1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    1st Eric Fisher/ Lane Johnson OT:
    If Fisher or Johnson are there and they go a different route Lucy has some splainin' to do

2nd Tyler Eifert/ Zach Ertz TE:
    taking one of these kids kills 2 birds with one stone we get a TE who can block, Rivers gets another red zone target. I'm high on Green, I hope he can become a major weapon his year but truth be told to say a guy who has shown minimal success in the NFL is our TE of the future is just like saying we're ok at guard because we have Johnnie Trouttman coming back:tup:

3rd Alvin Bailey OG
    if we do move to a type of zone blocking a guy like Bailey is ideal, other option would be Watford

4th Darius Slay/ Jamar Taylor/ Blidi Wreh Wilson/ Leon Mcfadden DB
    I believe they bring in a vet, I also think bringing in a kid from the draft not only provides depth but it also adds competition

5th Jawan Jamison/ Christine Michael/ RB
    The Chargers need to bring in a guy who can compliment Mathews in the backfield

6th BPA Terry Hawthorne CB, Marcus Davis WR Some OT who fell due to injury
    ILB,OLB,DT

7th BPA

Basically we would cover

OT,TE,OG,DB,RB, hopefully getting a OLB like Michael Buchanan who can be a 3rd down rusher

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think it does, I was responding only to the playoff statement.

The Chargers need a new O-line. They don't really need new receivers.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Well... I look at it this way. At some point we are going to need a, or multiple, new receivers. However, that is an endeavor better set for when the OL is solidified, we can determine whether or not our QB's issues were solely due to the astronomical amount of pass-pressure he faced (because if not and it's him that's the problem then no amount of receivers are going to bail him out), and then do what a number of successful teams have done - sit back in the 20's (already having a playoff team... or damn close) and have the luxury of using a Day 2 pick as ammo to trade up in the 1st to target a true #1 with a high deal of upside or just sit tight and collect the guys who are "quality football player type" WR's who simply fall to the lower part of the 1st/early 2nd because they didn't run 4.4 or below in the 40, but the tape shows them capably gaining separation.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Alexander is what he is, and Floyd isn't really a number 1, but unless you're talking about acquiring a guy like AJ Green, there are plenty of guys out there with reliable hands who can get decent separation if the QB has more than 1/2 a second to throw the ball. I'd rather have a NE style offense built around slot-type receivers and TEs than an ATL type offense.

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    That alone is a great topic IMHO.
    When I think about PR's past successes with VJ, Gates, and Floyd I think of tall, muscular, long-striding receivers who can box out defenders and fight for tall balls thrown about 10 to 20 yards deep. It's almost like PR needs that type. Watching PR makes me wonder whether he has the pinpoint accuracy and timing to make good use of smaller, faster, and quicker receivers. Could he even do much with a Wes Welker?

6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +115
    I personally think that chance will solidify the line.he will fill the void left by deilman.
    Kyle long does grade better at guard but he can.play right tackle n put clary out of a job.
    And as far as gaither goes, i think well sogn a free agent and gaither will have to fight to stary

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    The impact of the Alex Smith trade its becoming more clear that the Cheifs will take Luke Joeckel

Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, There is rumors floating around that KC loves Joeckel. Although they have FA Branden Albert who may or may not come back (apparently is asking for too much money as well as back issues) Safe meets need meets BPA. After the Combine, Eric Fisher appeared to be the better of the two but Joeckel having the SEC on his side gets the advantage.

Jaguars: Bjoern Werner, Jags needs a pass rusher, new HC Gus Bradley wasn't shy about saying their pass rush last year was "Sorry". One thing I noticed in my time in Jacksonville is that the people love their Seminoles, so why not give them something to cheer about next season.

Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, Oakland is a mess all across the defensive line, Richard Seymour and Reggie Kelly aren't going to be back next season, I was tempted to say Geno Smith will be a raider but Floyd makes more sense here.

Eagles: Dion Jordan, New HC, new scheme, why not bring in an old player who knows what you're trying to do on defense. This is probably the only defensive player I would want if we chose to go that route instead of taking a LT.

Lions: Dee Milliner, Detroit needs help in the secondary, They could add more help on the D line but I still see them taking the "best CB" in the draft

Browns: Barkevious Mingo, The Browns need some help in the 3-4 transition, I was tempted to put Ansah here but felt Mingo would suit the 3-4 better

Cardinals: Eric Fisher, I feel they team may sit back and see what they have in Kolb with more protection to determine where they're at. They beginning of last year Kolb actually did alright, it was when he got hurt the Cards started their downward spiral.

