1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Vick files for bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Imprisoned quarterback Michael Vick filed for bankruptcy protection while serving time for federal dogfighting charges, saying he owes between $10 million and $50 million to creditors.

Vick filed Chapter 11 papers in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Newport News on Monday. The seven largest creditors listed in the court papers are owed a total of about $12.8 million.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback hopes he “can, after the conclusion of the bankruptcy case, rebuild his life on a personal and spiritual level, resurrect his image as a public figure, and resolve matters with the NFL such that he can resume his career,” according to the filings.

Vick is serving a 23-month prison sentence at the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., after pleading guilty last year to bankrolling a dogfighting ring. He was subsequently suspended indefinitely without pay and lost all his major sponsors, including Nike. He also faces state charges related to dogfighting.

The debt includes part of a signing bonus that the Falcons are seeking to recover.

After the plea on dogfighting charges, the Falcons tried to recover about $20 million in bonuses Vick earned from 2004 to 2007. But a federal judge held that Vick is entitled to keep all but $3.75 million of the money paid to him for playing football through the 2014 season.

According to the filings, Vick’s other debts include $4.5 million owed to Richmond-based Joel Enterprises Inc., and $550,0000 owed to Radtke Sports Inc. for breach of contract.

In May, a federal judge ordered Vick to repay about $2.5 million to a Canadian bank for defaulting on a loan. The Royal Bank of Canada had sued Vick in September, arguing his guilty plea to a federal dogfighting charge—and the resulting impact on his career—prevented him from repaying the loan.

A default judgment for $1.08 million also was entered in January against Vick and a business partner in a lawsuit brought by Wachovia Bank over a loan for an Atlanta-area wine shop and restaurant.

*And yet I still don't have my beer.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    legal fees are a *****... :yes:

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Dude is fuked unless he has some $$$$ stashed off shore.

Hopefully when he did things like buy mom a house, he put it in her name.

4. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah exactly, thats what i would be doing

5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Gee, I wish I could muster some sympathy for the poor sonofabee, but I guess I'm a quart low. Michael Vick deserves every rotten, stinking thing that happens to him, IMHO.:icon_evil:

6. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    People always wonder how somebody that rich can be bankrupt. But like they say, the more you make the more you spend!:icon_shrug:

7. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I often wondered how someone that well off could be that STUPID! It sounds like he is finally getting exactly what he deserves. I just hope that when he gets out ,goddell doesn't let him back in the NFL. What a loser!!!:icon_rofl:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748