1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Williams (USC) - Lost weight merely adds to receiver's expectations

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jul 7, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Now what will his excuse be???

:icon_shrug:

:lol:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080706/SPORTS01/807060400/1027

Mike Williams lost the weight and regained his swagger in the process.

He's faster, happier and once again optimistic about a career that went nowhere in his first three NFL seasons.

But for his sake, to keep him motivated, the Titans receiver is going to pretend he's stuck in a rut.

"I'm not a fool to live by anything I've done in the past few months,'' Williams said. "The coaching staff has seen what I've done, and hopefully they like it. But I'm going to pretend I haven't done anything just to make me work harder. And I definitely plan to keep working.''

In 2005, Williams was a first-round draft pick by the Lions, but he was released after two seasons. The Raiders gave him another shot, but he lasted just six games in Oakland. That's when the Titans jumped on board, signing him at the end of last season, hoping for bigger things in the future.

Today, the 6-foot-5 Williams is down nearly 30 pounds to 242 from his weight in January. He opened eyes in practices open to media in May and June, which got the attention of his teammates. But when someone paid him a compliment on the last day of organized workouts, he had a matter-of-fact reply. Williams, more than anyone, knows he's done nothing yet.

"I was the No. 10 pick (in the draft),'' he said. "I'm supposed to look like that. It just so happens that I am finally doing what other teams picked me to do.''

Still work to do

Still, the Titans' coaches aren't making any promises. Williams wasn't in the top rotation at receiver in practices, and is far from being ready.

Aside from veterans Justin Gage and Justin McCareins, undrafted Biren Ealy also worked ahead of him in offseason workouts. Rookie Lavelle Hawkins got just as many chances.

"He is like everybody else. He is competing for a job and he has been making a lot of plays,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said. "Conditioning is (still) a factor, his weight is a factor, but he is improving. … I don't think he is ready for three or four series in the preseason yet, but we have time.''

Williams hopes to make the 53-man roster on a team with six receivers. Training camp in three weeks will tell the story.

"In camp, things are more magnified, and the start and the season is right around the corner,'' he said. "I am not trying to be a (No.) 3 or 4 kind of guy. They made it clear the best guy is going to play and I want to be in that group.''

During one recent practice, Williams got in the ear of cornerback Reynaldo Hill, telling him, "I'm not fat anymore. I'll run by your (butt).'' Williams said the defensive backs defend him differently now.

"He is playing with a little more attitude,'' safety Michael Griffin said. "He looks more comfortable with himself. You see him smiling now, catching balls. He is running a lot easier, a lot smoother.

"He's like a different person. I didn't know the old Mike Williams, but I'd have to think that's the old Mike Williams.''
    Staying on course

Former Raiders receiver Tim Brown, now an analyst for Fox Sports Net, saw Williams light it up at Southern Cal. It's why he was picked 10th overall.

Brown said Williams will need to adjust more than just his waistline to be successful.

"Mike has to learn the fundamentals of being a receiver,'' Brown said. "When you're the biggest guy in college or high school and running by guys and out-jumping defenders, it seems easy.

"But it's very difficult when all of a sudden you come into the league and even though you may be bigger, you can't just run down the field and jump over people.

"He was used to being the biggest and the baddest and in the NFL, that's not the case any more.''

Williams said he's mature enough now to own up to his failures.

"The blame goes to self,'' he said. "But I was in a different mind-set then. It was like I had a sense of entitlement when I got drafted. Three years ago I would have pointed the finger at somebody else. Now I can say it was me. Hopefully one day those teams can say, "That's why we drafted that guy; it worked for Tennessee, just not with us.''

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, this dude flopped almost as fast as he who shall not be named.

3. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I wouldn't mind seeing him succeed, as long as he doesn't return to his previous hotdog mentality.

4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    He's not even running with the first unit, at least yet, so I don't see what the big deal is.

The best thing about BMW reversing his fortunes and succeeding would be that the Raiders had him and let him go! :lol:

5. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    hahahahhaha

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    that would be pretty sweeet!:lol:

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...He feasted on small DBs in college where his lack of speed wasn't noticed. I think he'd have a better chance of making it by gaining weight and learning to block as opposed to losing weight. He might have a prayer as a tightend project :icon_rofl: I'm half joking and half serious:icon_shrug:

But yes, it would be sweet if he made it after the raiders let him go :abq2:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This guy looks like a tweener, to small at the appropriate weight for Tight End and not fast enough or shifty enough for Wide Receiver. He's behind the learning curve and I figure he will make it as a slot guy if he makes it at all. Losing that much weight that fast takes its toll in physical strength and endurance in the short term. He could be in for a rough time in camp. Hope for his sake he can play special teams so he has something else to contribute to team on the field.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    That sounds like a re write of when he went to the Raiders and he was happy he was back with Kiffin while being in better shape.

Dude is a bust!!!:yes:

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    he is perfect for the Titans cause he doesnt have to catch the ball cause Vince Young throws it to the other team more then his own anyway :tup:

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I think that's why they tried to give Vince a bigger target. If this doesn't work out, Yao Ming may be the next experimental Target for vince.

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Your assuming Williams can get open