1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 17, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Here's one of my latest

CB KYLE FULLER
    VIRGINIA TECH
    -Between him and Verrett while I like the latter more, the former fits the system better

WR KELVIN BENJAMIN
    FLORIDA STATE
    -Could he fall this far? Potentially? and why yes I'd love a 6'5 220+lb deep threat.

DE DEMARCUS LAWRENCE
    BOISE STATE
    Huge fan of his, think he has unbelievable athletic ability and could develop quickly into a premier pass rusher

DT JUSTIN ELLIS
    LOUISIANA TECH
    Him & Kerr I think are real strong potential NTs - same issues and same general size. He'll be a fantastic addition.

CB AARON COLVIN
    OKLAHOMA
    One pick before me, Brandon Thomas OG goes. As such I'd be happy to grab a cornerback with day 1 talent to team, eventually, with Fuller.

C GABE IKARD
    OKLAHOMA
    Hardwick retires next year, here's the productive steady understudy.

DE AARON LYNCH
    USF
    Fine, I'll give this guy a try. Absolutely not high on him but couldn't find any better.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Every time I look, Cody Latimer keeps moving up, wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Bortles, Clowney, Manziel conversation.

P.s. I am listening to the podcast right now, as I started typing this, Ant just said how Latimer is shooting up the boards:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Some players I think the Chargers will absolutely take if available in appropriate rounds

Based off reading about interest

OLB Kyle Van Noy #57

WR Cody Latimer # 89

OG Spencer Long # 201

WR Damien Copeland UDFA

4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    1.Bradley roby cb Ohio state- kid can ball, and he would fit good in our scheme, hes my second favorite cb in the draft.
    2.Louis nix NT ND- kid is fat, and i mean fat, but extremely athletic i see him being a vince wilfork, and yes he does fall to pick 57, because of they hype players before him
    3.Jackson Jeffcoat DE Texas- big and fast, i think he could bolster our LB corps
    4.Devin street WR Pitt- guy has hands of glue, only question is durability.
    5.Anthony Steen OG Alabama- put this guy next to fluker, re kindle alabama oline
    6.AAron colvin CB oklahoma- big guy, great corner just got injured at the wrong time.
    7.George Atkinson III RB ND- hes a good kick returner thats a bout it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    This was a killer draft

Round 2 Pick 9 (BUF): Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California (A)
    Best player available, pairs with Allen and we now have two top flight WRs.

Round 2 Pick 25: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, Brigham Young (A)
    Like him as a fantastic all around linebacker and could be a fantastic chess piece

Round 3 Pick 9 (BUF): Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood (A)
    Best available cornerback and has all the traits minus pure speed.

Round 4 Pick 6 (CLE): David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A-)
    A nice find this late and even with his questions, he'd be a good value.

Round 4 Pick 25: Josh Mauro, DE, Stanford (A-)
    Big fan of his and he'd be great to rotate in at defensive end.

Round 4 Pick 27 (CLE): Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A)
    Stunning to find him this far down, and between him & Desir you have two legit starting cornerbacks

Round 5 Pick 25: Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (A)
    Love him as a nose tackle and think he could play really soon and really well.

Round 6 Pick 25: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (B+)
    Was kind of pushing it but I could see him as a fantastic potential slot receiver and returner

Round 7 Pick 25: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (A)
    Another returner and basically a version of Danny Woodhead who is a FA next year

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I like it a lot...but Archer AND Thomas? What are we going to do with 5 RBs on the team? haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I like this, how do you see the trade working out to make this draft happen? Also, what other WR's were available when you took Lee? Moncrief, Latimer?

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Lee's butterfingers are reason for concern, but the guy would have been a top 20 pick at worst had he come out last year. He plays fast, and big, and reminds me quite a bit of Keenan Allen. And like Allen he wasn't getting much help from the QB position (neither is Moncrief or Latimer really). Point is he's a ridiculous steal at 41.

Latimer doesn't really play at his timed speed, but Moncrief does, I'd take either at 57.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I'd be happy with all three, but Lee's USC background scares me ( so many busts). Latimer and Moncrief are larger guys and I'd like some jump ball ability apposite Allen. It's just adds another dimension to our passing attack and it's one River's likes. What is sad, is we basically need a copy of WR's we've already had. Jackson, Floyd or Alexander.