Bills: Geno Smith, Nix said they're taking a QB and Smith is their guy.

Jets: Ziggy Ansah, I can see it now Rex will make it seem like they one the Superbowl taking Ansah, even if he doesn't necessarily fit their scheme, he'll force it to happen.

Titans: Chance Warmack, If anyone appreciates and understands the guard position its Munchack. He understands CJ needs better blocking up front to help the run game. Chance is their guy

Chargers: Lane Johnson, If this isnt the pick I think I'll S#$t a brick.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    My new top 10 mock...

Chiefs - Luke Joeckel
    Jaguars - Bjorne Werner
    Raiders - Dion Jordan
    Eagles - Dee Milliner
    Lions - Jarvis Jones
    Browns - Star Lotulelei
    Cardinals - Geno Smith: Are you kidding, they are salivating over him falling to them!
    Bills - Barkevious Mingo
    Jets - Ziggy Ansah - A Rex type player.
    Titans - Chance Warmack

Chargers - Eric Fisher: Do not pass go, do not collect $200, draft this man!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    Very similar opinions on the top 10

I had an issue with a couple of mine, 1 I didn't know what to do with Star I wanted to put him in Cleveland as well but with Phil Taylor there and them having a couple of good young DE's I had a hard time with that.

We both agreed on the Bjoern to Jax pick, and Ansah to the Jets is all bu written if he's there. Biggest issue with mine was AZ. I do believe they go QB but I also believe they'd go Barkley in which I see a trade back with Carolina where they move up to take Star.

I also think if Buffalo doesn't go QB they'll surely go WR

Im at the point where I wouldn't be upset if the Chargers move up just to get Fisher, but just the thought of losing a pick hurts.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I'd heard the Jags fans were far more comprised of Gator fans than Noles fans. That said, if we're giving Gus Bradley the credit for running the numbers and following metrics (which the Hawks selecting Bruce Irvin as a "surprise" 1st rounder last season would lead me to believe), Mingo is the better fit as a LEO in his defense than Werner is. His LEO doesn't worry about the run (he's got three linebackers and often times an in the box safety to worry about that). For Jacksonville it's one of two players at #2 as I see it: Star (whose "heart condition" looks like it was more a case of a sodium imbalance - identical to what happened to Frank Alexander at the combine last year) or Mingo (he played in a LEO role at LSU, metrically he's a sound fit albeit one that's a bit lacking in ideal "twitch", but he compared favorably to Kamerion Wimbley with a bit more ceiling which is a good fit as a LEO in Bradley's scheme).

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Well... personally I'd rather be the happy medium or the ones to install the next offense that others are trying to reproduce - but that's kind of splitting hairs.

I'd say I'd be perfectly content with a Patriots-styled offense, and believe me, I'm not advocating going to great pains to trading up for a Julio Jones type (honestly, in Rivers' case I think that type of receiver is detrimental to his play because he becomes too dependent on said player as he was becoming with both V-Jax and Gates at different points). Less important that getting a guy who can go deep and box guys out, Philip's confidence and swagger has always been improved when we had guys who were capable of producing quality YAC results (Sproles, LT, Chambers in his first year, Gates in his prime, it was what Crayton was actually good at in the season we traded for him).

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750

From what I saw it was a mixture of both, I was over there for about a week, saw many more FSU banners/ stickers on cars etc. than Gators, as well as my buddy and his whole family (aunts uncles etc.) were all F state fans.

13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    This is why I really like Justin Hunter as a 2nd/3rd rounder. At 6'4 he has a 39.5 inch vertical, runs a solid 4.4, instant vertical threat on the outside, but at Tennessee he lined up at every position -- outside, in the slot, so he had versatility. Has soft hands and great moves at the line of scrimmage. Only thing we have to work on with him is his hands, he'll drop a pass occasionally.

I also like Terrance Williams and Da'Rick Rogers.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I'm going to do a quick mock, pre-pro days.

1. Lane Johnson OT
    2. Alex Okafor OLB
    3. Justin Hunter WR
    4. Alvin Bailey OG
    5. Jawan Jamison RB
    6. Chris Gragg H/B -- TE
    7. Vinston Painter OT/OG

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I'll be honest, I loathe Justin Hunter as a prospect because I feel like his base physical attributes are going to get him overdrafted when if you look at how they break down, they're really not as great as people want to make him out to be. You're vastly understating things with "he'll drop a pass occasionally" - the guy gets alligator arms going over the middle more times than not and has pretty sketchy hand-eye coordination to begin with (only looks the ball into his hands about half the time - which is sad). And yet this is the guy that is the first to get pissy when his QB leads him too much or throws an inaccurate ball.

