1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike McCoy: 'We were going for two'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    If the Chargers got six Sunday, they were going for two.
    If they got six.
    San Diego found itself with first-and-goal at the 1-yard line in the final seconds of regulation. Two offensive pre-snap penalties and two incompletions later, the game ended, and the Chargers fell to 3-10 in a 10-3 road loss to the Chiefs. Had the Chargers found the end zone, coach Mike McCoy said Monday, the offense would've stayed on the field to attempt a two-point conversion.
    "We were going for two," McCoy said. "We were going to win. We were going for two. We wanted the win. Every game is different. Where it was, it's a situation where we've been fighting our tail off all day long to get down there. We finally get down there, and I thought it was the best time to win the game, so we would have gone for two."
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/dec/14/chargers-mike-mccoy-chiefs-conversion/

I have two problems with this.
    The first is that these statements sound to me as though McCoy is lamely trying to convince the world he's an astute gambler.
    The second, that he was actually considering attempting a two point conversion against an amazing KC defense, proves to me he is inept at gambling, off the charts inept.
    I don't need to consult my copy of Sun Tzu: The Art of Warfare to know that one of the first, if not THE first rule of engagement is to never attempt a frontal assault against a heavily fortified defensive position. Or to put it numerically, IMO the odds of completing a two point conversion in that instance were between 1:5 to 1:10, and that's being generous. The odds of winning in overtime I peg at roughly 3:5 to 4:5.
    Anyhoo, that's my take. What's yours?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    McCoy is a lame duck not trying to end up on the table, with an orange glaze slathers on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Lame. This is the 3rd game in which we have failed to score a go ahead touchdown in the red zone in the final 2 minutes of a game. Just really poor situational football, and that falls on the coaches.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    SC92, I see what you did in there!

Nice ChairCrusher troll bait ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Mike McMitty.

History says he doesn't have the stones.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    It is the truth, there is no denying it. 3 of our last 4 games we've scored 3 points, with Philip Rivers as your QB, that's no excuse.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes. But the players are accountable as well. To me, the Chargers have up and quit. Across the board.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Mike McCoy: I was going to be gutsy and clever, I swear!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Did anyone ask McCoi for clarification on going for 2?

Did he mean points, or someone get the Charmin?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Thanks for letting us in your secret Mike McCoy... too bad Rivers choked it away and got that f$%^ing delay of game penalty. You just can't be a total stupid dork and not get that play off... you just can't. No excuses... no blah blah blah from Rivers or McCoy of any bozo on the Chargers who wants to excuse that magnanimous blunder. It wasn't a small mistake it was huge, HUGE, F$%^ING HUGE!!! I can see why Rivers and the Chargers won't win a super bowl. Cold. Hard. Truth. These team oozes loser this season... they look so bad ... it's almost like it's on purpose.

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ Either that, or someone had some major bucks on the game, as in fixed...

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Everything that comes out of his mouth in public is blather pure and simple...

Best 53.
    All 3 phases.
    CottonMary football.
    Execution.
    Outstanding week of practice.
    Great game plan.

Yada yada yada.

Adios amigo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Should've kept Rivera.....:(

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    You forgot the best one..

"I'm proud of the way this team fights" .. Where do you see the 'fight', McCoy?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Man, I have been having a horrible week. Thanks for the great laugh--one of the funniest, if not the funniest post I have read all year. I sure needed the laugh. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Ridiculous. Rivers has virtually no help. He didn't drop the wide open perfectly thrown TD pass to Floyd.

The delay of game penalty was no big deal. If anything, it guaranteed that our OC would not toy around with running the ball, which would have been suicidal.

Also, it is arguably easier to score on a passing play from a little further out than the one yard line as it helps prevent the field from being compacted into a tiny area, which is often what one sees when the ball is right next to the goal line. The lost penalty yards were totally irrelevant in that respect.

Besides, Rivers was clapping for the ball to be snapped. It isn't as if he can walk up and kick Robinson in the a$$ to make him snap the ball.

And finally, both of the final two passes should have been caught. I would not put either of those passes on Rivers as bad passes.

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    For once, we're actually in agreement. ;)

Losing the yardage would only matter if we have a running game, which we obviously do not. Rivers isn't even the kind of QB that makes a legitimate sneak candidate. Having the extra space to throw was not the issue, the dropped passes were. The last thing fans wanted to see was a botched draw play to end the game.

18. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    No way. A failed draw play would have been the perfect ending to that game.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Shouldn't McLeaf have been fixated on scoring the TD first and then be counting his other two points as if they were fresh eggs just laid???.