1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MOCK DRAFT LINKS and more links

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TBF, Mar 13, 2009.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
  2. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    all i read about tyson jackson is that he lacks effort, i.e. lazy, takes plays off, etc.
    again just what i read, dunno if it's accurate or not.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    If one of those top offensive linemen is there we should take him. If one of the best three defensive linemen are there we should cautiously take him. If one of the BEAST linebackers are there we would be hard pressed to pass him up. I mean if we don't draft Rey Maluaga would the team face the same scrutiny later on like we got by passing on Polamaulu? If they think so, then NAB him and put the question to rest. I just think Maluaga, no matter how talented he may be, would no doubt benefit from playing with Philips, Merriman, Cooper, Burnett, and under coach Ron Rivera we could develop a real star. Basically I would say BEEF but a linebacker is incredibly tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    No to Andre Smith. He's an idiot, and barely did 19 reps during his pro day.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There won't be a TOP offensive lineman left at 16, unless you consider Oher to be top & I think there are too many questions about him. Andre Smith? nice body of work, but then he shits the bed when to comes to readiness for the combine AND his Pro Day.

I'm OK with Maualuga at 16, but he's not the second coming of Seau, at least not yet. MAYBE he'll get there, but I'm not sold. Of the USC LBs, Matthews could well turn out to be the best pro.

As far as scrutiny for passing up Maualuga, to hell with that. Fans don't run the team. Nothing says Polamalu would have led us to a championship. If you want to go down that road, then let's talk about how we should have never let Seau or Harrison go. Or Fred Dean.

Trade down, get a second, & either take one of the "second-tier" Olinemen first & Dlinemen second or shore up the DL & safety positions. Unless something really unforeseen happens, we're in a bit of a no-man's land at 16 with what our needs are.

6. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah I agree the teams ahead of us have to much incentive to gut the class of offensive linemen and will leave us with someone who MIGHT be able to earn a spot over our current linemen. As far as Smith, his lack of effort is way to concerning and I can't wait to see how this cancer takes finding out that offensive linemen can't start drama like a quarterback or wide receiver.

As am I because I think he'll be very good with the right people and we have the right people. The attitude, the skills, the knowlege he needs is right here so grabbing a skill player would only be acceptable if it is a beast and this guy's a beast.

Yeah I was just thinking that the front office is still a little bent for letting that happen and so maybe they would do the exact opposite this time around.

So we should trade down and go after players that no one's focusing on? Has that ever worked? :icon_tease:
    Yeah, stick to the Charger draft plan and just watch unkowns become stars!

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, Gates really sucks. :icon_rofl:

There are PLENTY of players that aren't quite making the first round but are being focused on. Second rounders are still picked on the first day. There are at LEAST as many players in the HOF that were picked in later rounds as there are 1st rounders.

Hype doesn't necessarily equal success. College boy. :icon_tease:

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Hey thanks for all the links TBF!!, good work there!.

I'm with Buck I'm not sure any of the better O linemen will be there at 16. I certainly want no part of Andre Smith. How can u not show up at the most important interview of your life (the combine). He is a fool, but he will probably be a rich one and become the next Winston Justice (all promise no production).

Is Michael Oher the next Marcus McNeill?, the OT who gets overlooked and ends up falling to the end of the first round? (I know Marcus was picked in the 2nd round). I'm not sure he represents good value at 16 either.

I still think we should go D line. How big is Everette Brown, can he play DE in a 3-4?. Could he slip to 16, I dunno?. It might have to be Jackson or one of the LBs.

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    No Prob.... I was board waiting for the repairman to show up for the middle of the day repair window... BTW... I never get the the morning appt for the repair man to show? I always get the 10a - 3p window and he gets there at 3:30...

The more I read, the more I love Maualuga! Our defense can use a stud at ILB... I like Coop a ton, but adding another STRONG tough ILB would be huge...

10. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    MODS... STICKY?

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Ah hah! that's the guy I was trying to remember last night during the podcast! Hearing good things about him - his stock has been rising swiftly and some think he may be a better pick than maualuga/cushing because he's less well known but just as strong a performer - he's got the skills but more to prove.

12. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Exactly, that's why I have the tease. It works! Very well especially for the Chargers. I should know sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet but I tried anyways.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    There are no morning appointments. Those are reserved for the afternoon appointments from the day before

:lol:

Thanks for the links.

Reading this just confirms my thought that nobody has a clue what's gonna happen.

I'm hoping we draft O-Line O-Line and more O-Line.

:tup:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Duh! I guess my drinking had affected my eyesight by the time you posted that. :lol:

:icon_toast:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4968544

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have new drafts up side to side. McShay's draft also doesn't look like those of a delusional individual. If you have insider you can see them. If not, I do this as a service

San Diego Chargers @ 28

Terrence Cody
    DT, Alabama

Kiper: Talk about his physical limitations, weight questions and lack of speed -- but that's beside the point. Cody is the quintessential block-occupying clogger who makes everyone else better. He'd be a perfect centerpiece for San Diego's 3-4.

Ryan Mathews
    RB, Fresno State

McShay: San Diego's decision to release LaDainian Tomlinson leaves it without a franchise back. Mathews' size and bruising running style make him a good fit for the scheme and a nice complement to scatback Darren Sproles.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721

I like it too, hell I think its the best mock I've ever seen us have!

But there is no damn chance CJ Spiller falls to us, and I would contend with so many teams switching to 3-4 Cody won't fall that far either. Look for Denver, KC, Miami, Buffalo, Washington...anyteam that needs a NT to take him in the mid 2nd.

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    but even then Ryan Matthews and company are available at 28

Matthews, Cody, Thompson (though I'd prefer a DE/OT there, even though I like Thompson) would be a hell of a draft

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    You know I have an unnerving feeling that AJ is going to draft Cody at 28. It just seems like something he'd do to intentionally piss me off.:lol:

I would be happy with him at 60, that would be good, but 28 is such a reach for a guy who's only going to be on the field on 1st and 2nd down, and almost never against teams that spread out and pass.

20. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    Not only could we not run the ball...we had trouble stopping it as wel!!

Even thou he will have limited time on the field...he will be a beast! and will allow our other versatile lineman to rotate in and out on various 3rd downs...its allllllllll good

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I get your point, we we're 31st in rushing, and 20th in rushing defense. But if they're both available at 28 I go for the guy with the least bust factor, and for me thats Mathews. I'm not convinced just because Cody lost 20lbs that he's a better football player today than he was during his horrible showing at the senior bowl.

I also think Cody is likely to fall farther into the 2nd round than Mathews would if we passed on him. It'll leave us a decent chance to trade up into the early 2nd (a la Eric Weddle 2007) and get our man.

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    How many downs did Jamal play? I do remember him going out on third downs too ya know?

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Yep, and he never practiced either, which probably helped the Chargers make the decision to cut him.

Watch the tape, he's only being blocked by 1 guy in the 4-3 scheme and he rarely if ever pushes him into the backfield. He's not exactly "overwhelming" anyone.

I think if this guy were 20lbs lighter (like Dan Williams and Cam Thomas) nobody would have him going in the first 2 rounds based on his 2009 performance, and his attrocious showing at the senior bowl......which apparently everyone has forgotten about.

24. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Terrible. I'm 100% against taking a corner in the 1st, and that was before we signed Strickland. CB is more of a luxury pick when we have bigger needs at RB and NT.