1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Whitehurst is going to play if Rivers gets hurt. The rookie isnt going to and most likely wont even be active all year. I wouldnt pick any QB's from this class. Id wait til next years draft to get one. But whatever....i think it is a wasted pick for this year. If they draft one, they draft one, but i see no value in it just like i saw no value in AJ drafting Crapton in the 5th that year. Didnt like him in college and he was a horrible wasted pick...again!

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    This is one of my off the radar QB's would love to have him replace Whitehurst to back up Rivers

Only as a 7th-UDFA pick

Tulane QB Ryan Griffin has three team visits scheduled in the near future.
    The Chargers, Jaguars, and Steelers are the three teams, and the last two have shown a lot of interest in quarterbacks throughout the process thus far. Griffin was the best quarterback at the Texas versus Nation game and should be a later round pick.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    It's way to hard to do a mock right now where we don't trade down or trade up...so I'm gonna pass for now.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I like this mock from WalterFootball.com..

1. Lane Johnson OT
    2. Larry Warford OG
    3. Giovanni Bernard RB
    4. Leon McFadden CB
    5. Trevardo Williams OLB

I don't know if Giovanni Bernard falls that low, and Trevardo Williams is definitely a top-100 prospect. Still leaves a hole at NT, can't fill that position with another 6th rounder at best. Don't think we need another CB, think that should be a cheap vet signing, I like McFadden but next years class is the one to take a corner with Bradley Roby, Justin Gilbert, Quandre Diggs, and possibly Deshazor Everett. And we have 4 CB's on the roster already.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    HAHAHA Williams in the 5th round, Walter is off his rocker.

Also I'm tired of hearing "but next years class is the one to take a ____" It's always going to feel like that, but injuries happen, players disappoint, other players emerge, our needs change, who knows Shareece Wright could have a great season and Antonio Gates could retire and all of a sudden CB is the last thing on our mind.

6. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Walter Football isnt a good draft site. Only thing i like about it is his postings of teams prodays is good since NFL.com doesnt do that the way they used to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well it is true lol

Next years CB and QB class is pretty good and deep.

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I just like it cause they mock more than the 1st round and its interesting, but not when he does stupid **** like that, Trevardo Williams in the 5th lol

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    New Mock,

1. Lane Johnson OT - 3 OT's could go in the top 10, hopefully he falls to us. (92.9)
    2. John Jenkins NT - Massive man, built like a refrigerator. Fills a need as well. (81.3)
    3. Kiko Alonso ILB - Has a natural feel for the position, great athleticism and awareness. (67.1)
    4. Le'Veon Bell RB - Bruising big back, exactly what we need for Ryan Mathews and Co. (71.2)
    5. Michael Buchanan OLB - Long athletic freak, he could go anywhere from 3-6. (69.5)
    6. Earl Watford OG - Quick in the run game, solid anchor in the pass game. He could go earlier though. (68.1)
    7. Marquess Wilson WR - A throw up and get it type receiver, also a natural pass catcher. (67.3)

Parenthesis represents NFL.com's rating at the combine.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Again the drafted QB would replace Whitehurst, because its a much cheaper option. If Rivers goes down, we're screwed anyways, what the **** is Charlie Whitehurst going to do? He hasn't thrown a pass in a game in 3 years. Might as well bring somebody new in and that they can develop under their radar and how they like. It doesn't mean anything if they grab a guy in the 6th, 7th or as an UDFA. It's hard to see Whitehurst, with his salary that doesn't match his play to be kept around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Look im no fan of Whitehurst. I hated the pick when it was made, cheered when they got a 3rd back for him. I dont think he is that great but no 6th round drafted rookie is going to be our back up this season. If they want another backup other than him, they should sign one or draft one higher in the draft. QB's are a dime a dozen and if they want to develope one to be a backup, use a higher pick on one but again, i see no point in doing that this year. We have too many bigger needs and this QB class sucks. Next year with more cap space and not so many huge needs, they can do it.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    BUT why are we paying him $1.8M against the cap to hold the damn clipboard?! Philip Rivers has yet to miss a start, 7 consecutive 16 game seasons. I understand paying that money to a back up when your QB is injure-prone (Vick, Ponder, etc.) but ours isn't. The man had a torn ACL, a torn ACL, and still came here into New England, snowy conditions and played. You'd have to break his throwing arm for him not to go out there and play.

13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Walt Chrepinski (Walter Football) is a half-assed betting prognosticator with a poor track record and certainly no talent evaluator. The only thing that site is good for is the amount of info, such as Boltjolt mentioned, and a good laugh. A blind pig could do as well if all you care about is getting picks in the matching order.

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Thats what backups do. Philip likes to have Whitehurst talking to him during the games and said that when he left. I mean what does him carrying a clip board have to do with anything? He is the backup and i hope whoever they bring in, also carries the clip board and never sees the field.

You keep saying 1.8 million like he is breaking the bank for a backup. That is almost half of what Volek was making. He was making 3 million. Chase Daniel has never taken a NFL snap and just signed a 3 year , 10 million deal with KC. Last season, Jason Campbell made 3.5 million to backup Cutler.

How much do you think backups should make? I think he is realitivily cheap unless you want to wait til halfway thru preseason to sign one. Sure a 6th round drafted guy wouldbe cheaper but he also is going to be worse and may not develope at all. Again, i dont see the point of doing that till next season when we can use a higher pick on one and there are more talented QB's in the draft.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Man.. do you see Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees crying about when their backups walk out the door? Who cares if Philip "likes" to talk to him. A QB guru like McCoy is more knowledgeable of the game than Whitehurst is, there's simply no need for Whitehurst anymore.

Never said "$1.8M is breaking the bank for a backup", I just feel, with this cap strapped team that $1.8M could be going towards a position of need right now. And also, when your QB hasn't missed a start since he has taken the full time job, there's no need for it.

Again your making my point, Jay Cutler is always on the injury report, did you not watch football in 2011? The Bears plummeted after Cutler went out they were in prime position for a playoff spot. Alex Smith, has had his injury woes as well in his career, specifically last year with that gruesome concussion.

And if Charlie Whitehurst is in the game, we're going to lose. No matter if its a field goal or by a couple TD's, a 6th, 7th rounder or UDFA QB is going to do the same thing, except we're not paying nearly $2M for them to do that. There have been a few 6th-UDFA QB's that have developed into solid starters.

16. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    What?....who said anything about Philip crying when he left? LOL, dude your out there sometimes.
    So you say that 1.8 million can go toward a position of need yet you want to draft a 6th round scrub and waste $500,000 of it on him?

Last years 6th round pick at the number we pick at is Winston Guy of the Seahawks. He got a 4 year 2.2.million deal plus a signing bonus. Thats where that savings you keep talking about by cutting Whitehurst is going. To a 6th round QB you want to draft who wont see the field and we will have to sign another backup because that guy wont be ready. Did you see what we did to McElroy last season when we played the Jets? Did you watch football in 2012? Great idea there :confused:

Your right, when your QB hasnt missed a start in his career, ....we dont need to waste a late pick on some project from a weak QB class. Draft a player at another posstion we can develope. And your making MY point. IF Rivers gets hurt, some 6th round rookie isnt who you want to stick out there.
    If your so worried about the cap, why do you want us to keep Gaither when we can save $500,000 by cutting him? The guy isnt trustworthy.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Here's some simple math here for you bud..

Winston Guy 2012 Cap Hit: $320,015K
    Charlie Whitehurst 2013 Cap Hit: $1,800,000M
    -----------------------------------------------
    + $1,479,985M

No, when your QB hasn't missed a start his entire career you don't need to invest $1.8M into a back up who does nothing but takes snaps in pre-season. Whitehurst was Norv's guy. Norv's not here anymore.

And what will 500K do to add to the cap if Gaither is cut? Where will that go to? You tell me where we can find a replacement for 500K :roflmao: Might as well keep the guy, your not going to pay him $13.5M to play 4 games, he's got to play this year without a doubt.

McElroy didn't play bad in that game against us. That's the numbers you expect Whitehurst to put up. 14 of 24, and 185 yards. McElroy was a game manager coming out of Alabama, never asked to throw the ball. And add to the fact, NYJ got horrible O line play last year, cause we had 11 sacks in that game. Plus, the NYJ didn't have any good QB coaches, who can work on mechanics and the basic stuff like McCoy, Whisenhunt, and Frank Reich can.

Where will you develop any position in the 6th round as fast as a QB? Cam Thomas was a 5th rounder, a 5th rounder, and is not trusted to be the full time starter at NT.

Mike McCoy helped with Jake Delhomme's (undrafted) development, and reached the Super Bowl. Did you see what he did with Tim Tebow mid way through the season 2 years ago?

If we get a guy in the 6th, 7th, or as an UDFA, don't be surprised if Whitehurst is cut, all I'm saying, and also he deserves to be.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
  21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Wrong again. I guess the math isnt so simple for you, Bud!
    You dont know your facts like you think you do. And dont forget, this below also includes a signing bonus. Take that out and like i said, it is just short of $500,000.

5/7/2012: Signed a four-year, $2.210 million contract. The deal included a $110,060 signing bonus. 2013: $480,000, 2014: $570,000, 2015: $660,000, 2016: Free Agent

And Tebow sucks...what did he do? Please tell me? He completed LESS than 50% of his passes in a league where it is easier than ever for a QB. Dont think he threw one pass last year...but maybe one on a fake..and was passed over for McElroy for 2nd string. But hey, if your impressed with Tebow, then i guess your thoughts on any players i should just disregard.

Im done with this dumb discussion.

As for Gaither ...Dean will save 4.5 million from his own pocket. Thats pretty significant...plus save the meager $500,000 on the cap. It may not be much to you, but they tendered DX a tender that saves them only $700,000 so id say it matters to THEM and together will be 1.2 mil when nobody offers him a deal. Gaither will be gone soon.

And id hardly call Wisenhunt a good QB coach. His QB's sucked in AZ. Absolutely horrible. Same type of play by Lindley is what we will get with a low round guy like you want. Again, this QB class is crap. I dont even like the top guys let alone the scrubs on the bottom.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I didn't see the subtraction of 97,500 from Winston Guy's contract, so thats 417,515. So then, a savings of $1,382,485M, there happy? ;)

Again, you continue to put words in my mouth. Never said Tim Tebow was good, never said I was impressed. Do you have a reading problem? I'm talking in terms of Mike McCoy and what he did with Tebow. He threw out most of the playbook that was meant for Kyle Orton at QB, and revamped it for Tim Tebow. And yes Tebow wasn't that great, but guess what, he still went 7-4 as a starter and threw a game winning TD in the playoffs for the Broncos. And still beat us that season, and almost led the Broncos to a comeback the 1st game we played them.

One more time, yes Dean will save $4.5M in his pocket, but his also shelling out $13.5M out of his pocket to pay Gaither for 4 games played. I hardly doubt their going to cut him if he's willing to play. $4.5M will count towards next years cap, not this years. Its funny how you and others think when its not your own money. Hilarious.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583

Even being impressed with Tebow is worthy of an eye roll. He's like the Jets 5th string QB now, they can't even give him away. He's basically Derek Anderson in that he had one flukish good year (record wise, not statistically)...but much worse, and I don't see anyone saying they're impressed by Derek Anderson.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    But I'm not impressed by him. Just stating facts and stats. But I've heard enough of Tebow, seems like he makes his way in any football conversation.

25. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Poor people throw good money after bad. Dean Spanos is not poor.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    That is discribing you.

You think they will keep him instead of Dean saving 4.5 million this year? Who cares what he shelled out last year, that money is spend, gone, he has been paid...nothing you can do about it but he can do something about giving him more money this year. And no, 4.5 million will not count towards next year cap if he is cut this year. 6 million will count toward this years cap and then he is off the books.

Of course he is going to say he wants to play. He has 6.5 mill coming to say that. If they determine he isnt as motivated as they want to see him, he will be cut and reports are he could be cut in a couple weeks so that isnt a ringing endoresment for him.

I wouldnt hold your breath that Whitehurst will be cut and replace him with some low round rookie.

As for Winston guy, your looking at his 2012 salary and deduction which was for being suspended 4 games in 2012. His cap hit next season is $507,515.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/winston-guy/

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    How is that describing me? He is guaranteed $13.5M, I'm pretty sure he's already been paid $9M. He will be paid $13.5M, and also it will be a $6M a cap hit this year if we cut him. $6M that we don't have, seeing how we spent nearly $10M in free agency, and $5M will for the draft, leaves us with the estimated cap space we had at the start of free agency which was $15M.

And yes I do think they will keep him, paying him $13.5M compared to a savings of $4.5M you get for cutting him is nothing, its a loss of $9M of Dean's money.

Well just agree to disagree once again..

28. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Well if the Chargers have to pay Gaither 4.5 million either way then that's a different story. No cash saved by releasing him.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Well we actually save 500k, but not a huge deal in NFL money.

More important is the impact he has on the locker room.

30. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Opps, wrong again. Common sense prevails. Deans saves 4.5 million in his pocket and they save a meager $500,000 on the cap though its still a 6 mill hit. They have paid Gaither 9 million for 4 games.