And he's really not all that great of a fit for the Pats' YAC-based offense because he doesn't have much in his arsenal to get YAC other than his straight-line speed. There's very limited ankle flexibility. He doesn't have the strength (and his frame doesn't look like it's going to take a whole heck of a lot more bulk to it) to shed/break tackles well. And the guy really doesn't compete terribly hard or outmuscle DB's on jump balls - or rather, he did against the weaker, less talented defenses of Troy, Akron, and Mizzou, but against SEC competition he just turtled up and let them go at him prison-style. And yet, with those measurables and at 4.4 speed, there will be teams and coaches that will be convinced they can teach him to have more consistent hands and draft him in the 2nd (which is about 2-3 rounds higher than I'd touch him).

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Seems like Braylon Edwards a little too much for me. I might give him a glance in the 3rd, but I would shocked if we passed on a bigger need for him.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Hey, can't be too picky once you get to the middle rounds of the draft. I just like his frame, speed, and incredible leaping ability to go with his height. I think he could really stretch the field, and be that over the top guy for us. You just have to have a good coaching staff around this kid. And I really wish Charlie Joiner was around, cause he would mold this kid. There are a few other wideout's I like in the 3rd and 4th rounds as well.

I just feel like, where do we go when Danrio Alexander has another knee problem, Malcolm Floyd has another injury issue, and Eddie Royal is allergic to the practice field, and Robert Meachem has his injury battles too. Remember the KC Thursday night game, we had 3 or 4 wideouts active, and 2 were signed off the street that week.

I think we have some vet guys who could really lead these diva guys and some of these other troubled-off the field players.

What do you think about Jawan Jamison? Watching some of his tape, if he could add some lower body strength, I see a Ray Rice clone.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I know its a highlight compilation, but man, this kid gets after it.

He just doesn't go down. Has some crazy moves.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I have a massive man-crush on JJ. But even with his poor 40 (he'll likely run better at his pro day anyway), he's not getting to the 5th like you have projected in your mock. If he makes it to, much less out of, the 3rd I'll be surprised.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Really? Hmm.. There's still sites of him projected as a 4th-5th round pick, and the 12th best in his draft class. But I can definitely see why teams will love the dude. If he adds a little more bulk, 8-10 pounds to his lower body, he's another Ray Rice easy, maybe even better.

But, yeah, I watched that highlight clip and immediately fell in love with the guy. I've never seen a spin move as smooth as that one he pulled against USF to win the game.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Sites are sites - as much as people like to think they're gospel truth, the guys I've talked to who are former front office personnel with experience in the league, the general consensus is that it's difficult to place a true round value on more than about 1 or 2 backs in this draft because it's largely going to be about who fits what teams scheme and who falls in love with who. Unless he turns out another 4.6s 40 at his pro day (not likely), Jamison's likely going to have several teams valuing him around the 3rd or 4th. Ray Graham is likely to slip a bit lower, but who I think the upside of is getting terribly underrated by a lot of folks.

22. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Jamison had the worst 10 yard split of all the RB's at the combine. Being 5'7", he has to have something extra going for him and he is no Darren Sproles. Also had a bad vert but he wont be jumping much. Just shows his explosion isnt that great because his BJ wasnt that good either. I can easily see him in the 5th round. Maybe even the 6th.
    IMO he has no chance of going in the 3rd and little in the 4th. If he runs a 4.6 at his proday, that is an improvevment. He ran a 4.68 at the combine.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Okay, he had a bad 10 yard split because of his bad 40 time. I don't see him running a 4.68 again at his pro-day, it will probably be a sub 4.5.

Ray Rice - Bench Press: 23 reps (225), Vertical Leap: 31.5, Broad Jump: 119 inches, 40 yard dash: 4.42
    Jawan Jamison - Bench Press: 20 reps (225), Vertical Leap: 29.0, Broad Jump: 110 inches, 40 yard dash: 4.68

He's not far off at all, and Ray Rice had an extra year on him at Rutgers.

24. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    What does an extra year have to do with anything? Would he be taller or faster? And Rice's numbers are better. Nine inches better in the BJ is a lot which shows explosion and Rice's 10 yard split was 1.47 to Jamisons 1.68. Big difference there and that was at the combine, not at Rice's proday.
    Jamison wasnt the slowest in the 40. There were 6 or 7 that had worse 40 times(one of them had the same time) but all of them had better 10 yard splits.

Im not saying he stinks by any means and he makes people miss but yeah i think he will be a lower round pick imo combined with his lack of speed and lack of size. At his size you better be fast and quick and he isnt. His career college YPC ave is only 4.1

For us id much rather draft Frankin or Ellington and using a higher pick for them but not too high. 3rd ,maybe 4th if we are real lucky.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    An extra year at Rutgers = more experience, more time to put on weight? Jamison shockingly declared early. And Rice got an extra year with Schiano. Who coached up an excess of Rutger players into the NFL.

Who said anything about Rice's pro-day? And Darren Sproles ran a 4.47, and also a 105 inch broad jump, do you think Ray Rice is faster than Darren Sproles? L-O-L.

Don't put too much emphasis on the combine, look at the kids play.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398

LOL, how much extra weight do you think a 5'7' RB would put on? Not like he was 175 lbs. Dude is near 200. And i never compared Rice to Sproles at all so i dont know what your talking about. However, Rice is much more explosive than Jamison and thats what the combine numbers show and why they do certain drills and im not really talking about the 40 times as i am everything else.
    If his 10 yard time was real good while still running a 4.68, that would be different.

I mention Rice did it at the combine because it was on the same field and same electronic timed system on the same surface being indoors with no wind factor.
    Hey if you like him thats great. Im not critisizing him and saying he cant play at all.
    Im saying he will be IMO a 5th or 6th round pick just like you say you like him in the 5th. For us however i hope we draft a better RB earlier than that who is quicker and has more speed.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,592
    If I'm going running back later i would look at bell or Franklin. Think both could be great starters

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Ray Rice was 199 at the combine. He now weighs 212. There's a 13 pound gain my friend. Jamison could do the same in an NFL strength & conditioning program.

I made the comparison of Rice to Sproles because your making a comparison to Jamison's speed/explosiveness to Rice's strictly off combine results, which isn't a smart thing to do, because not everyone performs well at the combine, atleast wait until his pro-day.

I'd hope you'd think Sproles is faster than Rice, but the combine results don't indicate that, do they?

I had him in the 5th, but I'm willing to spend a 3rd on him, because he's got a real high ceiling, and could (not will) be better than Ray Rice.

29. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Yeah but you said Rice had one year longer in Jamison in college and Rice has been in the NFL for 5 years. Jamison is 1" shorter and already kinda slow at his current weight. He doesnt need to get bigger, he needs to get quicker.

Sure it is. They ran on the same surface under the same conditions. We can wait till his proday and if he runs a 4.6 thats better but i still care more about his 10 yard and agility times. He could have a better vert. Rice did by 7" somehow.
    Im not real big on straight line speed and in that video you showed, Jamison got ran down many times but thats ok. Quickness to get in open space is more important and why i brought up that he had the worst 10 yard time of all the RB's there. You need to explode thru the hole because they can close quick.

I knew Sproles wasnt as fast as Rice but Sproles is quick and makes people miss and has good field vision. Sproles is also faster and quicker than Jamison.

If i were to pick a RB in the 3rd round, it sure wouldnt be him. Id be looking to guys like Andre Ellington, Johnathan Franklin, or Giovani Bernard if he falls there but i doubt it. Are you saying you like Jamison over those guys? Because if you are, then wow. There are many RB's id pick over Jamison unless we are in the 5th-6th round. And even then id take Barner (who imo is a 4th or 5th) over him and Lattimore who could be there in the 5th with his injury.

So, you said you thought he was a 5th rounder but would reach for him in the 3rd and no way id do that because there are imo many better RB's in this draft.
    OK, we disagree on this.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    We do,

If were selecting a RB as high as the 3rd, Franklin, Ellington, and definitely Bernard won't be there. I'd be looking at guys like Montee Ball, Stephan Taylor, Le'Veon Bell, and Jawan Jamison.

Lattimore had knee problems. He will be identical to Willis McGahee. We don't need another injure-prone back. And Barner won't be much but a screen guy and specials teamer, and the Senior Bowl showed it, relied way too heavily on the Oregon blocking techniques, and for a guy of his athleticism should take on defenders more, but doesn't and can't do much after contact.