1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344

And I agree, but I have been soiled by the old regime. Tom Telesco can say he takes the draft seriously but will have to prove it. I don't buy into what GM's and coaches say anymore. Show me that you know wtf you are doing and I will drink the Kool Aid. Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I could say Im taking his seriously in front of a camera than go hop on the Xbox right after, and no one would be the wiser.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I'm just not convinced Armstead and Watson fall in our lap either, and I don't even believe Watson is a LT prospect, he's a guy we'll have to move to the right side in the future anyway. At best he's a Sebastian Vollmer type swing tackle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Man I would really like to see this,

1. Jonathan Cooper OG
    2. Terron Armstead OT
    3. Trevardo Williams OLB
    4. Da'Rick Rodgers WR
    4. Montori Hughes NT
    5. Gerald Hodges ILB
    6. Zac Stacy RB
    7. Mychal Rivera TE

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Where did we get the extra 4th?

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344
    Agreed. It's like I was saying in a previous thread. If the top 3 OT's go in top 10 then I do believe there is going to be a run on second tier OT's through out the first round.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Or in the beginning of the 2nd, we actually have the 14th pick in round 2, MIAMI picks ahead of us...right there tells you we're probably not going to get our pick of the 2.

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I agree, but, and I'm guilty of this word as well, there is no such thing as "draft stock". I've been following NFLosophy on twitter after seeing some of the NFLN guys @ him and also LBC mention him here.

Terron Armstead's "draft stock" or anybody else for that reason never rose. Scouts know what guys are capable and "draft stocks" is created by the media to hype a player up.

So, to me, Terron Armstead is a 2nd rounder. I think a small school guy will have an effect on him and where he goes. Jared Veldheer was one of the most intriguing guys at 2010 NFL draft, but attended a FCS school as well as Armstead, yet fell to the 3rd round, 70+ pick.

Think Armstead is a mid-2nd rounder. If he's gone, I like Jordan Mills or Dallas Thomas as well.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I actually like and prefer Quessenberry if we miss out on the top 3 and Armstead. Quessenberry just needs to add a little weight though to get stronger. But he did a fine job at the SB and played LT his entire college career.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    A trade back in the 3rd, I believe we make a trade back somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rounds to gain an extra pick.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Sure but like I just said we don't pick until 14 in the 2nd round, and there are at lest 5 teams in front of us that could justify taking an OT.

I like Mills as a RT for sure, but he's a clod hopper for a LT. Dallas Thomas is a guard.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I love Quessenberry, solid mid round pick. But, he can't play LOT in the NFL. He can play LOG, C, ROG, and possibly ROT. He can play unbalanced at times, and also has a weak upper body to play LOT.

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    Also Greg Cossell said he's sold on Armstead, Long, Pugh ( even with his short arms )and Quessenberry as day 2 starting LT's. Cossell is probably the most highly respected analyst in football, so I usually take his word over many others.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    One advantage we may have is even if the run on QB's isn't in the first, it will be in the 2nd where there are at least 4-6 bound to go before our pick.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    2m

Former LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery visited Chargers last week, per source. Team has drafted 4 LSU players in past 6 years.

Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken

28m

Travis Long visited Chargers last week, per source. Outside linebacker played in similar scheme at Washington State. Coming off torn ACL.

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344

Let's hope that trend doesn't continue, based on the 4's production level. New regime hopefully means, none of the same habits.

17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    Ed Werder@Edwerderespn
    1h

Manti Te'o visited Lions, Chargers next. Te'o not likely a Lion without a trade down but maybe prepping for him to be Bear or Viking

:eek:

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Should we count The WR AJ drafted while he was in the hospital? Lol, no idea why he did that but yeah, no production from him obviously.

Sent from my GS3

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344
    lol, true. But even if we take him out of the equation, the other three didn't do sh!t. Hester was average at best. Jury is still out on Taylor.

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Hester still wasnt any less productive than McClain. My only issue w/ Hester is AJ wasting picks to trade up in the 3rd to get him when he could of traded nothing and got him in the 4th...maybe even the 5th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344

And I fully agree with is production. I also hated when we traded up to take him. Much like I hated when we traded up to get Mathews. Not that I didn't think the kid had potential just hated giving up what we did to land him.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    The irony of Hester is, when we had him I was thinking man what a terrible pick this was, now that he's gone, he would be ideal for the new system.

