1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MONDAY MORNING QB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/25/mmqb/index.html

Good write up and I agree. Too much negativity from the fans who should support the players and organization. The arm chair GMs who would not know a rugby play from a half back trap but want us to think they can tell what the coach is thinking because... well they dont give a reason for their rants, do they?

It is too early to be firing anyone, and too early to tell if the season is done or not.

I will hold off on that call until after the next Denver game.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Peter's fine fifteen

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'll give them every opportunity to shine.

But, when I see (what I consider) poor judgment by the coaches and/or lack of spirit by the players,

I'm gonna biotch about it!!!

:flag:

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You can, and I will call you a whiner if that is what it appears to be you are doing.

Fact, Norv and the Chargers have made the playoffs every year he has been here. We had the same record (2-3) when we made the AFCC game.

I have seen people complain about players 'they' thought were playing well being benched, and people make crap up to explain why this coach or that coach should be fired. Yet the D played more as a unit this past week than when the 'good' players were in there. Part of it is the Chiefs, part of it is the Coaches have to put plyers in who will play the system. Could that be what happened?

It seems like Ron knew what he was doing, Norv has made it to the playoffs the same amount as Marty ever did, but won more games. If he can help the team make the playoffs again, to get into the tournament, that is doing his job. To be frank, doing it well to a point.

So maybe, just maybe people should rev back the angst on judging the team to lack spirit, or bad coaching judgement (self included)... Because so far, it just makes us all look like fools that cant handle the emotions of following an NFL team.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    QF f'in WORD T

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Extension please! :tup:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the fact is that Norv is still on the hot seat and there are questions re: LT, Merriman, etc. Those remain issues and legitimate ones at that.

But these issues are more likely to be addressed, as was mentioned, at the end of the year. So we wait and relax and see what happens

Oh, and long term sign Vincent Jackson. ASAP!

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It was a good win and something to build on. If we regress and start playing poorly again the doo-doo will hit the fan.

we still had some break downs but overall looked much better. I know folks are saying "it was the Chiefs" but it was still a convincing win.:tup: :icon_toast:

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    We should not wait until the end of the year to sign VJ. His value will be much higher. The question is does VJ want an extension? Maybe he wants a change of scenery. :icon_shrug:

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think we will find that Norv is on the hot seat outside of Chargers park only. I mean do some of you not remember how many years we suffered through the Mike Riley tenure? We dont drop Coaches quickly. Basically Norv siad it right there, the fans are negative. It is outside the building.

Merriman, LT, whomever else you choose to throw out there, it is done. The trade deadline is passed. You may have issues, and you can scream and rant about it on the podcast if you choose to, but what does it acomplish? You cant trade them. You going to cut them now? Pick up what ever is left out there unemployed? What are you going to do? B!tch and moan all season long? What does that show? What do you want to acomplish?

There is more positives on this team than negatives. The one BAD game we played was in Pittsburgh. More of those and we have something to look to the future about. Until then, we just look like a collective bunch of fools with all the 'Fire Norv', 'Fire Ron', 'Fire merriman' threads that polute the site

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I hope not, he played in Colorado... What team is there?

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You are supposed to line up and beat the team in front of you. They did that.

They also took the opportunity (being well ahead in the game) to give the makeshift line, and Vasquez in particular multiple chances and much needed experince run blocking. Vasquez in college mainly pass blocked, so he needs the experience.

Each game is a building block, they appear to be getting it tuned up. Lets see how the D does against the Raiders run game.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Riley was 99-01, three years. Bout the same amount as Norv. And look i'm not going all B4L but while its definitely accurate to say that Norv did what he was supposed to do and the "Fire NOrv!!!!11!!" crap should be tamed down, let's not go hard the other direction claiming that Norv is now safe and there's no issues regarding him.

While we'd be fools to be a site all about firing Norv, Ron, Merriman, etc, it doesn't change the fact that alot of fans still have serious questions and I question if the front office does too.

Also as a note, the Chargers DO have a history of changing coaches quickly. There's only four coaches that have lasted four years or more in our history (Gillman, Coryell, Ross (exactly 4) and Schottenheimer). Everyone else is less then four years, including Riley.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: Even Peter King is experiencing the Norv Turner MindF.uck

I feel like Tommy Boy right now.

:lol:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who is talking swinging the other way? Who is saying Norv is safe? I am saying he is at the same point he has been the past two years. The same year the team has gotten to the playoffs and once to the AFCC game... It is too early to kill anything.

I hav seen you talk a lot about firing Ron Rivera, and told you that you are knee jerking something feirce. I maintain that. Is that saying Ron is not going to be fired? No, I just think you are jumping the gun with a pole volting stick.

B4L and Nomorenrov are fools, and I discount anything they post. But others here are shaking their fists about every little thing.

POINT IS: We are at the same point we have been the past two years, years that we have made the playoffs. A bit of decorum, thought and patience is needed here in my honest opinion.

If people are complaining right now, it is because they had unrealistic expectations. A lot of people post here 'Shut up and play' or 'Dont let the players read the press clippings'.

That is all well and good, but my question is, did the fans read the clippings? Did anyone really expect a perfect season?

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Well, now I'm not sure name calling would be appropriate.

:icon_shrug:

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

well said.

:tup:

18. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I love the Chargers but let's be realistic here- this was a game against the second worst team in the league. I really didn't see much difference in the team's play. If it would have been against a winning team the board this morning might be saying something completely different. Wait until we play another winning team and then see what progress has been made.

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    cry baby

:icon_tease:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    YEP

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Of course the fans read the clippings. It's what fans do. Some of us read those clippings and were concerned. Hence the mantra: "Shut up and Play". Some read them and took it to mean instant AFC West Championship.

I didn't expect a perfect season, that's for sure. What I did expect is that these guys might have learned their lessons from year's past about talking and not backing it up.

Apparently they didn't learn that lesson, because the same ones are still talking and not backing it up.

We also expect the coaches to back up their credentials and put these players in a position to succeed.

None of this is unrealistic. Or is it?

See... this is the NORV TURNER MINDF.UCK. :lol:

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    We beat the crap out of a crappy team. I'd like for once this season to enjoy the positives and not act like it's the end of the world in San Diego. I'm pretty sure that's all that Conc is saying.

It has been REAL negative since week 1 so for those of us who prefer to live in Beliverville this week finally feels like an opportunity to stop being on the defensive and get back to the business of being a fan of the Chargers.

I wouldn't say all of our issues are fixed and we're gonna roll undefeated to a Lombardi (that would be a dream come true) but we're making consistent progress, improving and getting our bearings after some pretty hefty injuries and most of all - this team hasn't quit. We're not the Titans, a team who underperformed and just rolled over and died. The season and the playoffs are still out there for the taking and there's nothing wrong with wanting to succeed and believing that you can.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't disagree, its been a long time since we had a nice relaxing laugher, so I'm not complaining about a win.

I'm just saying let's not lose sight of the fact we just beat a bad team and have another bad team (although one that beat the tar out of us opening week) this week. Just go about handling your business.

24. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Fo shiz my niz~

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Yes we did take it to the team lined up in front of us. They're not the Donks or the Stillers though, and the last two games is why folks were fired up.

You never know how much good our guy's will take from this victory. Three out of the five on our O-line actually were able to have some fun. Now take what they learned and keep growing.

Is was a solid win to build off of, heck LT looked very good and except for the goal line attempts that went no where they have reason to feel good.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly. AJ has got to do the right thing and give VJ the extension NOW. He's more than proved himself to us. Then we can work on the other FAs like McNeil, Merriman, Sproles, etc.

27. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

Conc...I'm not sure if you are aware but the Chargers beat the Chiefs.

Let's wait 'till they beat a team with a winning record before we start letting norv and the rest of the team off the hook.

Beating Oakland, Miami and KC means very little really.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Really? Means little? Maybe in your book. Chiefs went down to the wire on the Cowboys, Miami has played some tough games and accounted well for themselves.

Maybe you discount teams, to me that seems arrogant. I am hoping the Chargers do not have such a foolish idea of what means little...

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

well, why don't he just say that!!! :icon_tease:

30. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    They are supposed to beat the bad teams. It might sound arrogant but that's what GOOD teams are supposed to do. Good teams are also supposed to beat other good teams. Not all the time, but at least 1 out of 3 good teams.

Now, if you think that the Chargers are not a good team then you and I can agree.

Chargers need to prove they can hang with the big boys before they can be considered anything other than a .500 club. Which they are.