1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mooch to Coach Again?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Steve Mariucci Open to Coaching Again, Won't Move Away From Bay Area

Posted Jun 29th 2008 5:26PM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: 49ers, Lions, NFL Coaching, Detroit, San Francisco

[​IMG]

I think Steve Mariucci is a very good coach, one who deserves another chance at running an NFL team. He was successful with the 49ers, and although he was unsuccessful with the Lions, let's face it: Vince Lombardi couldn't win with the collection of stiffs Matt Millen has assembled in Detroit.

So I was glad to see that Mariucci hasn't shut the door on returning to coaching, even though the possibility may be remote:
    "The right situation may never present itself again," Mariucci said, "because we've decided as a family not to move anymore. We are back in northern California in our home and we settled back in. I've moved my wife 18 times, and I don't want to move again, nor does she. Our home base is going to be in the Bay Area. It's that simple.
    "For me to coach again, it either has to be on the West Coast or I would have to commute."
    I'm not even sure what "commute" would mean for an NFL coach. Coaches hardly see their families even when they live in the same city. So if Mariucci is serious about not uprooting his family and doesn't want to be apart from them, his options are basically a return to Cal or the 49ers, or the Raiders, or Stanford. I hope one of those options presents itself.

LINK

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    If it is only the Bay Area.

Mooch to the Raiders. That is the only opening HC job in the next year. Kiffin will be gone if they repeat last seasons performance but does he need to get to .500 to save his job? :icon_shrug:

I think the 9ers brass likes Nolan, but he has about 2 more years to prove something. He needs a trip to the playoffs in that time span to stick around. The question is whether or not the 9ers would let Mooch coach there again.

3. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Is there some compelling reason they wouldn't? :icon_shrug:

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Mooch + Al Davis is a match made in Bizarro World. No way he coaches the Raiders while that old coot still holds the power. I could see him making a play for the Seattle job when Holmgren leaves at the end of the season. I know Mora has a deal to take over, but I could see that thing crumbling if the 'Hawks to not do well. Especially if UW comes knockin' on his door after project Willingham runs its course. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    He was fired. :icon_shrug: Then again Donahue(GM) who he got into a power struggle with is not their either.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I know, wouldn't that be fun to watch melt down? :lol:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What difference does it make? Davis will have a meltdown with virtually anyone who takes the Oakland job. The most fun would be if Davis wants discipline and hires someone like Marty Schottenheimer. That would be fun to watch. I don't know why, exactly, but when the thought of Kiffin's replacement first occurred to me, Kevin Gilbride's name went flitting through my head. Wouldn't be beyond Davis and I would be so happy for the Raiduhs.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    yeah because after Marty had a perfectly tuned Lamborghini here in SD he'll go work with a ****ing broken down pinto in Oakland, that makes perfect sense.

As for Mooch, I'm not that impressed with him but if oakland's stupid enough to fire kiffin and hire mooch, just book the tv series on ESPN and lets have fun

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Mooch won't coach the Raiders. Alibi Al hates the West Coast offense, and won't ever go back to it.

10. ThankGodfortheChargers

ThankGodfortheChargers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Ohhh yes it would.... it would indeed...

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    He would coach an Arena League team before he would put up with Evil Al...

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Based on the past three years I've seen, Al hates offence al together.....:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Al hates Oakland - look what he has done to them! :icon_eek::icon_eek:

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

:icon_rofl::tup:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Marty is having too much fun in retirement, but I can see him wanting to punk AJ if he decided to come back into the league. I don't expect to see it happen, but the script would be suitably Shakesperean, with both of them taking poison in the Raider crypt. I was just fantasizing about watching the death spirals.

16. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I could see him back at Cal .. afterall, he went 6-6 and lost to Navy in the Aloha bowl before leaving for the 9ers. Clearly, with those credentials, he is most certainly one of the best coaches of all times at Berkeley. Pfft!