A Floyd type would be perfect, someone that isn't going to be so dominant that we can't afford to re-sign, but brings all the things a larger receiver should bring to the table and he gets open down field. Even if Floyd comes back, we need that element in the bigger picture. Most the these WR's are smaller, quicker guys or smooth possession types with medium to average builds. So despite this drafts depth at the position, there isn't a much in terms of size it seems.

Brandon Coleman is an interesting prospect and he's massive at 6'6. He doesn't have the speed we need, but he's a guy I'm kind of interested in, but not at the expense of getting one of the top WR's in this draft. If we had the roster space though he could be an interesting day three pick if he lasts that long.

10. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    As for Van Noy , there are other guys that have more offer in any one area, but few, if any as complete as he is at OLB. If the Chargers don't see Ingram as Johnson's replacement, then Van Noy would be a great selection because we will miss Johnson's skill set next year if he's gone. Van Noy will be a good replacement.

11. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    That would be a fantastic draft. But the trade is horrible. Last year we gave up a 4th rd pick to move up in the 2nd round for Te'o. For a team to move up and get an additional 1st round pick, it would have to a 3rd rounder in addition to the 2nd round pick.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Have to agree with this. I like the players, but to move from 25 to 41 is worth more than what we got.

I'm not sure what happened to our 3rd round pick at 89 either, it just kinda disappeared. We have Buffalo's pick, but not our own?

13. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    How did we get the Browns picks? I'm just curious about this trades mechanics.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Evidently the trade back with Buffalo was their 2nd and a swap of 3rd's for our 1st - which is pretty shoddy value (like late 3rd round value to make that move).

Because we're so low in the 1st, I doubt we're making out with getting a 2nd round pick free and clear for trading back into the 2nd (in large part because there aren't a whole lot of teams with multiple 2nd's unless someone trades back from a higher 1st round pick earlier on and acquires an extra). But a 3rd round pick, free and clear, should be a given.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    And the fun part is when draft day comes, and teams start trading back and forth in the top half of the 1st round, there may be more teams with multiple 2nd round picks after the draft starts, who to jump back into the 1st to get someone whos sliding.

It's all very confusing and exciting, I'm sick of waiting.

16. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    This isn't your typical pick, but i think that we could have legit interest in Timmy Jernigan. He's not a typical nose, but he could very well be a NT that is very similar to a guy that we tried really hard to go after in Earl Mitchell, but i think he's a better version of him. Not a true 0T NT, but playing 1T still with the ability to play some 2 gapping roles. For some reason it seems like we're trying to build a smaller, quicker defense, and i think he'd fit the role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    It would be a ***** killer, but not a bad idea. That's the problem with turtling up in FA, you have so many holes it doesn't much matter who you draft it's probably going to fill a need.

What do you think of Stephon Tuitt in round 2? I know he's unlikely to fall that far, but his injury history is going to scare a lot of people away.

Daquan Jones?
    Ego Ferguson?
    I know you've mentioned Easley before, if you're serious about him Caraun Reid wouldn't be a bad option either. Not to mention Ellis, Kerr, Allen, and I actually like Jay Bromley as a day 3 prospect.

I feel like the advantage of searching for 1 gap NTs is it expands the pool quite a bit, I'm not sure we need to get the BEST one to get an effective one, or at least an effective rotation.

18. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    I dont know what the blanked out word you were using there was....lol

Re: Tuitt, no thanks. We have both our DE's locked up for another 2 seasons now that we exercised the option on Liuget's contract, and Lawrence Guy looked actually pretty solid in terms of depth. Even if its best value on the board, its one of the few positions (along with FS, ILB and RB) that i'd pass up on.

Jones has interesting potential but he doesn't seem like a great player yet, and quite honestly, i'm not convinced that our coaching staff can develop talent like they would have to with Jones.

Kerr is a guy i really like, and i think he's around a 3rd or 4th round pick (about 2 rounds higher than most). Really compact strength, can control blockers and is a pure leader and great character guy supposedly. I haven't heard why he left Penn State, but that could be something to look at.

I need to watch Ego more before i can really speak on him.

Beau Allen is more of a really late round pure run stuffer, and thats about all he'll ever bring to the table.

