1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MM, VJ, SM; listen to Antonio Gates.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Jul 31, 2010.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

May 22, 2006

Listen, follow his example, and MAYBE you figure out what AJ wants from his players, and maybe - JUST MAYBE - suddenly the contracts aren't so hard to get.

Just a brilliant interview from Gatesy, and he's just elevated himself in my eyes (and he was pretty high up there already). He's a LEADER on this football team.

Also some glowing statements about Philip Rivers from him... man, we actually have some MEN on this football team. It's good to hear.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I have so much more respect for Gates now. Wow.
  3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Aug 2, 2006
    #85 TE Antonio Gates of the San Diego Chargers got paid by doing it the easiest way and that is being Patient through maturity, not shooting his mouth off and wanting to get a Championship.

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    Gate's said it plain and clear. He's had to earn everything he's gotten. He wasn't drafted nor handed one single thing, hard work and watching those that are compensated taught him the right way to go about business.
  5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    At Gates age and health he would have been a fool not to take this deal. In two years he will have Tomlinson value.
  6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Dec 14, 2006
    Maturity is a great thing... too bad our 3 "young guns" haven't acquired any yet.
  7. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Dec 24, 2009
    Thumbs up for Gates.

"Pay attention to the guys who got paid" :yes:
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Jan 24, 2010
    Gates will definitely go down as one of the best Chargers in team history. Love this guy
  9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Jul 24, 2008
    Great interview, Gates definitely has his head on straight. I saw him yesterday at practice and he looked great. I am looking forward to a lot more "third and Gates" plays for the next 3, 4 or 5 years.

I wish we could find out what terms our holdouts initially asked for. That would probably answer a lot of questions as to why they aren't signed and in camp right now. In VJ's case, I'm pretty sure he pointed to Brandon Marshall's contract and said something to the effect of "...I want more than this".

Two weeks and counting to the first pre-season "game"!
  10. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Aug 1, 2010
    Here's the circumstance regarding Vincent Jackson. He's always known what he's capable of doing and he's proven it beyond any doubt. Yet, the Chargers organization still wants to sh!+ on him. I'm sorry, but that simply won't do! Management should recognize Jackson as the legitimate top-tier rec'r he is or let him go. To fail to do so and then punish him for it are the actions of a second-rate organization. Let me help you people out here. You have a top skill-position athlete who is displaying leverage even while under contract. Contrary to what you may think, this is the type of problem smart GMs dream of having.

Now, Daniel Snyder wants to win yesterday. So does Donovan McNabb , so does Mike Shanahan. None of them have aspirations of winning 9 or 10 games. It's against the league's rules for one team to mettle in another teams' personnel affairs. Usually when we hear such cries it involves agents and management. Here we have the Redskins new agent provocateur, Donovan McNabb, out west conducting a workout with Vincent Jackson. Wtf, do you think that's a whim, a coincidence? What do you think they were talkin' about? How many fuq'n autographs they each had signed? Whether they were on the all-madden team or some sh!+? Don't be stupid. Washington, arguably more so than any other franchise, coveted proven talent and facilitated player movement long before free-agency was the reality. Don't put it past them to have approached Jackson before he became "disgruntled"... just because he drinks and drives, if that's even true, that doesn't mean he isn't a soldier. They could've gotten to him, but equally convincing his is legitimate claim.

See, Vincent Jackson is the real deal. Turner runs him thru the secondary to see how they react (course he already knows), and then runs all additional options based on that reaction. Jackson relishes a defender that comes up and challenges him. They get anywhere near him and he sticks his hand up into their facecage, muckles on, and heaves them into the first row! Then he turns to Rivers, throws his hands up into the air, like wtf? Throw the ball dude. No, don't even go there. Darrell Revis isn't even 6'0" tall, fageddabowit. No way.

I don't know if the Redskins are going to finally have a real #1 WR, but what we're seeing now doesn't help anyone. What we might be seeing is that the Chargers have anted-up, but aren't willing or able to go over the top and Washington, through McNabb, have conveyed what they're going to do for Jackson. The media is saying the Chargers hold all the cards, which is BS. If they don't pay Jackson they don't get him. If they punish him, they lose him anyway and get no compensation. Call your team and tell them, pay or trade!

Oh, and by the way, the Chargers are a great team! I remember Coryell, Fouts. They were Brutal!
  11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
  12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2006
    Its true! Gates is already 30, and getting knicked alot, in 2 years, he will not be the superstar he is now

Also, where was this attitude when he was younger?? Im sorry but isnt this the same guy that held out when he did have a contract and got himself suspended?

Im sorry but gates needs to STFU about other peoples contracts, all it does is create tension. NFL players know to stay out of each other contract situations, gates should of known better
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

I love Gates & I'm glad he'll be with us for awhile. He has earned his payday.

That doesn't mean that all players have to fall into the "yas, massuh" line to get paid. VJ & McNeill are grown-*** men who are perfectly capable of making their own decisions. Just because they don't toe the company line doesn't make them worthless, bad teammates, or the POS's that some here are throwing around.

I think that they have their sights set too high on their next contract. I don't believe that the Chargers feel that they are worth top dollar. That's all supposition on my part with regards to demands. I don't know which tail is wagging which dog.

I know that we're going to field a team with or without these guys & that I'm going to pull for the best results possible.

You haters just keep on hating, ya hear? :lol: