. Smith sounded optimistic.

Of course, Smith was, like Norv Turner, cool about the whole thing.

“You always get the initial prognosis,” Smith said. “It means nothing to me for two days. (Not until) 48 hours later (do) you get into reality – what are we dealing with? Nothing I can do about it anyway. As long as it's not really bad, but we won't know for two days.”

As it is, the Chargers are seemingly set up well at running back: Tomlinson plays in a stratum few ever occupy, Turner follows somewhere later, and the Andrew Pinnocks and Darren Sproleses of the world are just nice players to have in the stable.

After another nifty, shifty performance against the Cardinals, Sproles has most likely established himself as a member of this team for 2007, a punt returner and possibly a third-down back who can be called on for some special situations. Pinnock is the backup fullback, who played well Saturday and has long been considered the heir to Turner's spot when Turner leaves as a free agent after this season..........

CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :tup:

Pinnock is Marion Butts, but without the butt.

3. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    “You always get the initial prognosis,” AJ Smith said. “It means nothing to me for two days. (Not until) 48 hours later (do) you get into reality – what are we dealing with? Nothing I can do about it anyway. As long as it's not really bad, but we won't know for two days.”

Sounds like we don't know anything yet, so how can they say it doesn't look bad? Just positive spin? :icon_huh:

4. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Turner, the burner, will be fine, if he needs to be.:yes:

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    midget man is breathing a little easier this week

:tup:

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't know what these guys are really saying. A high ankle sprain can potentially be a big deal. Both Norv and AJ are talking out of their asses and contradicting themselves in their comments.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not hitting the panic button, gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It takes a while for the trauma to set in. Like leisures return from the dead. :yes:

9. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    A couple pain pills and ice, the dude should be good as new.

Oldie Out

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    How about this?

McKinney suffered a high ankle sprain, and most people just shat their pants and worried "Who's going to be Jamal's backup now?!?!?!??!?!?!?"

Well, he came out of his walking boot, and could play Thursday's game versus the 49ers. At the very latest, he'll be ready to back up Jamal against the Bears.

Sum total: About 2 weeks due to the "high ankle sprain".

Turner's injury is about that severity.

He'll miss the 49ers game, and is questionable for Chicago. Every Chargers player listed as questionable last year pretty much played that week.

So, Turner's out for about 2 weeks.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Word...much ado about nuthin

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

I think McKinney may really be a troll, they regenerate fast.:lol:

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    See, that article about Igor? He's that "troll" if there ever was one. :icon_eek: :icon_tease:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If we can trust the team to have told the truth about the extent of the injury, then if it is a milder sprain, 2-3 weeks would be about right. This team, however, is not always accurate in what it says about injured players. We'll know more when someone reliable sees him walking around without noticeable difficulty.

15. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    It's certainly a relief, but you still somewhat have to hold your breath. See Shaun Alexander's foot injury last year.

16. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Man, you seem to be the only one seeing this as I do. They said a few words about "it doesn't seem too bad" and everyone's buying it and breathing easier.

We don't know yet... and that's not me saying it, it's AJ.

High ankle sprains are NOT something I have blind faith about. I can hope for the best, but to say "he'll be fine", at this point, it's just wishful thinking.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Ankle sprains can be killer on an athlete but Turner is not a fat slob, beer swilling bum that tripped in his own puke. He'll have all the best in medicine and training to get back to work. :bolt:

19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I love worrying about backups and not starters. I believe Turner will be good, and he will rawk once he's in there.

20. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Hey how did you hear about my injury at the Seattle game? You weren't there!:icon_eek:

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    :icon_rofl: :lol: :icon_shrug: :flag: :icon_toast:

22. fredfan

fredfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe Norv has taken lessons from AJ on that subject (***-talk) because this isn't the first time I've read this kind of double-speak from AJ. It's kind of comical.

I'm just relieved Sproles is looking so good this preseason. And I'm hoping Pinnock can bang around some defenders (as backups) until Michael Turner is officially good to go. I hope we give Turner at least a month off.

23. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Andrew Pinnock makes me nervous. [​IMG]

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Saying you hope we give Turner a month off when you don't know the severity of the injury is the epitome of talking out of your ***.

I think AJ and Norv are just conveying what's been said. Turner said he feels alot better, so that's what they are reporting. I haven't seen any predictions about when Turner will be back from either of those guys.

25. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/chargers-playing-winning.htm

The thing's barely even a sprain. Can people stop worrying about Turner's ankle now?

26. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Yes. Now that the x-rays came back negative (great news!). I just wanted some facts other then people on this forum saying "he'll be fine".

PowderLove made a great point. With all the talent on this team's roster, we have the luxury to worry about back-ups!

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172