I'm kind of split on Ellis. On one hand, he looked flat out dominant in the all star games, but when you watched him play in real games, he plays soft. Its almost exactly the same thing that Cam Thomas was coming out. Was a late round pick off play, got hyped up during all star games/combine work (people had him as a 2nd round pick and i laughed at them) and we ended up with him in the 5th...So i'm not entirely solid on him as a great big NT.

Easly would be interesting in the Corey Liuget role in our defense, but definitely not at NT (if thats the Easily i'm thinking of...the Florida one...)

Cauran Reid is another guy i need to watch. I've heard that there's LOTS of NFL scouts that absolutely love him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I just don't grade Timmy as a 1st round prospect. If he's available at our natural 2nd, by all means. But at #25... it's no dice for me.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I have a feeling TT already knows who he wants, and these late visits are probably just due diligence if not outright disinformation. I think Jernigan could be a nice fit for what we seem to be looking for, but like Kyle Van Noy picking him at 25 is tough to get excited about.

I think a real dark horse is probably Jeremiah Attaochu, I know we've talked to him a couple times. I personally like him more than Ealy and Ford.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Trying to remember, did we end up drafting anyone we brought in for visits last year? I'm fairly certain Steve Williams said we'd never even met with him prior to selecting him. I know Liuget said the same thing - but AJ was pretty notorious for not drafting the guys we brought in for visits (rather the guys he or the coaches went to to visit).

22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132

Pretty sure we brought in Manti.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Telesco, said at least one Scout, coach, etc. has met all 3 Keenan Allen, DJ Fluker, Manti T'eo at some point during the draft last year.

And I am almost 100% certain that given the amount of attention they gave Lane Johnson last year, he would of been their guy if he were there at 11.

24. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I hate Roger Goodell, I woke up this morning and almost lost it. I'm so ready for the draft I could pull my hair out. Two weeks back is too much. The guy has to screw with everything. I can't stand him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +577
    As appreciation for your patience, you will be rewarded with a shorter waiting period for rookies to sign their prospective contracts, leading up to the mini camps and the pre-season ;)

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    And your hate is pretty misplaced. Goodell's the mouthpiece - but effectively everything he does is on behalf or with the primary interests of the 32 owners.

Thank Deano and Alex - they're as much if not more responsible than Rog is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    So even if what you say is true, if he's their mouthpiece, then he's there to take their flak too and paid well for it. I don't really hate the man himself, I don't get personal about sports like that unless it's a special matter. I do hate many of the proposals and changes that have taken place under his tenure however.

It's just a rant, no need to nitpick, it was never intended to be "highbrow" commentary.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    The Chargers rank Ohio State C Corey Linsley "higher than most other teams" and could use a mid-round pick on him, reports draft insider Tony Pauline.

The two-year starter spent the early part of his Buckeyes' career backing up the guard and tackle spots. He won't wow you with his 6-foot-2, 296-pound frame nor his testing numbers, but he plays hard and smart. "Linsley is not a great athlete but rather a very good football player who uses all his assets to their maximum," reads Pauline's scouting report. "He's a smart blocker on the pivot who understands the game and could be a valued backup at the next level."

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    A leak from Chargers park? HA! I'll believe it when I see it Mr. Pauline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Just saying, it gets ridiculous when fans seem to constantly steam needlessly at as though he's this evil dictator out to ruin everything they love about football.

It seems like people are quick to assume that the NFL is as crooked at the administrative level as the NBA and MLB are (possibly was with regard to MLB once Selig is out of the way). It stinks waiting 2 weeks longer for the draft, but you want someone to blame for that - blame Easter (so maybe the Catholic church for it even being a holiday?). The reason it got pushed back wasn't any great amount of greed, it was because Radio City Music Hall was booked for an Easter show on the normal draft weekend (because that happened to fall on Easter weekend this year).

Now personally, I'd be a fan of them rotating the location of the draft as they do the Super Bowl (in fact it would be a neat tie in to start and conclude at the location of the Super Bowl for that given year), but at a time when the league is already taking flack for crapping on tradition (necessarily or unnecessarily), breaking away from the host site of the draft of the last good many years likely won't go over well (since people do love to nitpick and complain given any opportunity).

Sounding like we'll be getting some trade-offs in coming years. Free agency, starting next year, is likely to start early (before the combine) and the Draft is likely to remain the first or second weekend in May - they won't go any later because they'll do their damnedest to avoid scheduling it on Mothers' Day weekend at all costs.