1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I know we have a ton of these threads but with bowl games officially done, it's that time of the year to start your mock drafts..!

2. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    1. Eric Fisher - OT - Central Michigan - I still think he'll fall to us at 11. He will most likely be a starter from Day 1, beating out the likes of Haslam and Harris, but I don't think he'll be much better than they were, but he will be an improvement.
    2. Jon Bostic - ILB - Florida - With Spikes most likely retiring, I think this pick will hold great value. He's got Te'o, Minter, and Ogeltree ahead of him due to his senior year. I see a lot of Brandon Spikes in him, remember Spikes didn't have a great senior season coming out of Florida either, but both Spikes and Bostic had monster junior years. He has a tough time getting off his blocks in the run game but is pretty solid in coverage.
    3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson - CB - Connecticut - Love his aggressiveness and size, has a lot of starting experience and made some big plays against top competition.
    4. Brennan Williams OT - North Carolina - I believe he will fall down to the 4th round with the emergence of other OT's, and because he was injured for half the season, it will hurt his stock and also not getting an invite to the senior bowl.
    5. Theo Riddick - RB - Notre Dame - The guy finished his runs, lacks ideal size but it's the effort this kid puts in. Also, great versatility, he'd be a great rotating RB as he's played this role in college before.
    6. Jake Stoneburner - TE - Ohio - At Ohio State, he was used all over the place, similar to how Aaron Hernandez is used in New England. Has good length and catching radius, has strong hands and can really snatch the ball out of the air.
    7. Joe Vellano - DL - Maryland - This guy came close to triple digit tackles playing on the DL last year. That's unheard of. Obviously its tough to put up another year like his junior year, but I think he will be a project and well worth it. Think he will be a steal of the draft.

*EDITED*

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Chris Faulk declares for NFL Draft. could be a great pick up if he falls due to his injury. If his rehab is ahead of schedule, I'd like to see him work out and how he looks.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Anyone think we'll go somewhere other than OT?

If Milliner fell it'd be extremely tempting.
    If Star Loutlelei fell (unlikely but not impossible) I'd take him in a heart beat over anyone. A Liuget/Loutelei/Reyes D-line = :eek:
    If Jarvis Jones' medical history scares some people away he might fall.
    Barkevious Mingo is a classic talent > production player, I dunno about him.
    DaMontre Moore is a pipe dream, but god damn I love to have him across from Ingram.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If Lotulelei fell, that's an immediate draft. As in, Goodell doesn't get the sentence out of his mouth before he gets the card.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I do think its unlikely, unless he doesn't have the Poe/Suh type combine. But I've seen mocks lately where he falls as far as 14. If Fisher and Lotulelei are on the board at 11........uhhh I might still go Fisher, yes our O-line is that desperate, and Cam Thomas isn't that bad.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    He struggled at times in pass protection, but he can play RT as well. Guess well just have to see how he does at his workouts. I wouldn't waste anything more than a 5th rounder on him though.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If Fisher and Star are both on the board, we've won a Xmas miracle. I don't think that there's a way to lose that. Having said that, what's rarer, an elite LT, or an elite 3-4 NT prospect? This team DESPERATELY needs OL, but I don't think that Star gets down to us without Fisher being off the board already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I'll be honest, I don't think Star fits the 3-4 as a NT terribly well unless it's as a pure 1-gapper. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Williams. Does he destroy double-teams in the Pac-12? Yes. But that's largely as a pass-rushing presence, he's not doing a ton in run-defense instances against the double-team. Besides, if we were that intent on getting an NT out of this draft, you sit and wait till the 2nd and make a move for Jesse Williams (rugby players have all the fundamentals you're looking for in a pocket-collapsing, ground-holding nose-guard).

I'm honestly not as high on Jarvis Jones as some folks are. Don't know that I see another Von Miller - even if he didn't have the stenosis concerns. Mingo, I believe, is far more explosive even if his production this year doesn't show it as much. That said, I still take pass-rush over DB early on whenever possible. Look at the current defenses still in the playoffs - the ones with really good secondaries actually all found at least one or more of their primary CB's in the middle to later rounds of the draft, and the ones that don't mask those middling secondaries quite well because of the pass-rush they're able to produce.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    And I'll be honest I didn't think Corey Liuget would either, and I think Star could be bigger version Liuget.

Mingo would be a fun guy to watch, I'm just very concerned about his lack of moves, he doesn't have a counter punch, and there is no other way to say it.....he looks tentative coming off the line, like he doesn't trust his skills to get around the man in front of him. Right now I think Alex Okafor is a much better football player on every level, if not quite the athlete.
    \

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    See... and I think Montgomery's got the better future of the three. That said, I have a bit of a love affair with Bjoern Werner (though I also think that like Chris Long he's going to cement himself as a lock for Top 5 and goes Top 10 easily no matter what - I see no way he gets past Detroit). Pass-rush moves can be taught, explosiveness and instincts can't. I think Duffman's with me on this opinion, but Keke Mingo is the closest thing to a Clay Matthews in this draft - and I don't mean that he is another Clay Matthews, but that he has the potential to be the same type of speed-to-power type edge-rusher. The guy just doesn't look comfortable in a 3-point stance and I think that may be the hesitation you're seeing. I saw the same thing in Bruce Irvin last year. When he's working out of two-points, his instincts are just a thing of beauty and he's extremely fluid. He's got long arms and while he probably won't be putting on a ton more of weight (I wouldn't wager more than 10 pounds at max) onto his frame, he can get more effective functional strength out of what bulk he does have. The thing with Mingo is you're drafting him a bit on the come (similarly to how teams were with Aldon Smith or Jason Pierre-Paul); if he sniffs his ceiling, you've got a player with the kind of pass-rushing flexibility that really hasn't been seen since Jared Allen (the angles that I saw Mingo get his body into while using a shoulder-dip and duck-under. He's largely going to be drafted off of his 2011 tape and his combine performance. I can see where you'd look at his 2012 tape and doubt him having moves, but watching his 2011 tape he shows evidence of an effective rip-and-dip and a good spin move He's not gonna bull-rush anyone right off the bat (but that's why he's not going Top 5 like Von Miller did). Once he adds strength though, that bull-rush ability will come.

Honestly, see him falling a pick or two shy of us anyhow (I've got his slotted to the Jets in my mock right now because he's just too good a combination of need and value there and Rex loves his uber-athletes).

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723

It's a shame we're so desperate for O-line help, this would be the year to cash in on pass rushers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It's funny that you say that. What if Telesco recognizes that he doesn't need to win this season, and takes a longer term approach? It might be that if the line talent on the board at 11 isn't amazing that he just goes defense to take advantage of the talent pile.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Well if Eric Fisher is there he's worth the pick weather there are good pass rushers on the board or not. And Telesco has to realize protecting the immobile franchise QB is priority #1, otherwise Rivers becomes a $17M cap drain and nothing more.

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I was talking about a situation where the line talent isn't amazing, which would indicate that Fisher is off the board.

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Telesco already said his ideal draft is when the line of talent meets the line of need, but if it doesn't he isn't going to reach therefore BPA

I think Fisher at 11 is promising. Eagles and Cards are our 2 biggest threats but Im sure at least one of them ay steer in a different direction

17. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I can easily see the Eagles passing with the reason of Jason Peters coming back, as LBC always says, you don't use a high pick on a RT unless you have a left handed qb, which it doesn't look they will. Then if Arizona reaches for a QB that's them out, although Steve Keim says he's going BPA.

However I can easily see a team like Chicago jumping Arizona or us to get Joeckel or Fisher respectively. That would mean a higher chance of getting another dominant defensive player, with the obvious biggest need being CB, a Dee Milliner would be ideal, however getting Star Lotulelei, Damontre Moore, Jarvis Jones, Bjorn Werner, Dion Jordan or Jonathon Banks wouldn't exactly bad. I think we're sitting pretty at 11 where we can afford to pick BPA on a player that drops.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I'll be honest, I'm hoping someone jumps us for Joeckel if that's the case. The more and more I watch tape of him the more and more I'm thinking he's not this significant Day One starter that so many are touting him as. He sure as heck isn't "Joe Thomas" that Rob Rang is comparing him to - he can't touch Thomas' athleticism by a long shot. Heck... he doesn't have Tyron Smith's athleticism. He's guy who gets by on mostly-clean technique who has pretty average (from what I've seen, the combine will give a better reading on that) athleticism and struggles against power-rushers. As far as former prospect comparisons I've got him somewhere in between Michael Roos and Duane Brown (mind you, both those guys turned into quality pro's but they weren't that right off the bat). If he turns out to be more athletic than he looks on tape I might be willing to elevate that comparison to "Ryan Clady" but even then, you plug rookie Ryan Clady into a power-scheme versus a primarily zone-blocking scheme and he doesn't perform nearly as well as he did in Denver.

A couple other guys to keep an eye on are Justin Pugh from Syracuse - he has injury concerns but after Fisher he may be the most pro-ready power-scheme LT in this class. The other one is Dallas Thomas, who I think sees his value stay the same (honestly a guy's value always stay the same, he just moves up and down big boards) but does see his name fall below certain other guys like Johnson and possibly Aboushi on big boards because of the ceiling of the other two as LT's. Thomas likely isn't cracking the 1st round because his ceiling is highest as a guard, but he's a capable LT or RT at the next level who won't be spectacular but he also won't be a liability.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Wouldn't that be great!?!
    Telesco's probably sharp enough to have internalized the true lesson o' Norv: "Too darn much winning."
    If Telesco is really a genius, perhaps he'll realize what juicy, juicy rewards await the clever coach
    that outwits the rest of the league by almost never winning. Go Lions!

(sorry, just too much fun to resist...no need to start it all up again...I'm one and done on "lose to win" today) :)

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Although the principle of pursuing the long-term interests of the team over the short term interests is the same, the application is completely different. I suppose you think that Telesco should take the player who will help the team win the most individual games immediately instead of the best player for the long term? If so, here's to our new running back!

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Broncos did it when they took Miller. All their fans here were pissed because they all felt that DT/NT was their biggest need. But Miller seems to have worked out.

With that Said, taking a "long term" approach with a QB has been destroyed the last 2 years. Another year of that, and we better start looking for another QB because Rivers body and confidence will not maintain long enough for a long term rebuild

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They are not always mutually exclusive. Someone who helps immediately can also be a long term benefit.

By the way, best long term AND short term effect will be a LT because no matter who our QB is, they will struggle behind a terrible line

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I watch Montee Ball.
    I see Frank Gore.

I like Montee.:tup: If he fell to us in the 3rd I'd be very tempting, even over O-line and CB.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Updated Mock Draft here!

11. Lane Johnson - OT - Oklahoma
    47. Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
    78. Tavarres King WR - Georgia
    109. Stephan Taylor - RB - Stanford
    140. Michael Buchanan - OLB - Illinois
    171. Brandon McGee - CB - Miami
    207. Blaize Foltz - OG - TCU

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    We don't need more WRs, that pick can go almost anywhere else and I'll be happy.
    Too early for a TE, although I do think we need one in this draft.
    Not a fan of Buchanan at all.

I would be fine with Johnson at 11, although a little bitter about my boy Eric Fisher.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Fisher will for sure go top 10 now. Johnson looks like a good pick up at 11.

Gates just doesn't have it anymore man. Who knows whats going on with Ladarius Green, he still is very raw. And Tyler Eifert has real good hands, and should go in the 1st but Zach Ertz got the best of him and he might slip to us in the 2nd round. Rivers needs options on offense, and a Gates who can't get separation doesn't help him. Eifert is also turning into a real good blocker as well.

I don't know at WR. We need someone there. Floyd doesn't get separation, and I hope he gets cut, and who knows what happens with Alexander, Meachem and Royal.

I like King, and I want to see him at the combine. He likes to catch the ball with his body more than I like, but when he was forced to use his hands he didn't look to bad.

I like Buchanan. Long arms, and he was 5th in the nation with bat downs for d-linemen. If he can develop a better pass rush he could be a steal. Needs to add a little more muscle, and you add in Liuget, with his ability to get tips on the ball and Buchanan in the future, you could have something special.

Its obvious we need to go offensive in this draft. Last year we went defensive with our picks, now its time to add some tools to our offense.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Fisher - Lets not just assume a player is going top 10 because he's worthy, you have to find a team to match him too. The Cardinals seem most logical to me, but they'd have to move Fisher or Levi Brown to RT which means someone is going to be unhappy, and lets not forget they still desperately need a QB.

WR - We are fine as the 2013 season goes. Alexander deserves a shot to prove he's a #1, Floyd is a viable #2, we're going to get Vincent Brown back who many people believe is the best receiver on the roster, Eddie Royal was always a horrible fit for Norv's base offense (as I swore up and down he would be) but the dude can still get separation and YAC. Meachem is a good athlete and a better person, I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself with this new staff. And lets not forget Michael Spurlock, he is a very capable slot receiver. Also, lets add LaDarius Green who by all rights is a WR/TE with huge upside. Unless a steal falls to us somewhere don't count on any WRs being selected.

TE - I think Gates will do a lot better when Philip does a lot better...which means having an offensive line. That said we need to find his heir as well as replace Randy McMichael who offers little or nothing in terms of production.

I agree we need to go offensive line, but you need to remember we're going to lose Jammer and Spikes, possibly Cason and Shaun Phillips, and I don't think Franklin and Barnes are shoe ins to re-sign with us either. We're not set on defense enough to start taking WRs or TEs unless an absolute steal falls in our lap.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think Alexander is a shoe-in either though, and can't be counted on as a #1 receiver and neither can Floyd. Both an injury waiting to happen. Same thing with Meachem and Royal. Spurlock I liked a lot, and I think he will be kept for sure over Goodman, better return man and offers something in the passing game.

But at TE, we need someone to replace Gates. The guy will be 33 when the season starts, I see more of a decline than anything man, he struggled to get separation at time, he doesn't have that quickness or burst any more. And if Eifert can catch as well as Gates, and block almost just as good as McMichael what's the risk? Sounds more like a reward to me.

Jammer I think will be re-signed to play SS, at least I hope. But, I'd be open to drafting a SS in the 2nd or 3rd round as well. I think Taylor still deserves a fair shot.

Spikes I think might stick around another year unless they see him as a cap casualty. Gachkar and Mouton need to step up, and I think we need to sign a FA at ILB.

If Franklin doesn't re-sign, there are plenty of DT's on the market. But I'd like him back and also giving Thomas a fair chance. Barnes needs to be re-signed because Phillips will walk for sure, he's not going to get the money he wants here.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Alexander has no choice, we either RFA tag him or we don't and its all but certain we will. And as he's never been to a Pro Bowl, broken 1000 yards or 10 TDs its extremely unlikely he'll pull a Vincent Jackson on us. Floyd is an IR risk as always, but the dude is a solid #2 when healthy, and Meachem has the upside as well, as does Royal, as does Vincent Brown.

Jammer and Spikes are a long shots, Spikes will likely be released if he doesn't retire, we're not going to pay him that check.

Franklin is not a DT he's a NT, and there are not plenty of them on the market, at least not decent ones.

We should worry about 1 problem at a time, and WR is not as big of an issue as 3 of our 5 O-line positions, our our CB situation, or even our OLB situation. If Justin Hunter or Kenan Allen fell to us in the 2nd I think we'd be forced to consider, and still I think we pass.

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I would have nothing against taking a high quality TE in the 2nd under the following conditions:

A) We've taken a Tackle in the 1st
    B) No CB on the board is at the talent level of the TE on the board
    C) If we've taken a defender in the 1st, but no tackle still on the board grades out as a LT prospect, or with a 2nd round grade.

• Agree Agree x 2