1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mike McCoy: Philip Rivers must get 'back to the basics'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...coy-philip-rivers-must-get-back-to-the-basics

It's not outlandish to say that Philip Rivers' play will dictate the success or failure of the San Diego Chargers' 2013 season.
    Rivers' inconsistency has critics swarming, but new coach Mike McCoy believes his quarterback will have a "great year" as long as the team simplifies things.
    "We got to get him going back to the basics," McCoy said Monday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."
    "Take what the defense gives you. Don't be afraid to check it down. You don't have to make that big play every play."
    McCoy said Rivers gets in trouble when he tries to do too much, but it's on the entire offense to become more consistent.
    "We are going to do some different things in the passing game with him to raise the completion percentage, get the ball out of his hand a little bit quicker," McCoy said. "Help the offensive line. Run the football better. That's the key. You have to run the football."
    Rivers' 2012 season arguably was his most inconsistent since taking over as the full-time starter in 2006. McCoy is known for getting the most out of his quarterbacks (see: Tebow, Tim), but if he isn't able to fix Rivers' current downward spiral, the quarterback's bloated contract will look even more heinous.
    Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    It's hard for me to believe that Rivers is at the crossroads of his career and seems to be in a make or break situation. Although, moving on didn't hurt Brees, I can't see lightning striking twice. Damn, when will the Bolts ever have the lightning strike???

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good to see McCoy hit the nail on the head and have the nads to say it.
    We'll see if Rivers can learn from it. Let's hope so, cause the team has enough other weak spots. Adding QB to the list would suck. We need another 5-7 years out of Rivers.

5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    In order for Rivers to concentrate on the basics, he needs to regain his trust and confidence in the O-line

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    If Rivers can't cut it he'll be gone like I've said before. McCoy does not appear to be the kind of HC to let things slide and I like that. However, he won with Tebow (sp) so I don't see how he cam lose with Rivers, then again, what in hell do I know??????.....................

7. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81

Hit the nail on the head. Give PR17 solid play at left tackle and watch him rise back up the QB ranks.

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Is Rivers cut yet?

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Isnt there some RB you want to PMS on? :)

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I see Sponge Conc Poopy Pants is also in spring training and getting ready for the season!!!!
    :p