1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Vick offered a contract.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LV Bolt Fan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/news.aspx?id=4229058

Arena football team offers contract to Vick
    Albany, NY (Sports Network) - The Albany Firebirds of the arenafootball2 league have offered an incentive-laden contract to former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

Vick was suspended by the NFL in August 2007 after pleading guilty to a federal felony charge involving an illegal dog fighting ring. He is currently serving a 23-month prison sentence.

"At the start of the season we'd made the decision as an organization not to pursue Michael," said team general manager Garen Szablewski. "However, in light of the team's recent struggles, we were forced to re-examine the issue. After days of heated debate within the front office, we put together an offer that made everyone comfortable with the idea of signing him."

As per arenafootball2 policy, no team can sign a player currently suspended by the NFL, so the contract will not take effect until Vick is reinstated. The deal requires Vick to make a $100,000 donation to a local humane society.

Vick, the top pick of the 2001 NFL Draft out of Virginia Tech, spent six seasons with the Falcons, playing in 74 games -- 67 starts. He has accumulated 11,505 passing yards and 71 passing touchdowns to go with 3,859 rushing yards and 21 scores via the ground. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship Game before falling to Philadelphia

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    You HAVE to be ******** me.

This guy doesn't deserve a second shot at big money and fame. He deserves nothing more than a chance to spend the rest of his life in obscurity, working a real job and learning how to be a halfway decent human being. 'Nuff said. Bleah.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I agree, and toiling in the AFL2, he'll be doing jes that.

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Raiders, bank it.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    the guy served his time, afl just trying to get some ink no way does he sign. I dont remember him getting a life sentence, someone in the nfl will give him a shot. Hope he is a changed man and best of luck to him.

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I have to disagree. I have nothing against animals and i have a boxer myself but there's people dying everywhere due to gangs, sicknesses, violence and war, but we're putting people in jail for years because they mistreating animals? People get away with murder every day but we concentrate on animal fighting. I'm guessing Donte Stallworth deserve's life in obscurity too? No, no one mentioned that when the thread came up..

Again, what he did was wrong and he served his time for it. No need to go THAT far though. People make mistakes all the time.

Wish him the best of luck because he has real talent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Agreed...

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree but in a messed up way, this is GREAT for Arena Football.

One word... Ratings!
    ESPN will be all over it and maybe even ABC, NBC, and other mainstream channels. His fist game will be televised... bank on it!
    If people continue to watch afterwards, it will continue to air.

9. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Worst comparison ever. What Stallworth did was stupid, but it was an accident. I can say with almost absolute surety that he did not leave his house that morning with the intention of running someone over and killing them.

On the other hand, Vick left his house regularly to viciously fight and slaughter these dogs. He choked them to death with his own hands, drowned them, and many other things maliciously and intentionally. There was nothing but savagery and brutality in what he did, and anyone who treats ANY living thing like how he did, be it animal or human deserves at the very least contempt and the derision of the society he lives in.

The sad and scary thing is, this type of behavior is fairly widespread and the acceptance of it is widespread as well. Once people start treating other living things as possessions and not as, well, living things, then they start losing their touch with humanity.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hear what you're saying but this should not excuse Vick or anybody else involved in the same actions from doing time. It's not murder but it's a pretty serious crime and it should be taken seriously.

Also... I don't believe that Vick's trial took away from any murder trial (except in the media). Our system isn't always right but I have a hard time believing a murder was set free due to the Vick trial (unless there was lack of evidence or he/she had OJ money).

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    EXCELLENT POST!!! :tup:

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I've got no use for him.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He should never be allowed in the NFL again. It's a PRIVILEGE, not a right, and IMO, he forfeited that right by being a jackass.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    The team prez made the offer without the owner knowing - once the owner found out he pulled the offer...

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If the dude were Tom Brady WHITE, I bet most would sweep it under the rug and forgetaboutit or make a joke about it as a societal salve and move on.

:icon_eek: :icon_twisted: :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Once again, he served his time. I'm not excusing his actions as some do based on the breed he was evil toward, I don't like what he did, but if our criminal justice system releases thousand upon thousands on child molestors back into civilization and grants their right to seek employment mike vick certainly deserves the right to earn a living.

The guy choked and drown viscous unpredictable child eating dogs. He was brutal toward a breed which has a following of people praying for their extinction. I have grown so tired of seeing these dogs attack people, with the moron owners all saying the same thing, "he's always been very friendly, I didn't see it coming."

