1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    How sure are you about this? Supposedly he was guaranteed 13.5 million, which means Dean saves nothing by this release.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Dean does save money for himself by releasing him. It'd keep him from a $4.5 million base salary; he already absorbed $9 million in cash from his four games last season.
    Acee explained it last month: Gaither was "virtually guaranteed" $13.5 million because it was virtually inconceivable that Gaither would be cut before season 2 of the deal.

Since he was, he doesnt have to pay his 4.5 base salary this year.

The effect his release would have on this year's salary cap space is negligible, but it'd clear his contract from the books for good in 2014, saving at least $4 million towards next years cap. Virtual guarranteee isnt teh same as an absolute guarantee. Everyone was just figuring Gaither isnt going to get ousted, but TT did it and saved Dean 4.5 million is his pocket and $500,000 towards the cap.

If he had stayed this year, the cap hit was 6.5 million but they save $500,000 of that cap wise by releasing him.

3. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Good stuff man. Thanks.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Congratulations..

I liked this and I didn't like this release. For one, we gave a $9M to play 4 games. It's not even my money and I'm mad. Its quite embarrassing. And two, we're pretty much screwed in the draft. We have to pray that one of the top 3 OT's will fall to us, and if they don't we're gonna trade up, and some team knowing this, will demand a big package.

I'd say Telesco has balls if he cuts Jeromey Clary. Apparently, Joe D likes Jeromey Clary :poop:

5. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Not like it doesnt happen throughout the NFL and a big reason why there is a rookie cap now. Also big money FA's dont work most of the time. Washington ate a lot of Haynesworth money. As i said, there isnt anything you can do about the money spent but there is something you can do about the money you are to pay out and they did.

Alledgedly that lazy POS was supposed to have a talk scheduled with Telesco and Rivers, just Telesco or just Rivers and he didnt show up so they just got rid of him.

They didnt call him "Big Lazy" in Baltimore for nothing.

As for the draft, it shouldnt change their needs. There will also be some cuts made down the road and they can pick up another OT for depth. Teams can demand what they want for trades, doesnt mean they will get it. The other team has to be willing to trade and if they like the idea, they will work with you and if they arent keen to trading, you move on and call another team.

Many times these kind of trades are worked out in advance in the first round if players are on the board they they convey and the team we are trading with will know who we are after. However, i doubt we are trading up in this draft with as many holes as we have. Just cant afford to give away a 2nd round pick.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I think Clary is safe, For Now!:sick:
    That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be starting, Both Telesco and McCoy said they will put the "Best" 11 players on the field, I can't possibly see any scenario where Clary fits that description.

The biggest question now is do we take Lane Johnson at 11? or do we trade back (now hear me out) take Cooper or Warmack, and grab a Brennan Williams, Menelik Watson, Terron Armstead type player with that extra pick? Going with the 2 birds with one stone approach. I know everyone in the 2nd tier are more of a project, and Rivers has maybe 5 years left. The thing is, we're not one player away from the SuperBowl. Would one more year really be that much of a factor?

Again, I want Lane Johnson but I'm sure Telesco and McCoy know more and see more than you or I. I believe they know what they are doing.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Yes, its unfortunate cause the kid has talent, he is only 26 too.

But, quitters never win. No team will pick him up, unless its for cheap and knowing how the Patriots are, look for them to add to their depth and Belicheck will some how get him to play.

But, back on track. There is some depth out there, Demetress Bell, Max Starks and a few others. Only if they came cheap. But, certainly I'd still draft an OT with the first two picks.

Although, I feel like we should trade back and select Terron Armstead in the high teens-mid 20's range, but then again we need a starter.

I'd look into Rodger Saffold, but if the Rams are asking for ransom, no thanks.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I always find it fun to find out which prospect the Chargers meet with (In house), and I know it doesn't really mean much of anything but I find it also a bit odd that you don't hear much in that department. At least for the bigger prospect names. I know a lot of the meetings took place at the EW/SB/ and Combine but you'd think a couple of these players would be brought in as well. I hope many just aren't being reported or many scheduled meetings will come shortly.

