1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 17, 2014.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    1.Bradley roby, Cb ohio state, was the best corner in Ncaa but everyone is on hype about gilbert and darqueeze if he falls to 25 we should take him.
    2.Gabe jackson OG, Mississippi state, lets beef up the the right side of the line.
    3.Martavis bryant, WR clemson 6 ft 4 runs a 4.38 40 yard dash, and was consisently a deep threat at clemson
    4.Prince Shembo OLB, notre dame, i know waiting this long for a OLB seems dumb, but he's good value and could help this team.
    5.Ryan Carrethers, DT Arkansas state, dudes just big, only 6 ft 1, could be a potential starter down the line
    6. Aaron colvin Cb, Oklahoma , hes a very physical corner , could be knocking heads if he can harness his aggressiveness.
    7.silas redd, rb usc, a true value pick at PSU he was one of the best collegiate running backs, but knee injuries and questionable play with the trojans , his draft stock has plummeted

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    Lol Bradley Roby was the best corner in the NCAA? Did you watch him this year? He did not play well against poor competition. There are a half a dozen corners right now I would take above Roby.

3. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I'll say this- if we want upside at corner, I prefer Roby to Gilbert.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    I dont like Gilbert either. But saying Roby was the best in the NCAA is not accurate.

5. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Nope, not at all. Dennard was actually the most effective (stat wise) cover corner in NCAA history.

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    To be honest I dont think Roby will crack the top 40 pick this year. Let alone #25.

7. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Consensus will change some on him after the combine. Right or wrong.

Personally I think that he deserves some of the love being showered on Gilbert. The latter has been given a pass for a lot of his deficiencies because he's a stellar athlete. But the same is true of Roby. The difference is that the expectations for Roby coming into the season were way higher, so his issues are magnified.

He might slip out of the top 40 in the end, but his upside is about as good as it gets. If a coach can correct his technique, he could be a good one.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Basing an entire opinion of a player off of a single season - particularly when he has more than one season to offer in his sample-size - is equally as inaccurate.

Roby's not the best CB in the NCAA - he's, IMHO, not even the best CB in this draft class. However, he's better than his 2013 tape - which isn't all bad, it just proved he's a bit more scheme limited than some had originally thought. Fortunately, one of the schemes he's limited to (performing to the best of his abilities in) is eerily similar to the one we run.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I'm still not really convinced Gilbert is as stellar an athlete as he's billed. He'll likely jump well at the combine (vert and broad) but one of those, for the moment, doesn't give him as much value as it should because his pressing technique is non-existent. His long-speed is mediocre where it counts - on tape/on-the-field; the guy was burned plenty this season. And I'm expecting his short-shuttle to be fairly mediocre too, as that's what his COD ability on tape suggests it ought to be. Guys like Bashaud Breeland, Marcus Roberson, and Pierre Desir (along with Roby) all appear to have superior athleticism to Gilbert - yet that and his size/length are his supposed greatest selling-points.

Not that I'm a particularly big fan of taking a CB at #25 unless it's Dennard (because he is good value there, the others are slight-reaches-at-best which suggests there would be superior value on the board at a different position), but I'd take Kyle Fuller over Gilbert at #25 in a heartbeat.

10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Fuller is my #2 corner as well.

Gilbert's athleticism might be overstated in the sense that everything unique about a prospect is overstated nowadays. But it's definitely there. He gets burned because of improper footwork and technique- not lack of speed or athleticism. At least that's been my observation. I think he'll blaze in the 40. But I'm disinterested at 25.

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Unless Dennard or Verrett fall, holding out on Verrett until I see his measurables -- arm length and some key workouts, Roby will be the 3rd CB picked.

He's gonna run a sub 4.40 I think. Roby is solid starter in this league, and I could easily see him going between 20-25 after the combine.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I do like this mock aside from a few picks:
    Martavias Bryant is NOT a 3rd rounder despite his 40 time. No way he goes in the 3rd. I'll be very surprised. He wasn't asked to run a full route tree at Clemson, and 1 year of good/starter production doesn't warrant a top 100 pick to me. Not saying it won't happen, but no value there in 3rd. I like him in the 4th.

Not big on Redd, and unfortunately, I'd love to take Colvin in the 7th, but don't think we can afford to wait on a prospect coming off ACL surgery.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Who are we going to take in the 7th round that's going to help immediately?

14. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    bryant has the skill, and while he wasnt asked to do a full route tree at clemson he excelled at what he was asked to do, run fast, out jump the defense, and be a deep threat, the fact that hes fast is most likely why he'll end up in the 3rd or sooner.

15. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    He WAS i never implied last season he was, just that he was the best cb in the ncaa, trust me i love dennard and dennard proved hes the better corner, doing something that hadnt been done since deion sanders, but robys sophmore season was fantastic to, i honestly think he can be a great cb for this team

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Every pick counts, look at Seattle, New England, etc. It's just the coaching staff that needs to develop that player and put their confidence in them, and they could make an impact, especially in this draft, its just too deep.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    He's getting burned while starting consistently playing 5+ yards off his man... part of why he's getting burned is less-than-great long speed (I'm really going to be surprised if he breaks the 4.5-flat plane). Personally, it's his hips I'm most concerned about, they're just not terribly fluid - he's not a guy that's all that great going backward; going forward, sure, that's why he's so good returning the ball (he can plant and move very well) that reads more good tools for a safety than a corner to me. Gilbert reminds me so much of Cason as a prospect it's kind of scary - and I don't consider that likeness a really good thing.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Unless he runs in the very low 4.4's, that's really debatable. His hands aren't that consistent. He's older, if I recall correctly. Despite being big he doesn't get off press very well and lets himself get moved off his route. It's a deep receiver class. I'll put it this way, if he breaks 4.4 flat next week on the track some team will draft him in the 2nd round - but they aren't going to get much more out of him as a rookie than the Jets got out of Stephen Hill his rookie season - they're really similar prospects. He's got a lot of raw potential but his technique needs a lot more work that people are giving him credit for too: He double-clutches on his cuts and his catches a good amount, his play-recognition skills are extremely difficult to diagnose because of limited sample-size and just the way that Clemson's offense operates, and he doesn't bring much to the table as a run-blocker.

Like I said, if he clocks in the really love 4.4's or lower he's got a solid chance to go anywhere from mid-2nd to mid-3rd, but it also wouldn't be inconceivable that he pulls a "Corey Fuller" (who was similarly long, lanky, not filled-out, athletic, and raw - with 4.43 speed to boot) and drops to mid-to-late Day 3 either.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I can think of a number of guys. Are they going to start? I certainly bet against it. Can they help immediately as sub-package guys and on ST's? Hell yes.

That said, the notion that "we can't afford to take good value" is just a dumb approach to the draft and a surefire way to mire forever in mediocrity. The best GM's draft for value just about every pick - they may have a slightly different definition of value than the consensus or particularly than the online/television Peanut Gallery, but guarantee the player their selecting is considered worth the pick for more than just need. Reaching for need is a fool's paradise (not saying you're advocating this, just waxing general here). I love Fluker and he's certainly shown to have been worth the pick we invested in him thus far. That said, I still consider his selection with much, much better all-around value in Lotulelei still on the board to be a not-so-bright move, unless TT truly had Fluker rated at a higher pure value than Star.

20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Every pick does count. But I see no reason why we couldn't make our 7th count by investing in a guy coming off an injury. It's unlikely that anyone else we take in the 7th is ready to contribute much in 2014 anyways.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I mean Addae did his due diligence as an UDFA.. I'm sure we could find someone in the 7th this year with a very in depth class. We can find an OG in the 7th that Joe D can coach up and likely be a starter by Week 1 and replace Clary's dismal play.

22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Statistically, you're more likely to find help undrafted than in the 7th simply because you're with a pool of 20+ players instead of one pick.

Look at our 7th rounders in the past: Sorensen, Molk, Baker, Gachkar, Epps, Byrd, Clark, etc... none of them contributed as rookies except for maybe a little ST duty. Passing on a talented stash candidate that late because of need is not advisable.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Very true and I agree. Although Gachkar actually did contribute very well on ST's his rookie year, believe he led the team in ST's tackles.

Once again, I'm not saying I wouldn't take Colvin, but if Hardwick comes back (sounds like it, after listening to Telesco & others today) I have my eye on James Stone from Tennessee in the 7th or his teammate Zach Fulton at RG. Stone fits the Joe D prototype and also plays all 3 interior OL positions, but most experience at C. I'd like him in the 7th to watch and learn from Hardwick for a season.

24. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I'd definitely take Colvin over those guys, who I consider to be fringe talents. Probably out of the league after a couple seasons.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Pretty much. The generally accepted line of thinking with 7th round (or whichever a team's last pick in the draft is) picks is to use it on the one guy that if undrafted free agency were to start at that moment you absolutely had to have. Generally speaking this speaks more to pure value than to a need, because it's the prospect's value that is going to put him in the greatest demand versus specific need.

And again, back to the adage that the most successful GM's use - it doesn't matter if it's the 1st round or the 7th round, if you're reaching to fill a need versus taking the best value available, you're not building the best team built for long-term/extended success that you can.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    What about Colt Lyerla in the 7th round?

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    All the talent in the world... two-cent brain. The guy comes across as regretful now at the time when if he's not he's effectively committing career suicide, but he'd have to sell the hell out of an interview to convince me to use any kind of draft pick on him. This is the same guy who went on a Twitter tirade and threatened a friend of mine who is the one who broke the article on OptimumScouting that got so much pub and effectively outed Colt as having substance abuse issues that was more than just the coke.

In short, I don't believe the new-found maturity is genuine, just well-timed. Doesn't mean it isn't, but I'm siding with the guy I trust right now who's the one that's actually interviewed Oregon staffers and coaches.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I agree totally, he's got the body of Rob Gronkowski and the brain of Ryan Leaf. He's one of those guys who can't function outside of a strictly structured environment, and its just unrealistic to babysit a grown man 24/7.

That said a ton of great players have had substance issues, we shouldn't just write him off as Aaron Hernandez, he will get a shot in the NFL....I just can't imagine who has the balls to risk it.

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    So Aaron Hernandez esque?

Didn't read too much into his situation, just saw the suspension and what it was for. Adding more dimensions to this offense is key for Rivers. But, drafting Josh Huff from Oregon and then having Colt Lyerla along with Keenan Allen and Ladarius Green, nothing but a very bright future ahead of us on offense. One can dream.

30. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    Ok, now that we've established every pick counts. What prospects are yall interested in, im watching the combine like i always do, its a tradition of mine. I created a thread and will update with time and posistions, stats. Just post their name here or simply post in the other article and i will update it. Thank Much appreciated.