1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Best......draft thread......EVAH!

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Its amazing how a single sarcastic comment can derail a thread.:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Because nothing furthers conversation like discussing women's body types and which is our preference ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DesertBoltFan

DesertBoltFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4

Ok, cap worries you, fine skip on Long. Drop down to #21 in the draft and trade picks with the Bengals and pick up one of the two second round picks they have.

Now at #21 picking Lane Johnson isn't such a reach, and now you have #37 and #49 in the second round. Pick up the best RB and CB available. In the 3rd round take a pass rusher OLB/DE. 4th round SS, 5,6,7 go OG or OT, DT, WR/KR.

1 #21-- Lane Johnson LOT Okla.
    2 #37 ( Bengals)-- Eddie Lacy RB Ala.
    2 #49-- Logan Ryan CB Rutgers
    3-- Chase Thomas OLB/DE Stanford
    4-- DJ Swearinger SS So. Car.
    5-- David Quessenbery ROT San Jose St.
    6-- Cory Grissom DT So. FLA.
    7-- Arron Mellette WR Elon Univ.

No cap used, and even saved some money dropping down. Lane may be gone because someone always reaches in the drafts but maybe not this year. We'll see.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    RB in the 2nd? lol

Risk our whole draft by trading down instead of just taking one of the 3 high ceiling LTs in this draft? lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Lane Johnson falling to 21 is a pipe dream.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    The problem is, This draft doesn't have an AJ Green, Mario Williams, Patrick Peterson, Andrew Luck. teams aren't going to lose a 2nd to move up for a player that can be had by sitting patiently.

There are a ton of what would be considered good "Blue collar" players in this draft, maybe some will be develop into "studs" but for the most part the level of talent that can be had in the 1st can most likely be had with the 31st if the GM did his home work correctly. For this reason If the Chiefs took Chance Warmack number 1 over all the only thing people would talk about is the fact that he would have been the first guard ever taken that high, not mentioned that he may be the best player to be taken. Im not saying that would happen but what I'm trying to say is 11th or 21st Lane Johnson wouldn't be a reach seeing how most of the talent taken before him or after him would be considered on the same level

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I think after the 1st round, the Chargers will select BPA at their needed positions. In the 2nd, Robert Woods, Justin Hunter could fall to us. Then you have guys like Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Banks. Then you have Dallas Thomas, Tyler Eifert.

9. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Fisher and Lane have been moving up recently due to their Senior Bowl performances and the buzz generated from the same.

I've read that Warmack, though an impressive guard, may not have the speed and athleticism for a ZBS. Doesn't that bother you?

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    take Lane Johnson at #11 (I don't care if it's a reach) or Fisher if somehow he's still available (highly unlikely), worst case Warmack and a second teir tackle in the second

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Its a shame we didn't lose more games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    Here's to hoping WR's start stepping up to impress, DT's and LB's start showing up on Monday.

Luckily guys like Sharriff Floyd are coming in as high 1st round grades lets hope he makes a name for himself,

Other guys I like are Watson and Armstead (in the 2nd if we choose to go Jordan in the 1st)

I want to see some qb's come in tomorrow and really impress and most imprtantly one guy who has fallen off my list is Jarvis Jones just from his interview and pulling out of the combine for what my thinking may be just because his poor work ethic

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I don't think it's poor work ethic, I think it's a calculated move to not want to be contrasted (overshadowed) on national television by the likes of Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, and possibly Barkevious Mingo, all of whom are likely workout warriors. I've suspected for some time (because the tape does support this theory) that Jones' release/burst off the line really isn't as great as his hype would have you believe. He's already got the (possible) stenosis hanging over his head and adding stink to his stock, he can't really afford a lackluster combine because he may well not rebound well. instead, he and his agent are protecting him - making sure that when he does workout it will be on "home field" at Georgia's Pro Day, with (likely) more favorable track, measuring tape, and stopwatches.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Just want to hear some thoughts. If our draft looks like this, will you be happy?

1. Jonathan Cooper OG
    2. Dallas Thomas OT/OG
    2. Justin Hunter WR
    3. Brandon Jenkins OLB
    4. David Quessenberry OG/OT
    5. Mike Gillislee RB
    6. Chris Gragg TE
    7. Bruce Taylor ILB

*EDITED*

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    I see your point. What also bothers me is that KC (may have just) traded for Alex Smith and that Star Lotulelei just dropped out of the first 5 - 10 slot. This could mean that two more teams ahead of us might be thinking OT in the first.

17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    Right now I have

1: OT ( Eric Fisher/Lane Johnson Immediate upgrade on the offensive line, Could play RT this season but over all is our LT of the future)

2: CB (still waiting to see how these kids look tomorrow but so far I have the group being Trufant, Poyer, Taylor, Wreh-Wilson)

3: TE (Gavin Escobar/Travis Kelce I think we needs a star WR but with 6 guys on the roster under contract we most likely wont add a 7th this high. We then go the next best route giving Rivers another Big body to line up with Gates and in later years Green. We also need a guy who can come in a block. I would also welcome the addition to using a 2nd on Eifret just for this reason and using a 3rd on a DB)

4: RB (Stephan Taylor/ Johnathan Franklin/ Mike Gillislee/ Kenjon Barner. we need a guy to come in a compliment Mathews as well as a player who is capable on playing all 3 downs)

5: OG (Earl Watford this kid impressed me during the EW shrine game and continued to impress all the way through the Combine, I truly think we are going to re-sign Vasquez and will try him out at LG, if we bring in a kid through the draft or FA it will most likely be a RG)

6: DL/OLB/ILB (Again the defensive front 7 was the only true bright spot for us last year, we do need depth

7th: D/ST's depth

LAST SEASON
    Rush Offense - 91.3 ypg (27th)
    Pass Offense - 205.9 ypg (24th)
    Total Offense - 297.3 ypg (31st)
    Scoring Offense - 21.9 ppg (20th)
    Rush Defense - 96.4 ypg (6th)
    Pass Defense - 230.1 ypg (18th)
    Total Defense - 326.4 (9th)
    Scoring Defense - 21.9 ppg (16th)
    MOST PRESSING NEEDS

Offense: Offensive line and skill position playmaker (RB, TE and/or WR)
    Defense: Cornerback

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Everything I'm hearing indicates Chargers will concentrate resources on the OL -- at expense of other spots. Gotta do what they gotta do.

The Union-Tribune San Diego reports the Chargers are likely to focus on improving their offensive line at the "expense of other spots."
    Specifically, "everything" reporter Kevin Acee hears "indicates the Chargers will concentrate resources on the OL — at expense of other spots." As Acee puts it, they've "gotta do what they gotta do." A commitment to saving their line should make re-signing free agent LG Louis Vasquez a no-brainer. The UTSD reported last week re-upping Vasquez was the Bolts' "top priority."

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I think when the "sacrifices" are made at other positions that's indicative that one of either WR or CB isn't going to be hit at all in this draft (or if it is not until late on Day 3). As is I think OLB may already have been scrapped with the depth of this class being god awful and there really only looking like (with a +/- buffer of 1-2) there are only 3 guys in this class that strike me as being more than average 3-4 edge-rushers (and only two of them may go in the 1st round and one of those if he sneaks into the bottom).

I'd swap Terron Armstead for Thomas at this point just because he has a higher ceiling and is a more natural LT. And the only way I'm cool with us drafting Cooper in the 1st is if he is looked at as Hardwick's successor (don't know that Molk fits what D'Alessandris/McCoy are looking for out of a center - and the pick investment in him is minimal); play him at guard for a year (a la Eric Wood, Mike Pouncey, and Alex Mack) until Hardwick retires, but his future is seen as the starting center (then he's worth a Top 15 pick).

I also, and this is fully realizing that people want to replace Gates, think folks are going to be sorely disappointed if they're expecting a traditional TE to be drafted. If we do pick one it's going to be a Swiss Army type guy in the mold of a Delanie Walker or Clay Harbor, an H-Back as we aren't likely to be running a traditional FB (neither McCoy or Whiz used one in their previous gigs). I could see Furstenburg out of Maryland being a late round look. SMU's Zach Line is another possibility in that territory.

