1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez fired

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jan 4, 2011.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Well, I hope that isn't true because I do not want Harbaugh coaching for another team, NFL or college. Really, he commands enough respect at the Cardinal that Luck and Taylor would forgo the draft to play another season in Palo Alto. Stanford's on the cusp of greatness, their first National Championship, and Harbaugh's the only guy that can deliver. I would stay at Stanford.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It was also reported that John Elway (Stanford alum) who was in California for a few days last week, and is now the Executive VP for the Broncos, was in Cali trying recruit Harbaugh to come to Denver to coach the Broncos.

If the Broncos get Harbaugh, and the panthers pass on Luck so the Broncos can get him, that wouldn't be good for the other AFC west teams

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Luck is going to be the top pick in the NFL draft. If he stays in college, a lot of people will wonder how a guy that stupid ever got into Stanford. (Wait, this is college football... scratch that... nobody will wonder anything):D

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I thought Denver already had their franchise QB?

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If you were Harbaugh, would you want Tebow or Luck? Even a ton of Bronco fans think the Tebow pick was terrible

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    So, if the first story is true, does this mean that Rich Rodriguez was fired again today?

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The story was released prematurely yesterday

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yeah, Michigan can't get much right these days. Everyone here was holding their breath thinking the play was for Harbaugh then when he didn't commit right away everyone was thinking Rich Rod would be back today. So much for that.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There are reports coming out that many of the boosters with Michigan didn't want Harbaugh because he made derogatory comments about Michigans academics a few years ago.

So maybe the AD wanted him, but was told no. Then again, maybe that is just because Harbaugh turned them down. No one knows for sure

12. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Wait...Michigan has academics?

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Dave Brandon(Mich AD) said during the presser that he has talked with Harbaugh and "will continue to talk" with him.

He also added "I personally believe that Jim Harbaugh is headed to the NFL, that's my opinion."

14. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    For what it's worth, the local news stations here in San Diego were running the reports that Brady Hoke was being asked to take the position at Michigan, but that he is apparently out of town and therefore can't comment on what is going on. (Could he be taking a vacation or business trip to Ann Arbor??...) In the meantime, a lot is being said about Hoke's potential as in two years he totally turned the Aztecs football program into something respectable and leading them to their first bowl game win since 1969. I know that he coached at Ball State for a number of years, and he is well liked in the community. Heck, even some anonymous SDSU Alum gave the program a gift of 5 million dollars to keep Hoke in San Diego.

SDSU donor pledges $5 million to help retain Hoke
    By Kevin Gemmell and Tim Sullivan

Originally published November 30, 2010 at 3:45 p.m., updated November 30, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.

SDSU Athletic Director Jim Sterk said Tuesday that a single donor, as yet unidentified, recently made a $5 million pledge that will be used toward retaining football coach Brady Hoke and to challenge other alumni and friends of the university to help fund the program.
    “It is a significant gift,” Sterk told The San Diego Union-Tribune. “It allows us to put a retention package together for Brady and the assistants and (to) help address some facility needs we have. It allows me the opportunity to be able to do some things that we wouldn’t be able to do without that resource. It’s very, very positive.
    “It also inspires some others to help.”
    Earlier Tuesday, Hoke said he could not confirm he's out of the running for the coaching job at Minnesota.
    Since his "informal" meeting last week with Minnesota Athletic Director Joel Maturi, rumors about Hoke's involvement have been swirling around cyberspace. And, with Hoke not making himself available to the media Sunday or Monday, those rumors festered.
    Hoke was given several chances to say he's not a candidate. But he didn't.
    "I can't confirm that," Hoke said. "The job was never formally offered to me. Like I said, it was a very casual conversation."
    Hoke is staying hush-hush, and for anybody who has followed him during his two seasons at SDSU, that should come as no surprise. He answered questions at his weekly news conference about his coaching future -- be it at San Diego State or another institution -- without ever really answering them.
    Hoke said he has not had any other conversations with Minnesota. However, his agent, Trace Armstrong, has.
    "But not in specifics," Hoke said.
    A call to Armstrong was not immediately returned.
    Sterk said Saturday that a retention package to keep Hoke was being put together. Noting it was "premature" to talk about specifics, the package would likely include a higher salary for Hoke, who is slated to make $700,000 next season, and his assistants. Additional upgrades to facilities and support staff would likely come with the deal.
    "Jim and I have talked and I'm excited about our conversations," Hoke said.
    Hoke is 12-12 in two season at SDSU including 8-4 this year. He has three years left on his SDSU contract and a buyout of $1.5 million.
    Hoke has also been linked to the recently available job at Indiana, but said he has not had any conversations with any other schools.
    Other than one meeting with his players last week, Hoke has not addressed the issue with his team, which is preparing for its first bowl game since 1998, the Dec. 23 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl against Navy.
    "As far as we're concerned, it's been squashed," said quarterback Ryan Lindley. "We have complete faith in him that he's here right now and he's completely dedicated to us. That's all that matters. All we can control is what's going on today and how we can prepare for what we've got coming up."
    If Hoke does leave, it would be the third head coach for Lindley, who is expected to return for his senior season.
    "If that did happen, we'd hate for it to happen, but we'd wish him the most success and I'm sure he feels the same way about us," Lindley said. "I'm pretty sure that won't happen. But we'll see."

Pointy

15. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I say Harbaugh ends up with the 49ers. The reports I have heard on Hoke the past two days have varied. Some say he is a lock in Michigan if Harbaugh turns down the job, and others say he is not a popular candidate with the Michigan fans.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dooood... I am soo trippin right now... I think I need to learn to read ruski...

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think the word prostitute is in there...

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    So does anyone know if Rodriguez is fired or not?

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No idea, if he did who is going to be ther first to say the Chargers should go get him?

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    According to the news this morning, nothing has happened. All speculation at this juncture...

21. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And then there is this tidbit:

January 5 2011 Last updated at 11:16 AM ET
    Rich Rodriguez Fired at Michigan
    By FanHouse Staff
    Rich Rodriguez's tenure at Michigan is over, one day after his firing was reported and then refuted by the school.
    The decision comes after a second day of meetings between Rodriguez and Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon. The news was officially reported Tuesday afternoon before it was clarified that Michigan had decided to fire Rodriguez, with no official move made. The school then denied those reports.
    Rodriguez had three years remaining on a $15 million contract. A buyout reportedly could pay him $2.5 million per season.
    Rodriguez brought a lot of hope to the Wolverines when he arrived from West Virginia in 2008, but the results have been very disappointing. Michigan is 15-22 in three seasons under Rodriguez. During that time, they've gone 1-10 against ranked teams and 0-3 against rivals Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Pointy