1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mohawk-wearing Merriman healing, not worried about his Chargers future

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 1, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    SAN DIEGO -- Shawne Merriman stood out Friday, even though he was held out of team drills in the San Diego Chargers' first minicamp practice.

First, there's his mohawk, which he said he got just for the heck of it. Then there's the ever-present speculation that 2009 could be the final season the star outside linebacker spends in San Diego.

Merriman just wants to play football, although he's not quite ready yet. He's still rehabilitating after having season-ending knee surgery following the opening game last year.

Shawne Merriman dismisses all of the rumors about where he will end up after this season when he becomes a free agent.

"I want to go out there, and I want to fly around and try and take somebody's head off," Merriman said. "That's the only thing that's important to me right now. I don't care about anything else. I want to go out there, and I want to prove that this is what I love to do and this is why I do it. Instead of talking about it so much, I'd rather get that helmet and shoulder pads on me."

Merriman spent time Friday working on a side field with left tackle Marcus McNeill and nose tackle Jamal Williams, who also are coming off surgery.

While saying his knee feels great, Merriman won't say what percentage he's at right now. But he does anticipate being ready for the season.

"If I told you what I felt like for that Carolina game last year, it would be ridiculous," he said. Merriman played in a season-opening loss to the Panthers, then decided to have surgery on two torn ligaments in his left knee.

"Just say I feel a lot better than that for sure, right now," said Merriman, who's nicknamed "Lights Out" for his hard hits.

Merriman's contract expires after the 2009 season, and there already has been talk that he'll receive big free-agent money elsewhere, perhaps from the Washington Redskins. Merriman grew up near Washington and played at Maryland. Or maybe the Chargers will make him their franchise player in 2010 and pay him a huge salary for one season.

Merriman has heard all the scenarios and laughs about the one involving the Redskins.

"All that stuff to me is garbage," he said. "Whatever happens is going to happen. If that's the case, I'm going to make the best of it, period."

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith reportedly doesn't like Merriman's extracurricular activities. Merriman has various business ventures, and while on the injured reserve list last year, he flew back and forth to Los Angeles once a week to appear on a football preview show.

Smith didn't return a call seeking comment on Merriman.

The GM added to speculation about Merriman's future by picking Larry English in the first round of last weekend's draft. English was a defensive end at Northern Illinois, but the Chargers plan to put him at outside linebacker.
    Minicamp schedules
    Need further proof that the quest to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy is a year-round duty? Take a look at all 32 teams' busy offseason schedules. More ...

Merriman said he understands any concerns the Chargers' front office might have, although he said no one from the executive suite has ever spoken to him about them. And he said he knows the difference between his day job and his other pursuits.

"I think I'd be concerned with anybody who likes to do other things outside of football. But that's something I like to do. This is what I love to do," Merriman said, motioning to the field. "As long as I'm proving this is what I love to do, I think everything will be put to rest."

Merriman had 39.5 sacks in his first three seasons and went to the Pro Bowl all three years. The Chargers clearly lost their defensive spark when he went out with the injury.

One week after outlasting the Indianapolis Colts in an overtime playoff victory, the Chargers, who won the mild AFC West at 8-8, were exposed by the more physical Pittsburgh Steelers in the divisional round.

"I think there were times when we ran out of gas," Merriman said about that game. "Toward the end of the game, they (the Steelers) kept pounding us. That doesn't have to be said by me. You can watch the film on that. It was embarrassing to me."

And Merriman said he couldn't be happier playing in San Diego.

"What I can control is going out there and returning to the form that I'm used to, going out there playing and performing," he said. "In this case, man, I almost kind of wish that everybody would stop talking about it because there's nothing I can do. If they ask me a question, it'll be the same answer from now until whenever that time comes."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8101b0bb&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Merriman's a good character. Everyone besides us fans dislikes his attitude and his insistence on being noticed but really, that is just who he is, and it fuels his desire to play to his full potential. So Shawne, they call it arrogance; we call it passion. Here's to dominating 2009 season.

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I don't care what people call it, as long as "it" is smashing QBs in a Chargers jersey.

5. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I don't mind all of the trash talking if it is backed up on the field. Shawne says he's tired of talking about it and ready to get on with it...well I am too.

You know it had to kill him to sit out last season, this guy is gonna be a MONSTER this year!

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I don't think it killed him at all.

In fact, Merriman played us all for fools.

Trade him.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Trade Trumpy :icon_tease:

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    20 sacks for Shawne this season :yes:

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Link-----Merriman on Sunday Conversation

Sounds like bye bye Merriman to me. Everyone knows how much AJ hates players who spend a lot of time talking to the media, and Shawne doesn't sound like the kind of player who's going to take a paycut to stay in town. I wouldn't expect him to, but we'll have to wait and see what AJ does.

All in all, I've been very disappointed in what Ed and AJ have done in regards to contract negotiations this offseason. Restructuring LT's contract was made to seem like some huge thing that was necessary in order to resign our other players, and yet I haven't seen anyone elses contract extended? Merriman, Mcneill, Rivers, Jackson, and Chambers, among others, are close to the end of their tenure with the team.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    In regard to AJ,

I'm more concerned about the way he lets players go without compensation(See Brees and MT), while the New Englands of the league get multiple high round picks year after year (see Cassel and Deion Branch).

:tdown: