1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MMQB - Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, May 12, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/11/mmqb/2.html
    Stat of the Week

I've got the perfect reason why the Philadelphia Eagles shouldn't even think about trading Lito Sheppard. It's called the evolution of pro football. If you're a general manager, and you don't enter the season with three corners you can trust, you either have a pass-rush like the Giants or you're ignoring what's been going on in this game in the past five or 10 years.

The Eagles did a couple of smart things on draft day. Without a prospect they had to have in the first round, they dealt their pick for first-, second- and fourth-round picks. And they hung on to the dissatisfied Sheppard. His value to the Eagles, simply, was more than the value of a second-round pick, even though he's missed 14 games in the past three years due to injury. I applaud Philly for not dealing him, though to be truthful, a big reason why he wasn't dealt was because he wanted too much money in a renegotiated contract.

According to NFL playing-time documents, the average third corner in the league played 57 percent of his team's defensive snaps last year. Let's look at couple of teams with good secondaries to see how they divvied up cornerback playing time, and that will make my point for me:

Cornerbacks Percent Of '07 Defensive Snaps
    San Diego
    Quentin Jammer 80%
    Drayton Florence 79%
    Antonio Cromartie 72%
    Denver
    Dre' Bly 97%
    Champ Bailey 90%
    Dominique Foxworth 57%

Third corners most often played more than half of the time, including New England's Randall Gay (53 percent), Hank Poteat of the Jets (54 percent) and the Raiders' Fabian Washington (53 percent).

I remember talking to San Diego GM A.J. Smith the night of the draft. "We got our corner,'' he said happily, referring to first-round pick Antoine Cason. You might wonder why Smith was so focused on getting his corner, with two good starters -- Jammer and Cromartie -- in house, even after losing Florence in free-agency to Jacksonville. "I'm a firm believer in this game today that you need three starting corners to win.'' Amen.

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    My mind is still having a tough time processing the words "good secondary" and "San Diego" in the same sentence.

Am I dreaming?

That alone should be proof of AJ's gawdliness.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I agree, it is pretty amazing to think of how solid and dynamic we are at corner. Weddle just has to show up to be better than McCree. If his ability rubs off on Hart (who is a tryer imho) then we will be a great pass D. Add Gordon/Cason into the mix and u have a big WOW. :tup:

4. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahha i know for years we could never say it, now we will have one of the best

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Thank God Florence is gone.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And McCree. I watched last year's Vikes game on NFL Replay last night. McCree took one bad angle after another on AP. Denver can have his azz.

Coverage sacks??? :abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    It's bizarre:icon_eek:

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Years? Hell, I would say Decades.

Even back in the Air days, our DBs sucked. Outscore the other team was always the game plan.

Aside from the current crew, we have had 2 DBs that were worth a **** in the past 35 years and those were Gil Byrd and Rodney Harrison.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    His AZZ is ours-twice.

10. SuperCharger85

SuperCharger85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Doesn't this seem low? I thought Jammer was out there all the time. What defensive packages does he come out for?

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not many. Guys get breathers from time to time. Then there's recovery time from especially jarring collisions, equipment repair and adjustment, sideline conferring, specific man to man match ups and cooling off periods when tempers get too hot and someone needs to calm down before they cost us fifteen yards. Then there is junk time at the end of games when the subs are getting some needed play.

12. rapscallion

rapscallion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    He missed a game. Can't remember which one, though.

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The Indy game in November.