1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Military accepting applicants with criminal records-

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Back in the day, it was common place for a judge to tell a young male miscreantta goadda jail or join the Army/Marines as a sentence for misdeeds.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Onea my best friends in hi skool was always gettin in trouble, either at skool or with the cops. Finally his father, a good frienda my dad, bailed him out one last time and took him downta the recruitin office, and 24 hours later, he was onna busta Ft Ord!! :icon_eek:

He stayed in 6 years...haven't seen'im in quite awhile.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Depending on the crime, I think that is a good thing. however if it is a violent crime, I think that is kinda whacky.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Manya my SF Brothers would come back from RVN, get in trouble with the law (dui, that sorta thing) and they'd put a call inta someone at SF Branch at the Pentagon, and before the ink was dry on the ticket/warrant, they'd be on the first thing smokin outta Fayetteville, headdin backta 'Nam!! :icon_eek: :yes:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am thinking bad violent crimes, ****, murder, assault with a deadly weapon.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, I agree...some crimes can't/shouldn't be paid for by military service.

8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I'd hate to see that started up again. Our all-volunteer armed forces are people to be proud of, not demeaned by being forced to associate with criminals.:no:

Of course, as the mother of a soldier I'm probably a little biased, but I remember all the hoops she had to jump through, all the tests she had to pass and the background checks---even her father and I had to be vetted, because she was only 17 at the time she joined the Delayed Entry Program. So I'm sorry if I sound a mite testy at the idea of giving convicts the choice of military service or jail---I just think it's a terrible idea, and would do NOTHING to encourage recruitment.

Phooey.:icon_evil: :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That's how my brother-in-law "joined" the Army. :lol: