1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike freaking Scifres.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Jan 13, 2008.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I'd never thought I'd say that a PUNTER would be one of my favorite Chargers. I mean, Darren Bennett was awesome, but not like Sci-Fi.

Mike Scifres is on a whole other level.

That 66-yard MONSTER - that thing didn't just travel, it hung in the air like it was going to the moon - put the Colt offense in an untenable position with a minute and a half to go. It did as much to win the game as Merriman did pressuring Manning a few plays earlier. I've never seen a more perfect punt at a more perfect time.

And it's just not a one time thing; or the only thing (a la Lechler), for that matter. Sci-Fi can do it all. Drop it inside the 5? No prob. Boot it coffin corner? Ready to go. Launch a rocket, from your own end zone, to nail down your team's first AFCC trip since '95? He can - and he did. Now, he gets a lot of help from a stellar special teams unit, but the ball has to come off his foot first, and that foot is made out of 24-carat GOLD.

He's the best punter I've ever seen. EVER. He may not have made the Pro-Bowl, but I trade him for nobody, past or present.

Here's to you, Mike - you bionic-legged laser-ranged mother fuccer. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    my dad (a bolt sympathist, not necessarily a fan) called after the game and thought sci-fi won the game for us.
    i can't honestly say he is wrong.

3. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Scifers contributions and effort are overlooked and underappreciated by most but not true Charger fans.

Yesterday he may have won the game for us by booming that punt in the 4th QT. It gave Indy a long field to work with with little time to go. It was huge. If he shanks that punt, Indy probably scores and we lose.

I can also think of another game that Scifers probably won. The first game with Tennessee, he nailed a punt in OT that was downed at the 1 yard line and pinned the Titans back. They went 3 and out and the Chargers got the ball back and LT won it in OT.

Scifers may not have been the first pick for the Pro Bowl but we Chargers fans are aware of his contributions and are thankful.:abq2:

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Yep... both Charger fans and AJ know what a great punter he is. AJ locked him up real early. I'm the same can't believe I am writing a 'what a great player' our punter is. But he is unreal. I guess there are about 60000 Indiana natives who know him now too.

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Ya when he hit that last bomb, I was on the phone talking to my brother and he even OMG that guy is a machine!

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When Sci-Fi boomed that 66 yarder, I sat half nude and said "this mother effer is going to need the kick of his life" and holy sweet Mary mother of another god..........what a kick. :tup:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sci-fi is a WEAPON :bolt:

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Best clutch punt I've ever seen. Not only did it go 66 yards, but it had sick hang time.

9. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I had just been sayin' to my Lawrence Kansas friends what a stud this guy is. Colquit showed him up at the Arrowhead game I went to last month.....but he is legit.

Hopefully he can keep the Pats doing long 80-90 yard drives most of the day, we will find a way to stop 'em enough to stay in the game, then our OLine will take over in the second half and we will punch a ticket to Glendale.

Sci-Fi is AWESOME:icon_toast::abq2::abq1:

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Easily one of the most amazing kicks in a tight situation ever...serious big time play.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    That my friends is a play-maker

What defines a play-maker?
    A person who gets it done better then anyone could ask for when the time calls for it

Scifres is a play-maker

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    there was an interview today where Osgood was saying that he's seen Scifres kick them 80 yards in practice:icon_eek:

13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Hey, I was enjoying this thread! :icon_eek:

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    the "mini-camp" posse saw a few of those early this season... the dood keeps getting better... I think Deirdorf even said something like "you're looking at the best kicker in FB"...

SciFi is a weapon... that punt was a thing of beauty.... I could "hear" that punt returner thinking - O Phuque...:icon_eek:

15. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I was watching the NFL Replay of this game On-Demand. They used the Colt Radio announcers.

When Scifres hit that ball, even their play-by-play guy said, "Boy, he really booms one."

You can hear their analyst say softly in the background, "Oh my."

Hilarious. You could feel the air just leave the Colt balloon.

By the way, I know all radio announcers lean to the homer side, but boy those guys are truly homerrific. You can hear the depression in their voice. The best example is either the Sproles touchdown or the fourth down to end the game. The guy's voice just lowers to almost inaudible and all the excitement just dies.