1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Camp updates for Friday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, May 2, 2008.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    All right, has anyone heard any specifics regarding mini camp today?

So far all I've found is from caseybolts' blog on chargers.com.

He said that LT and Phil worked out a lot in the morning practice, so I guess that that is good news.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    L.T.21 has a thread going at the U/T... Norvs got Hester playing everything but waterboy...

3. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Chargers.com has video from Phil, Norv, LT, and Cro.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Can't wait to see Hester tomorrow. If I get good pix, I'll post them here. :yes:

5. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Update from Chargers.com

Why isn't Parker practicing yet? Is this the worst toe injury in the history of mankind or something?

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The problem there is that you have to trust that he actually knows what he's watching, which I don't think he does.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Been there, done this. You have no conception how critically this kind of injury affects your ability to to ANYTHING. This toe crap is as bad as sciatica, busted ribs or kidney stones. Think of pounds per square inch, doods. Think about the pressure of a pit bull bite. That's what that big toe handles. It's equivalent to the canon bone in a horse. They put them down if this injury happens to a race horse. Capping on Parker for this is utter nonsense. This isn't about him, it's about your own egos.

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Doesn't really sound good for Gates, which is BY FAR my biggest concern going into the season this year.

9. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Are they the same type of injury? I know the same to toe is involved.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I doesn't appear that the injury to Gates was quite as severe, but since the Chargers play liars poker with the injury report, we won't know until it's crunch time. I am really puzzled why Gates wasn't benched. I am troubled by the lack of progress reports.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

Overreaction!:icon_tease:

I was just wondering what was up with his injury since I thought that he would be ready for the opening of mini camp. I hold no grudges against Parker. If a guy is hurt, then he's hurt.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    For Turner, a little tweak is good

For the past few months, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner and his staff have huddled in their offices watching film in search of trends from Turner’s first season at the helm of the Bolts.

Their work revealed some consistencies in how opponents game planned against the Chargers, and now Turner’s initiative is to counter.

“There are things people did against us defensively and things people did against us offensively,” Turner said. “We’ve got a little better feel how people are going to attack us or how they’re going to defend us. We’ve spent a lot of time in the offseason looking at things we can do to counteract that.”

The meat and potatoes of the Chargers’ first minicamp will revolve around the basics of the team’s systems on both sides of the ball, but the Bolts are also hoping to add a few wrinkles.

“Probably 75 to 80 percent of what we’re doing is exactly what we did the last 10 games where we had great success,” Turner said. “About 20 percent of what we’re doing has a new wrinkle, a new look to it. We’re going to see how many of those things we can develop well enough so we can use them in games.”

Easing in

The Chargers morning practice saw the offense and defense work on separate fields throughout the afternoon. That plan was designed so that both the rookies and veterans could ease their way back into things.

“We start every minicamp going out against air so we can kind of slow things down and let them digest what we’re doing,” Turner said. “I like our guys we drafted. They look good to me. We beat air today. Now this afternoon we’ll go against each other.”

Turner also spoke to his team about managing their energy.

“You come out to minicamp and a lot of times guys are really hyped up, running around and screaming,” Turner said. “The energy can be a good thing, but I remind our guys that this is a long season. This is just the start.”

Quite a mentor

LaDainian Tomlinson knew the kind of teammate he was getting when the Chargers drafted running back Jacob Hester last weekend. On Friday, LT had his first opportunity to work with his new understudy, and he came away impressed.

“I watched him a bunch in college so I was pretty familiar with what he’s able to do on the football field,” Tomlinson said. “He seems like a guy that really wants to learn what’s going on. I think he can help us in a lot of different ways”
    It didn’t take long for LT to take the former LSU Tiger under his wing a little, which was much appreciated by the Bolts’ third-round pick.

“He’s helping me out already,” Hester said. “On the field there were a couple of plays where I was kind of lost and he steered me in the right direction. He’s already reached out and kind of helped me.”

On the move

Paul Oliver spent his first NFL season mostly watching and learning, but entering year two he believes he’s ready to take the next step, whatever that might mean.

“I learned a lot last year and feel like I grew as a player,” Oliver said. “I’m just ready to have a chance to contribute. I don’t care how.”

As a rookie, Oliver was inactive for all 16 regular season games but impressed coaches with his work ethic and versatility in practice as he often mimicked the best defensive back from each opponent.

Entering year two, there has been some discussion of moving Oliver from cornerback to safety, and he’ll work in various situations throughout the offseason.

“Paul’s a really good player,” Turner said. “Obviously he benefits from having been here a year. We feel like he can be a safety. It gives us a chance to move him around and gives us a guy who can play corner and safety. Tomorrow we’ll start working on our sub packages and we’ll get a chance to look at him there.”

Quick hits

-Wide receiver Buster Davis sat out of the afternoon practice after working in the morning. Defensive tackle Jamal Williams, center Nick Hardwick, linebacker Carlos Polk, fullback Andrew Pinnock, wide receiver Eric Parker and tight end Antonio Gates didn’t participate in either practice.

-At times as a rookie, Legedu Naanee was listed as a tight end, wide receiver and fullback. He’s now solely working with the wide receivers, and he’s switched his jersey number from 40 to 11.

-Saturday’s first practice begins at 10:45 a.m. Gates open at 10:15 for fans. The afternoon practice runs from 4-6 pm.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So Oliver at safety, huh? No real surprise, just hadn't heard it from the horse's mouth. I think he'll work out well back there - maybe pack on a little more muscle for the run support.

Hope that Gatesy & EP's toes are healing OK. I want to see them both healthy for the opener, if not before. Hardwick, too.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

It takes some people longer than others to come back from a ********* injury.

• Like Like x 1