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Maybe she is between 25 and 30. In anycase who cares. I dont like big asses but many guys do. You seem like the guy who counts his Wifes calories when you see her reaching in the pantry.

I agree with the other guys. Kate isnt fat at all imo. Not everyone cares about a six pack and manly type arms. I sure dont. I dont find the chick in picture #1 sexy at all. And i seriously doubt she is 10-12% . Id guess more like 3-8% . Picture #2 is pushing it. Got those man arms but the rest is nice.

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    We dont have the cap room to sign Jake Long so that wont happen. We are only 6.3 million under the cap without making any moves. Even if they let go of Gaither that is only going to free up $500,000. I dont see us signing many FA's asside from our own. Maybe one and doubt it can be a big name with limited cap space.

Hopefully they can get Rivers and Gates to restructure to get more space.

Also, i think Lewen was a little overrated. I dont think he is better than Fisher and Johnson has big potentual. Only been a OT for one year.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well I wasn't expecting us to sign a free agent or even pursue one at corner. But I guess we'll be looking at Telesco's guys in Jerraud Powers and Darius Butler. So I'll scratch corner off there.

Also I think our need for wide receiver is actually quite high. Malcolm Floyd cannot be trusted, he's missed 2 games or more every year he's been in the league. Honestly, he was AJ's "undrafted gem", and I could see him being a casualty as we will save $1.5M on the cap if we cut him. Vincent Brown has had his injuries the last 2 years, Eddie Royal didn't stay healthy last year, Robert Meachem couldn't grasp the playbook or the football and was nicked up at times as well. Which leaves us with another guy, Danario Alexander, who's had 6 surgeries on one knee in college and in the pros and hasn't stayed healthy through camp.

I'd much rather use that $1.5M we'd save in cutting Floyd and use it to sign Alexander to a 1 year deal. I do not want to 1st round/2nd round tender him and pay him $3M.

And your right about OLB, I don't see any being taken by us. There's a few 4-3 DE's that might fall into the 2nd/3rd but they won't be able to play the 3-4. I actually like Brandon Jenkins as a 4th ounder and say what you want about Michael Buchanan, but with proper coaching, he could be a real good player in a few years.

I think we can trade back and select Jonathan Cooper, and gain a 2nd rounder/3rd rounder. I think he has a lot of pop, great feet, and is tough to beat in pass protection. And again, he has the versatility where we can throw him at center in a few years.

I agree with the H-back selection, it was late when I was typing this up last night and clearly did not think that Ryan Otten selection through. For the H-back position, I like Jake Stoneburner, Chris Gragg and also Jordan Reed, but I don't know if I like him that much to select him in the 3rd. I really hope we use Ladarius Green to play to his strengths this year, if he is indeed ready.

I don't know if I'm ready to take Terron Armstead in the 2nd. 3rd, yes possibly, but I'm not biting on him just yet. I like Dallas Thomas because he had 2 years of starting left tackle under his belt AND played guard his senior year. So if Jared Gaither does decide to play this year, and throughout his contract, which trust me, I'm not holding my breathe on but you never know, and Hardwick retires after 2013, we can shift Thomas to left guard and Cooper to Center.

23. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    I cant see them cutting Floyd. 1.5 mil is nothing for a player that is productive when he is healthy.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    He will save more than that, and the key is when healthy, which is basically never. He always has a lingering hamstring injury.

2013: $1.5M
    2014: $2.75M
    2015: $3.5M

Not to mention he is signed until 2015 season, and he will be 34 entering that season. A stupid contract to a guy who again, has missed 2+ games every season since he's been in the league.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Not to mention he's the only receiver outside of Brown (coming off an injury) and Gates (whose missed as much if not more time for injury as Floyd in the past two seasons) that Rivers has any kind of chemistry with. Throw on that rookie receivers don't often have a ton of success unless they've got elite intangibles, and I just don't see where Rivers' situation is bettered by replacing Floyd with a rookie WR.

