1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Draft contest

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Anyone interested in doing a Mock draft contest?

Overall I don't think we can do any prizes for the winner, (although I'm willing to part with my Authentic Antoine Cason Jersey Size M:whistling:) But overall I think it would be fun. But Bragging rights are always good too. We all like to mock anyways, why not make a game out of it.

I copied this idea from the CMB with a few tweaks, where you work in a point system

For Instance:
    12 points for correct player/position/round

9 points for correct player/round

6 points correct player/ in a different round (for instance I had Marcus Gilchrist pegged to go to the Chargers in the 3rd in 2011/ or in a situation where you picked a player in the 2nd and they move back into the 1st to get him)

3 points for Right position (OT,CB,RB)

If you have a better/more creative scoring system let me know.

You only get One entry so make it count.:D

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Sounds fun, and a good time killer, I'm down for that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I'm probably going to have mine tomorrow where I can have some time to consider

Also the contest officially ends once the Chargers are on the clock, so between now and then if you make your picks today, you are allowed to go back and edit. For instance, if they happen to sign a FA that would make them less likely to take that position in the draft.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    Let me talk to Rob and see what we can put together for ya.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Thanks LT

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I'm in

• Like Like x 1
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I've done these before--good fun. I'm in. I'm gonna pick random guys at about the right board position at positions of need: No telling what Telesco is going to do.

Do we get one shot at it each round or two?

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    you get one shot, like say you think we go OG Jon Cooper in the first, that's your guy. but say they announce right before that Rinehart and Trouttman have those spots locked down, you can go back and edit to Mingo instead. Or if you didn't like your pick and want to change it etc.

Basically you can change it anytime you want while its still open. Also even if you get the position not the player right its still points counted toward your total.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    What do the Nike Official jerseys cost now? It's like $210 isn't it? So if we can get 21 folks willing to commit $10 via PayPal we'd have our winner pretty much all the way to a "newest Charger" of their choice jersey (or they could go on eBay and buy the knockoffs that no one knows the difference with and end up with 2+ jerseys for the same cost).

• Like Like x 1
  10. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353

lol, this would be very helpful to me. I was going to give the winner a small prize (yet determined) but this would be awesome!! Winning person has to take a pic with their new jersey on, and submit it to the site so we can all see it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    To keep it simple for me on this. I think the best way to do this for this site, would be for everyone to do a full 3 round mock draft. Possible prize to be determined. Mocks will be submitted to me via private message and put into a locked thread so no one else can see who you have chosen. Submitting, and editing of your mocks will be allowed up to April 25th 7:30pm. NO EXCEPTIONS! If your mock is not in, or you have submitted a edit after that time, it will not be applied. I will not put mocks into the locked thread until the day of that way other mods, or staff are unable to see your picks. I too will be participating with my mock being shown the day of with all of the rest of yours. So with that said, if you would prefer your mock not to be seen by me, do not submit it until closer to draft time. I will be traveling the day of the draft, and will not get to my destination until about an hour or so into the draft. So I may post them before I leave, or after I get there. Rules are subject to change, if something else crosses my mind, or if one of you brings something to my attention up till 7:30pm on draft day. :)

Scoring

6 points for a correct pick (with a full 3 round mock should be easy to determine the winner)
    25 points for a prediction of trade, and player. ( should you predict a trade, and it does not happen but your player still gets picked in that slot you will receive 6 points for the correct pick)

In the case of a tie. The person who had the most correct trades in round 1 with player and team picked will win the tiebreaker. If there are people tied after that we go to the most correct picks in round 3 of the draft. If we are still tied after that, the winner will be the one who submitted/edited there mock first of the remaining people left.

I will create a sticky thread in the main forum to promote the game for more competition, as soon as we agree on the system.

Let me know what you guys think or any suggestions you may have.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I like this idea, So Full 3 round we'd be doing just Chargers or every team?

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Even if we can't get 21 people we can still go to one of those Chinese sites where it'll only cost 50 plus shipping. I've gotten a few from those sites and they're still pretty legit.

14. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    It would be a full 3 round mock every team. That way there isn't so many people tied or what not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    My question to you guys will be, do we want to make donating $10 mandatory? If so how will that affect the amount of people we get? And if we don't make it mandatory, are the ones who donated the only ones in line for the prize whatever it may be? Let me know ASAP please I am getting ready to post the sticky in the main forum.

Thanks,

LT

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I think it would be best to cash up front type thing, even if not for a jersey we could use it for some kind of cool memorabilia, possibly a hat? shirt? or something, I think its easier to find 5 people not 20. Also it isn't really donating when you know you're going to win:D Like I mentioned before I still am willing to part with my Antoine Cason Jersey hahahaha.

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Lol, well it would definitely be a cash before the draft starts thing. But I guess my question is. Do we make it mandatory like a filling out a bracket for college basketball that if you participate you are required to pay, or just ask to do it?

I know things are tight right now for some, so I want to be very clear about this. It doesn't have to be a brand new nike jersey. But something like you said, memorabilia, clothing, something to do with the bolts. I have no problem with donating a little extra, as I was going to provide a small prize out of my own pocket to the winner. If others were willing to help that just helps me out tremendously.

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I vote for 10 dollars mandatory. I want to hear others opinions though

For now (cracks knuckles) time to start my H.W. on team needs

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Ok 1 vote for the mandatory $10

20. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I'm in and willing to toss in 10 bucks

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Wow just did a quick or not so quick draft, first round was like Bam Bam Bam, second round went fill in the gaps 3rd round was like "uhhhh did I put this guy somewhere already?!?!?! Why the heck did I put 3 CB's on this team?" hahahaha

Small sneak peak:
    Although I hate the NY Jets I think their fans and Rex Ryan will be very very happy,
    Many surprising players fell
    Only 5 O line men
    4 Wr's in the first
    1 QB (guess who)
    6 DB's made it in the first also (CB's Safety's)

It was pretty fun and although Im going to tweak some things here and there until I officially submit it, I'm pretty happy with my picks.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    No reason we can't do both. If someone wants to play but doesn't want to pay then they're just not eligible for the payout with the win (and whoever among those who do kick in cash that scores the highest wins the cash).

• Like Like x 1
  23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    This is what I said earlier. I think this is the best option. The winner if they do not pay just gets bragging rights on the site. The person who finishes first gets their choice of bolts gear up to the amount in the pot. Anyone else want to chime in before I make it official tomorrow with the sticky? Let me know.

24. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Please make sure you go into the thread I created and post whether or not you are in. Easier for me to keep track.

25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yep it's either all or nothing. If you're doing money, it's gotta be up front.
    Otherwise, just make it a bragging rights deal.

• Like Like x 1
  26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yep good point. Agree with that.
    Still like the idea of a Chargers only draft though. A helluva lot less work to be competitive ;)

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I've been working on mine, I'm 2 rounds in, already giving up trying to predict trades.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Same here, I have 2 trades so far, only in the first though, I really believe SF uses their arsenal of picks to move up, I just don't know where.

first seemed like a cake walk, 2nd round I'll be lucky if I get one right, 3rd round Yeeeesh!

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Only problem I see with that is more people would pick for who they want, where as the guy you want/lie may go to a destination you don't like and you have to also make legit picks for division rivals.

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    You'd pick only Chargers picks. So all the trades/rivals etc goes away.
    So it would like this (for instance)
    >>>>> Round 1. Melvin Ingram DE.
    >>>>> Round 2. Courtney Upshaw DE.
    >>>>> Round 3. Lavonte David OLB.
    >>>>> Round 4. Mike Adams OT.
    >>>>> Round 5. Jared Crick DE.
    >>>>> Round 6. Bobby Massie OT.
    >>>>> Round 7. Alfonso Dennard CB.

You could go two picks every round too. Also, if you pick who you want instead of who you think the Chargers will take, you'd probably lose. So that sorts itself out too.

Anyway, just an additional idea for next year, as it'll take enough effort to get the full 3 round mock up and running this year.