So far the 3 names I heard were
    QB Ryan Griffen, DL Rufus Johnson, and LB Kiko Alonso

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Would really love this,

1. Eric Fisher OT
    2. Alex Okafor OLB
    3. Kiko Alonso ILB
    4. Bennie Logan NT
    5. Mike Gillislee RB
    6. Jake Stoneburner TE
    7. Earl Watford OG

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Raise your hand if this has happened to you

Looking at mock drafts
    " Lane Johnson:D , Lane Johnson:) , Laa-ne Johnson:cautious: , same old pick every time, would be nice to see it mixed up every now and then:whistling: . Lane Johnson:sleep: , Lane................... WTF?!?!?!:confused: Desmond Trufant?!?!?!?:eek: GTF out of here!!!!!!!!:mad:, Lane Johnson:rolleyes: , Lane Johnson:) "

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696

New mock...

11 - OT Lane Johnson :tup:
    45 - OG Kyle Long
    76 - OT Jordan Mills
    110 - OLB Brandon Jenkins
    145 - CB Micah Hyde
    179 - RB Cierre Wood
    221 - Who F'n cares?

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I would put Jamie Collins at 45 and if he falls Barrett Jones at 76 only because the experience he has at all positions on the line, Depending on what we discussed about Ingram at ILB 110 should be Jenkins or an ILB (preferably Jenkins with Ingram at ILB) The last 3 should be DE/NT/CB depth

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    This looks like the most likeliest Mock I've seen outside of trades of course

KC Luke Joeckel
    Jax Shariff Floyd
    Oak Dion Jordan
    Phi Star Lotulelei
    Det Ziggy Ansah
    Cle Dee Milliner
    AZ Eric Fisher
    Buf Geno Smith
    NYJ KeKe Mingo
    Ten Chance Warmack
    SD Lane Johnson

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    There's so many questions marks on where teams want to go in the top 10 its ridiculous and stressful for a fan of a team that holds the #11 overall pick.

I just can't see JAX passing up on Dion Jordan, he just fits right into what Gus Bradley might want to do down there. Plus they spent a top 10 pick on Tyson Alualu in 2010 and signed Roy Miller to both play DT.

God I hope ARI goes Kenny Vaccaro or Chance Warmack at #7. I could see them being an option to swap spots with MIA. I really think Eric Fisher will get to atleast #7. After that, it's question marks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    On what planet is Bennie Logan a 3-4 NT option? He has trouble keeping weight on (and even then maxed out at 309 lbs). His anchor is average at best. And he's an effort-rusher who really doesn't do anything meriting creating a "demand" for double-teams (i.e. everything about his tape suggests that unless he takes a massive step in his development he hasn't shown the potential for yet that he'll end up being a guy who can be solo-blocked at the pro level).

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well he needs to work on his pass rush, but he can be an effective run-stuffer at the NFL level. He has the quickness and strong hands, he has a thick lower frame as well. His 2011 tape is better than his 2012.

That, and I couldn't really think of a better option that might be laying around in the 4th round.

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I think LBC is suggesting he is too small to play NT. Ideal Tackles are around 320 to 330, big enough to swallow up interior linemen to open up holes for defensive ends and OLB's.

As I suggested on another page a guy I like at NT is TJ Barnes, who was a rotational guy at GT. He eats up blockers and with the right coaching, could be a wall against the run.

19. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Here is a different one, lol...well after round 1. Was deciding between Sio Moore and Collins and decided on Collins. I think both are 3rd round picks and would prefer Carradine in the 2nd but dont think he falls to us.

Bradon Williams from watching tape of him and higher rated John Jenkins and Jesse Williams and i really came away not seeing a big difference...especially between him and Jenkins. I think if he is there in the 4th, he is good value and a perfect 6'1", 335 lbs...even better if he goes to 345 later ;)

1. Lane Johnson, OT/Oklahoma
    2. Justin Pugh,OG/Syracuse
    3. Jaime Collins,OLB/So. Miss
    4. Brandon Williams, DT/ Missouri Southern st
    5. Terry Hawthorne, CB/ Illinois
    6. AJ Klein, ILB/Iowa st
    7. Braden Brown, OT/BYU

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Does anyone think Damontre Moore could fall to 45??

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I like TJ Barnes but he has to get his weight down. The man is 364. But other than that he was a rotational guy at Georgia Tech.

Kwame Geathers was a better rotational guy than TJ Barnes, but also a guy who could be out there because of his off the field issues is Montori Hughes.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yes. He's been a 2nd round prospect all this time, just for some reason draft guru sites decided that he should be teased as a Top Prospect. It's the classic tape over production argument - the same reason why Jarvis Jones is overrated by a good chunk of the internet community and particularly fans - production only tells part of the story. Moore is an "effort" pass-rusher without great athleticism who has gotten by on technique - that's all well and good but it doesn't automatically translate swimmingly to the pro's. He's effectively Ray Edwards with a bit less size (and the bulk he'll probably add on as a pro to be honest).

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Anyone else getting ready for Star?

Mike Jurecki of XTRA Phoenix suspects Cardinals RG Adam Snyder could be "the odd man out" if the team drafts a guard at No. 7 overall.

Solidifying the offensive line is key for Arizona following the acquisition of Carson Palmer. The Cardinals would probably prefer Lane Johnson or Eric Fisher with the seventh pick, but Alabama's Chance Warmack would certainly upgrade their front five if all three elite left tackles are gone by No. 7. Snyder is owed a $2.9 million base salary. He performed poorly in 2012 as both a run and pass

The Palm Beach Post "keep(s) hearing" the Dolphins will target Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson with their first pick, but that landing him would require trading up.
    With three top-54 picks and five in the first 82, Miami has more than enough ammo to make a move. The Fins have hinted at big draft plans, and we'd expect GM Jeff Ireland to aggressively explore trades. Johnson could go as high as No. 5 to the Lions, so Ireland would have to put together a serious package. Ireland seems to be GMing for his job this offseason, so anything is possible.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    5m

Oregon ILB Kiko Alonso visited with Chargers on Monday, source says. Potential option in second round, starter next to Donald Butler.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This scares me, us trying to prevent another team from lead frogging us, is why we traded up to get Ryan Matthews and wasting draft picks we couldn't afford to give up in a year where we had more holes than just RB

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Id say Alonzo is more a 3rd-4th round pick.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I agree, and Im hoping its just Smoke, but if teams move up to take the LT's or all 3 go in the top 5 which has been suggested, I say we sit patiently and take Star or one of the 2 guards (although not great value) from a position stand point, both of those players would be value in the run game and also help pass protect.Like I said only "If" the top 3 tackles are taken.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I say we take one of the guards or trade back. Star would be mis-cast at NT, and we already have 2 good DE's that have cost high picks the last 2 years. No chance would I take a D-Line at that pick.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Granted, just about everything coming out of Arians' mouth is "coach speak" and a good bit of it contradicting itself, but all accounts I've heard thus far state that Arians is fond of his two young tackles - who didn't give up a sack for the last 3 games of last season. Furthermore, Keim is, by all accounts, a staunch BPA proponent who doesn't really subscribe much to positional premiums if he things he's getting an elite prospect at the particular position (i.e. the guy pushing to draft Adrian Peterson over Levi Brown in '07 despite the Cards having a gaping hole at OT). Now, if Warmack is everything the hype is making him out to be (I'm not convinced he is, but he is certainly a superior prospect to DeCastro from last year's class) then Keim strikes me as the type of GM that would view him as BPA over a less-developed Lane Johnson.

Fisher, at this point, I don't give much of a chance of making it by Detroit as their GM is another BPA drafter who doesn't really care if he drafted that position the previous year or not (see drafting Fairley one year removed from drafting Suh). Only chance I give it is if Detroit gets offered a sweet deal to trade back so they can target a DE (which is a more pressing need) for their Wide-9 or they truly view Ansah as BPA (which at #5 overall he isn't).

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    The way I see it the season is over before it starts if we can't keep PR standing upright. I hope TT is on the phone with every team in the top 7 (KC and OAK excluded) including Arizona asking what it will take to move up.

Although if we do miss out on the "big 3", and Dion Jordan is still on the board at 8, I would consider making that trade with the Bills. They would probably appreciate a chance to salvage some value in picking Geno Smith or Ryan Nassib, I think we could move up for pennies on the dollar.

And to add to that I think every team in the top 10 will be looking to trade down, tis the new fad.