He lost his freedom, his houses, all his money, if he can still play (work) then he will have all the right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Was that marketing department the same one that authorized the 747 fly-by in NY?

:icon_huh:

WTF are some people thinking???

:icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    AFL is currently on hiatus until at least 2010 (if not longer considering they have lost at least one city as a result) and I don't see him playing for a AF2 team .. I'm thinking Vick will sign with someone in the NFL before AFL returns. I heard someone report on ESPN that there are 2 or 3 teams interested in signing him.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Little of the Rams got drunk and killed people and still played.

Ray Lewis lied and someone died.

PacMan and the dude that got paralyzed by his Pacman's posse.

Yet Vick is the devil ? :icon_rofl:

It was a DOG ... a freaking DOG.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    If they were Caucasian they probably would have given them medals. :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 2
  21. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    It was a very unstable dog that is only mentioned for drastic negatives, eating the neighbors cat, killing an elderly lady, I couldn't watch a dog fight, but if there was a breeed intended to do it, they got it right.

People over animals, especially that dog!

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We would teach our farm dogs to kill the neighbors farm dogs otherwise we shot them for sport. The neighbors dogs would kill our chickens, baby goats etc so it was WAR.

Rooster fights are the ****. Especially the razors on the legs. Ginsu city.

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    He's served his time, if he gets a deal to play then good for him. But it doesn't mean I have to like him.

It wasnt ONE dog, it was dozens of them. Innocent animals who rely on people to care for them that he abused and murdered for sport. He knew he was breaking the law, but he didn't care and so he was punished.

People love a redemption story - so if he is truly sorry for what he did and is publicly apologetic I'm sure in time he'll end up a martyr on E:60 or something :p

But anyone who can so flippantly abuse an innocent creature like that, human or otherwise is not someone I would ever knowingly cheer for. I don't care what color his skin is or how talented he is. I don't cheer for thugs :tdown:

24. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Exceedingly well said, and true. Great post!!:tup:

• Like Like x 2
  25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Dogs who "eat" children and attack people are bred and raised to be that way by stupid irresponsible pet owners. Or they're sick with rabies :p

I've known plenty of Pit Bulls and Rotties who were loving and social and wonderful pets. Every breed has it's tendencies, as they have been bred this way for centuries by man. Retreivers, Hounds, Terriers, etc... but they are not born "evil" or mean.

Dogs are very protective of their "pack" and their territory by nature, when you exploit that as a dog owner by neglecting an animal, beating an animal, forcing an animal to defend itself by fighting for it's life night after night and/or encouraging agressiveness you end up with animals who will attack and hurt people. Good dogs don't go bad for no reason.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    When those child molesters are back into civilization, they are listed in their neighborhood as "registered sex offenders." Not that they don't deserve it but it's not so easy for them to get their life back either.

BTW... you left a few things out about Vick's actions. He made these dogs the way they were.
    Another thing that nobody here mentioned... he also kidnapped domestic dogs and dropped them in the ring with their mouthed taped shut for practice. IMAGINE IF SOMEONE TOOK YOUR DOG OUT OF YOUR YARD AND DID THAT!

• Like Like x 2
  27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I just think Vick served his time already, he was punished for what he did which was wrong. Now he should have a second chance where ever he is.

What Stallworth did was an accident, but the alcohol he consumed was not on accident.

28. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Well if you feel like that let me bring in another side of an argument. Pacman made a threat in a club that he was going to kill someone, a human bieng but he got picked up by one of the best franchises in sports. What gives?

Vick did a bad thing. He served his time. Let him be. Pitbulls and Rottweilers have killed people, so have lion, tigers, alligator even manta rays. I guess we should put them in Animal jail forever?

29. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

This is how I feel, again i have a dog myself. Dude has filed for bankruptcy, lost almost everything and some people STILL think he deserves worse.

I've lived in Panama and dogs are walking around streets skinny as ****, eating crums that people leave behind from the little markets. There's no animal control, no nothing. They're on there own and they survive on there own, fight with each other, bite each other ears off, attack if bothered, even humans. It's sad.

But if the term "pet" never existed, that's how it would be. Pitbulls are barberic. That practically wild animals. They fight either way. I have no remorse for that breed.

Let the dude be.

30. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    The label these perveted pieces of **** are stuck with does very little to prevent them from doing it again. An estimated 35% of sex related offenders repeat the offense. I would bet you all my boltbucks that Vick will not bankroll another dog fighting ring, or choke another dog.