Moreover, I look to the type of receiver that Rivers has shown to delivery the most consistency with - height isn't as important as a solid muscular build and a willingness/ability to box out the defender and compete for balls, and past that dependable hands and attention to crisp route-running are really more important attributes. I get the desire among fans to want to have a Calvin Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald, but those guys require Top 5 picks (or extremey close as Julio Jones showed) to acquire and the guys with reasonably similar builds who do fall outside of the Top 10 do so because they tend to lack the traits that would make them a great match with Rivers. To put it in terms of current NFL product - Rivers matches up better with a Hakeem Nicks, Greg Jennings, or Steve Smith type than he does a Kenny Britt or Dwayne Bowe type.

For the moment, unless you can specifically identify an exact trade scenario, I recommend avoiding "wagering on" getting the perfect scenario of being able to trade back, pick up a Day 2 pick, AND being able to still get a top prospect we'd covet (trying to get 2 out of 3 of those would be ambitious under most circumstances, largely because the guys that teams are going to want to trade up for ARE the ones that we'd likely covet... for the same reasons we'd be coveting them).

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    There's no need to jump to hyperbole to try and serve your argument. Unlike Jared Gaither, Floyd's actually shown a willingness to play through injuries. He missed 2 games last season. 1 in 2009. 3 in 2008. If you're averaging it out over the lifetime of his relevant starting time you might have a decent argument, but again, I get the feeling you're not comparing this across the league and just looking for a reason to get rid of the guy (because he's not what you feel a true #1 WR should be). The guy is making slightly above the league minimum for a player of his experience this year and despite your wishful thinking, if Danario Alexander isn't tendered, no $1.5 million one year deal is going to get his signature - if anything offering him that will ensure his agent gives us the cold shoulder and has him sign anywhere he can get him a higher offer without giving us the opportunity to counter. Laurent Robinson had a similar career of forever-injured then had one season of coming in reserve for an injured/ineffective player in Dallas and landed himself a pretty hardy payday in Jacksonville. Hakeem Nicks has averaged missing 2+ games per season for the Giants due to injury, I suppose they should look at releasing him for that reason, right? Greg Jennings hasn't played a close to a full season the past two years, but weren't you among those advocating giving him $7 million per year to come here? over the same relevant period as Floyd (i.e. since 2007), Andre Johnson has missed an average of as many or more games per year due to injury as Floyd has and he has a massive cap-hit; I suppose the Texans should be cutting him loose too, right?

See, I can play in hyperbole too. ;)

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I believe there are plenty of WR's we can select in this draft on Day 2, who resemble what you were saying.

Marcus Wheaton, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Justin Hunter, Stedman Bailey, and DeAndre Hopkins. Like them all, strong kids, all are very physical and have great hands, except for Rogers and Hunter, who have had their drops.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I wouldn't even put Nicks, Jennings, or Johnson in the same sentence as Floyd. The talent those guys bring you every Sunday against top CB's year in year out, they can afford to miss a game or two.

http://www.nfl.com/player/malcomfloyd/2505785/profile

I see something different there. Now I know, you don't have to start a game to play in it.

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    The guy I would want is Robert Woods but I don't believe we target a WR anywhere in the top 4 or 5 rounds only because as of now we have 7 WR's under contract

Floyd, Brown, Alexander (RFA most likely coming back), Meachem, Royal

I expect Brown to get a starting spot opposite Floyd/Alexander (we may even see a tandem, could help prolong their seasons) with Royal in the mix. The odd man out who happens to be the highest paid WR is Meachem which I would like to see either earn his money or GTFO in 2014 when his guaranteed money is no more.

I know its too early to predict how this will look and that they're all completely different WR's but I would like to see

Floyd/DX (that Demaryius Thomas "Big Play" reciever who can hurt you onone throw)
    Brown (The Eric Decker type, YAC guy who gets you those tough yards)
    Royal (That shifty little Stokley type guy who you can count on getting you that 3rd down)

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I don't want to see us spending any draft picks on WR unless its an absolute can't say no type steal.

We're going to be 5 deep with capable WRs this year, we'll see if Alexander is a true #1, and we'll hopefully finally get to see what Vincent Brown can do...never mind Floyd, Meachem and Royal all of whom will be more productive when we get the O-line fixed.