AJ drafting that injured kid was right up the with the Sacramento Kings trading for the Carcass of Marquis Daniels

23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344
    I dont watch hockey so I can't even begin to compare the two, whether he was a good fit for this system or not. All I know is he was a horrible fit for Norv's system.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Due diligence. The media will continue to spin him as a 1st round because he's a story, but everyone I talk to who have talked to actual NFL scouts (along with the pundits that actually know what they're talking about like Gil Brandt) have him firmly with a 2nd round grade. If he falls to us in the 2nd then he fits exactly what Telescopo was talking about as an ideal situation "need meeting value". Lions are looking at him as a potential 2nd rounder too, Werder just doesn't want to hurt the ratings of the draft show by saying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344
    I have thought Teo had a second round grade for quite sometime. If he does get taken in the first it will be a reach, and a Tim Tebow type of ticket sales signing. He played against inferior competition his senior year until he was embarrassed in the title game against starting NFL caliber lineman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    If a team is interviewing a player now...they're probably not that sure about him in the first place.

27. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    i saw that we had an interview with teo and i know that means almost nothing but if we took him at 11 i would actually cry... even if we took him in the 2nd i still think i could cry

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    It's a lot of things really. He was equally protected by schedule, scheme, and surrounding talent. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Notre Dame's defense is really good - and is probably going to produce at least 2, possibly 3-4, 1st round picks in 2014. Their scheme also masked quite well that Mant'i doesn't have sideline to sideline speed and that his instincts aren't all that great (they're functional, but if you're going to be a great LB you can get away with average athleticism if you have great instincts, those he doesn't have). In those respects he's very similar to Rolando McClain and, more appropriately, Brandon Spikes. Then in the NC game, the Trojan ran into the BCS' version of an All-Pro team (save for a few select positions like QB) in that just about every starter on that Alabama offense is going to be playing on Sunday's whenever they decide to enter the league. Moreover, it was pretty obvious that one team's coordinators (Bama) did their homework a lot better than the other's (ND) did. Bama was targeting ND's weaknesses - running at Te'o with quicker backs on sweeps or off-tackle as tape has shown he has struggled to tackle quick backs in the open field, and doing whatever they could to keep pounding the ball off-tackle and off-guard to wear down ND's front three, deplete their effectiveness, and as often as possible to prevent them from rotating guys in. Once that, and Kapron Lewis-Moore tore his ACL, their Bama's OL was able to stonewall ND's front 3 and all McCarron had to do was get the ball out quick enough such that the edge-rushers couldn't get to him before he'd made his pass (it's a near identical formula to what the Saints used to beat the Colts in the Brees v. Manning SB).

But yes, for anyone that was actually watching the tape (not fan-made highlight reels on YouTube, but actually tuning in to NBC to watch ND games and keying on Te'o while he was playing), it has been pretty obvious that Mant'i Te'o: The Top 10 prospect was pure hype, largely built up by ESPN because he was the most sell-able story on a team that was on the rise because they were one of the better well-oiled units in the nation (and had the benefit of playing teams that had high reputations but weren't exactly strong in the 2012 season). He was a 2nd round prospect (a high one) with the potential to sneak into the 1st because in spite of his physical shortcomings, he had intangibles that perennial playoff teams tended to covet, though like Brandon Spikes he remained a guy that said playoff teams would much prefer to trade-back from their 1st with a team picking early in the order in the 2nd who was seeking a QB, RB, or falling defender, and they'd still be able to pick the player up at the top of the 2nd round.

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    Quick thought, If all 3 tackles are gone, and Vaccaro is still on the board, Do you see Cooper still being available @18 and do you think Dallas likes KV enough to trade up for him?

30. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Going back to an earlier suggestion, i would trade for Saffold if we could get him for a 4th. Even if we had to throw in a conditional pick in 2014 but may not have to. Absolutely would do that. He is only 25 and resigning him shouldnt be an issue. That would open it up for us to get one of the OG's in a trade down...or not. Just draft them. I dont like any of the OLB's asside from Jordan in the first round.

Flat dont want Jarvis Jones, Mingo or Werner for us. I think Werner is a 4-3 DE i think Mingo is more a 4-3 DE with him being undersized and Jones is undersized as well and not an explosive player. He got a lot of coverage sacks and TFL while not being blocked many times which inflate his stats. Rather have Okafor, Carradine and even Collins in the 3rd. I believe he has some big potentual and has only been playing OLB for 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 1