1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike "Yogi" Tolbert / FB position

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, May 3, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Our UDFA find from a year ago...Is this guy going to make the roster this year? He was super raw and it took both he and Hester a considerable amount of time to learn their roles. I'm thinking he probably will make the team. He seems to me to be more of a pure FB than Hester who is kind of a hybrid RB/FB and the coaches obviously liked his playmaking ability at the position. We also have a history of carrying 2 FB's from the Lo Neal / Pinnock days.

I think the play at the FB position will improve significantly this year with a year of experience for both of these young guys. I also like Tolbert's overall upside potential.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I hope he learned to block in the offseason. Love his running and catching skills but a FB has to be able to block.

3. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Like I've said before about Yogi, he was a RB in college. If you watch him, he still blocks like a RB, mostly chops or single hits. He's still learning to block as a FB should but I'd imagine it's pretty tough when there's no real FB mentor on the team to show him the right way to do it. That's really my main reason being upset that we let LoNeal go last year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Hestors on the team. And he knows how to block. Square up with who your blocking. Drive into him and keep moving your feet. Don't lunge. Which is what tolbert kept doing wrong. Got to keep your feet and keep driving.

5. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    There's probably going to be an open competition between the two for the position, but if I had to guess I would say Hester will end up getting the starting spot for the Fullback position since his blocking thus far seems a bit better than Tolbert's and he has the flexibility of playing Running Back on a occasion.

Besides, the Chargers have more invested in Hester considered the picks that that they traded to get him, so it would probably be more practical to groom him for the future more than anyone else.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    It is all about the number of bodies at the RB/FB position. One from Tolbert, Bennett and GJ will not make it.

My money is on Bennett.

Having said that I fear for Tolbert if he does not get his act together vis a vis lead blocking.

Hester is the FB now. We don't need to carry 2 'specialized' FBs imho.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I really liked Tolbert going into last season and then he kind of dropped of the map after a couple weeks. I think he may have been in a little over his head when he stopped facing preseason defenses.

I really enjoyed the crazy bear dance the guy did in the endzone last year. But this is not a team that relies heavily on the FB position. Hester should step up and be both a lead blocker and H-back. Even when we run the ball it's probably only about 50/50 that the RB has a FB in front of him as a lead blocker. Even our new Candian freak-project has experience as a short yardage blocker.

I like the guy, but my gut says that FB is at the bottom of the totem pole as far as our need for depth.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I figure Kris Dielman could have a word with him about the finer points of blocking. The wisdom doesn't have to come from a fullback.

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    He does? He was pretty horrific blocking most of the season last year. Lots of missed assignments it seemed to me. He seemed to come around at the end but it seemed he still had a ways to go.

Hopefully with another year of coaching both should be much improved.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Bennett won't make the team, its a guarantee

Tolbert its up in the air, I like him and all but he can't block to save his soul and with Johnson there's a question if he could fit in as a RB. Four RBs and an FB on the roster might be a bit much

11. ESCOBAR 92113

ESCOBAR 92113 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    ive been thinking about this alot lately, kind of selfishly though..i had a custom made Tolbert jersey for my son last season. For some reason he fell in love with the guy. I really dont think he makes this team. Hester showed great improvement torwards the end of the season:unsure:

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I like "Yogi" much, but it will be a hard fight to make the team this year.
    Tolbert, Bennett, Johnson and Kris Wilson will try to get the No 4 and 5 spot of RB/FB.

Billy Latsko wil make the practise squad. Brinkley and Rentmeester will be cut.