1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Camp - Rookies make first impressions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 4, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday, May 04, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Photo Gallery: 2007 Mini Camp

Chargers wide receiver Craig Davis, the team’s top pick in last weekend’s draft, admitted that he could feel the butterflies in his stomach before his first Mini Camp as an NFL player.
    “I was nervous going into it,” Davis said. “Last night I lost a little sleep thinking about coming out here and competing with some of the big-name guys.”
    Davis didn’t turn to a dose of antacid to make him feel better; he simply used a little encouragement from the reigning NFL MVP.
    “LT came over and whispered something in my ear,” Davis said. “He told me to loosen up and smile a little bit. That made me a little more comfortable. I was able to just roll with things after that.”
    After his conversation with Tomlinson, Davis enjoyed a smooth morning. He worked with the offense and caught the eye of his head coach several times.
    “Craig was impressive to me,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s got outstanding speed, the ability to get in and out of breaks. He’s really built to run the routes the way we want them run and he’s got outstanding hands. I was excited watching him run around out there.”
    Davis also drew some praise from his new quarterback.
    “Craig is going to be a heck of a player,” Philip Rivers said. “He’s feeling his way around out there, but he can really run. He showed some signs today of why he was picked where he was.”
    While Davis was getting his feet wet with the offense, Chargers second-round pick Eric Weddle was feeling his way through things on the opposite field. The slower pace of Friday morning’s workout didn’t require a ton from Weddle, but his coaches were impressed with what they saw from him.
    “We were in a teaching mode, but I was talking to (defensive coordinator) Ted (Cottrell) after practice and he said Eric picked things up really quickly,” Turner said. “He’s very sharp and he’s a quick player.”
    One of the traits that led the Chargers to pounce on Weddle was his versatility as the Utah grad has the ability to play several positions in the secondary. He spent Friday morning working at strong safety with the second-team defense as Clinton Hart and Marlon McCree ran with the starters.
    “Right now we see him as a strong safety, but really what we do with our safeties, they’re interchangeable,” Turner said. “With people in the multiple formations, shifting and moving, they both have to play both spots. He can handle both of that, which is nice.”
    Weddle also saw extensive time on offense in college, but his days handling the football appear over for now.
    “We’re going to get him ready to play defense,” Turner said. “We’re about two years away from worrying about that.”
    Turner’s decision was just fine with Weddle, who will have a full plate trying to learn the defense.
    “They’ve got enough great players over there (on offense),” Weddle said. “They don’t need me.”
    Perfect attendance
    Everyone on the Chargers roster was present and accounted for Friday. The morning practice consisted of an extended individual session. The offense and defense worked separately in what Turner called a “teaching mode.” All players participated in the work.
    “We’re very, very healthy. You’d like to be that healthy at this time,” Turner said. “Our guys have been going so well the last five weeks in our offseason program. I’ve seen all that, but you like to have them out there in helmets, running plays and starting to work on the things we need them to get done.”
    Turner said there is a chance that some veterans coming off surgeries could spend some time on the sidelines, although he didn’t mention names.
    “We have three or four guys that we’re going to be careful putting in a team situation, but everyone is going through all the individual work,” Turner said. “That’s encouraging.”
    Rivers showed no lingering effects from the sprained foot he suffered at the end of the 2006 season. He completed all phases of the practice.
    “He’s fine,” Turner said. “He’s been doing a little more every week. We were off last week but the week before that he worked out hard two days. He went through his entire practice routine. He’s ready to go. He doesn’t have any problems out there.
    “I think it’s good for the rookies to see the veterans right off,” Turner said. “It just fit our schedule this year.”
    Added Rivers, “It feels good. I don’t know if I’d call it 100 percent, but it’s good. There’s no pain. It did allow me to be ready to go as I’d been saying all this time.”
    Come on out
    Saturday and Sunday’s practices at the team’s Murphy Canyon facility are open to the public. On Saturday, the team will take the field from 10:30 – 12:30 p.m. and 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. On Sunday, the players will practice from 11:00 – 1:00 p.m.
    Bleacher seating is available and fans will be able to see the entire practice field from the bleachers, though fans are welcome to bring beach chairs. Food and drinks will also be available, however fans can also bring coolers, snacks, soft drinks and water. Alcoholic beverages, video cameras, pets and weapons of any kind are NOT PERMITTED.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/rookies-make-first.htm

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    good vid of Weddles and others press conference today there too.:abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, Weedle said that his parents were going to be in the bleachers watching with the other fans. :tup:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Hard notta get excited!! :yes: :tup: