1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mining Disaster in NZ

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scratchnz, Nov 24, 2010.

1. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    It was a sad day for my community yesterday when we got the news that the 29 miners trapped in the Pike River coal mine (half an hour drive away from my home) would not have survived a second explosion that happened yesterday.

It was so great to see on tv here in NZ words of solidarity from people associated with the mining disaster in West Virginia, who had gone through the same ordeal.

2. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Thoughts and prayers for their souls and their families that have lost them.

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for your prayers Lightning :)

4. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    question for you scratch....not to deminish my sentiments for the miners and their families, I meant those wholeheartedly. I would like to know though...if they had been known to be alive and a rescue effort could have been mounted, in your opinion would it honestly have been mounted with the same effort and resolve as it was in Chile? In the U.S. I don't think I could say it would have been and...IMO... it wasn't in the last mining incident here.

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Absolutely it would have been! Politically, things are different here in NZ where the success and longevity of our politicans depends soley on there popularity amongst the people...our prime minister would have forced through any possible rescue effort with no expense spared! He was pretty much based in the area the first week of the incident...how many other counties could boast that kinda committment from their heads of state?

I believe that all those closely involved already new the fate of the miners on that first day and spend a whole week softening the blow to the families etc..

Big Memorial service today in our town of Greymouth...10,000 plus attending (population of town is 8,000!!!)...live on national tv also

6. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    That's what I was thinking your answer would be. It's disheartening here in the states knowing that political pressure on politicians from corporations results in not only de-regulation, lax safety inspection and enforcement but also equates to any rescue efforts being hindered due to anti labor sentiment being so high that union help being offered with all the manpower and equipement needed were turned away because the owner of the mine said that NO union presence was allowed on his property.