1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

More Blather from Acee: NFL draft review: Defensive tackles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Apr 20, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    USC's Moala tough enough to warrant an early-round selection

Fili Moala's toughness – not to mention his strength, size and room to grow – likely will get him drafted in the first round.

But he isn't that tough.

The son of a professional boxer, the young Moala trained in the ring through junior high. But he made a decision before then that boxing was not for him.

“Shoot, 10 years old when I got popped in my face,” Moala said of a shot he took from his father, Fili Sr., in the ring. “I don't shy away from that stuff, don't shy away from any kind of physical activity. I love it. It's made me what I am today.

“(But) that ringing noise in my ear didn't sit too well with me.

Moala, 6 feet 4 and 305 pounds, decided instead on another brutally difficult job – playing in football's trenches.

The USC player is likely to be the second defensive tackle selected (after Boston College's B.J. Raji) in the draft that starts Saturday.

He played in a 4-3 defense in college and likely is suited more to be a tackle there, even with a body that scouts believe can support another 25 pounds. But three to four teams, including the Chargers, who had him in for a visit, have shown interest and could use him at end.

TOP PROSPECTS

B.J. RAJI, Boston College, 6-1, 330

Projected: First round

Comment: The top prospect at his position, by far. His size, natural ability and agility have teams believing he can be dominant at the nose position.

FILI MOALA, USC, 6-4, 305

Comment: Like most good tackles, statistics don't tell the story. Simply, the Trojans' defense just kept getting better in Moala's three years clogging the middle. He did have 10 tackles for loss in '08.

PERIA JERRY, Mississippi, 6-2, 290

Comment: An astounding senior season helped the Rebels finish fourth vs. the run in '08. There are concerns about his age (24), fitness and durability.

ZIGGY HOOD, Missouri, 6-2, 300

Projected: First or second round

Comment: His stock has gone up with strong pre-draft exercises. Extremely athletic, he's seen as an end in a 3-4.

WILD CARD

RON BRACE, Boston College, 6-3, 331

Projected: Second or third round

Comment: Raji's less-celebrated line mate is thick but quick. And he's strong, having done 32 reps (225 pounds) on the bench.

Monday, April 20, 2009
    Boston College's B.J. Raji is the top defensive tackle prospect, by far. - Scott Boehm/Getty Images

[​IMG]

Now that's some beef!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    How come he seems to be the only guy talking about Moala as a 1st rounder?.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    How come he thinks Brace is a wild card? He's going to go either late in the first or early in the second.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I would be ecstatic if we got Ron Brace in round 3.

Its not even remotely realistic.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I can't wait for saturday to see all these dumbasses' predictions fall flat on their faces.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd be happy with a trade that doesn't involve the kitchen sink to get him in the second. Hell I'd be happy trading WAY down into the first and taking him there
    But I swear Acee is not even bothering to research his **** and is pulling it out of thin air.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    He sounds willing to bet his 401k (which is probably not worth that much anymore) that they will draft Beanie #16.

I do not think AJ will go linebacker at 16 after signing Burnett, and I think all the top OT's will be gone, and there are no top safties worth that pick. Ultimately it sounds like its coming down to Tyson Jackson, Knowshon Moreno, or Beanie Wells.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Jackson will likely be gone as well. And I'm sure as hell not endorsing a RB in the 1st, whether we trade down or not. :no:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You mean "201K".....:icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Moala might not be a 1st rounder, but i would much rather have him than future bust Tyson Jackson as our DE

• Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I've come to the point where I'm not endorsing anyone, I've never been so confused 5 days before the draft, I ususally have some favorites pegged by now.

The 5 guys I could live with (not in order)
    Rey Maualuga
    Brian Cushing
    Knowshon Moreno
    Beanie Wells
    Andre Smith

And don't leave out the possibility that if we do go RB at 16 that Sproles could still be traded. I love the guy but he's not an everydown back.

12. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I'd be stoked with Oher as well, but maybe that's because I read the book. And I would be a bit bummed if we RB, I feel like I defense and offense line need the most help. We can make it through this year with LT/Sproles and can focus on a RB next year or pick one up later in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree OL and DL need the most help, but given our position in the draft and the scheme of our defense, nobody really fits the bill.

I will crap wood if we draft Tyson Jackson, I'm not even exactly sure why people view him as a 1st round worthy player, other than the fact that he's the only 300lb DE in this draft that isn't a scrub.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll see your Jackson & raise you a Hood. :icon_tease:

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ha! Sure, but not at 16.

If we had the 28th pick again this year I'd be happy with either, but at 16 we have more options than to just pick and prey like we did with Buster Davis and Antione Cason. Cason looks solid, but Buster Davis is an abomination.

16. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'll see your Ziggy and raise you a Jerry! :icon_tease:

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

What we need is the defense to get better. We need a better saftey and d-end.

Acee's job I'm positive now is to put out disinformation. And he's been doing a good job of it this offseason. Pay
    raise coming acee's way.

18. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    The Tyson Jackson will be a bust sentiment is just plain dumb. The guy is a safe player at a 3-4 DE position. IMO, he will be a 3-4 DE who is a plus against the run and a 5 to 6 sack guy. He is going to be a Richard Seymour type player and for those that think we can't use him ... please watch some 3-4 football teams before you make the statement.

I am worried seeing the Fili Moala as a potential 1st round pick. IMO, he'd be the Buster Davis of this draft if he was selected in round 1. I suddenly don't want to trade down.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

I don't think Jackson will be a bust, I just think there are guys in round 3 we could get to do the same job just as well.

20. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Not likely in this draft. Jackson is considerably better than most other options. Third round probably means options like Ricky Jean Francois or Alex Magee. Don't see them as even close to Jackson

That said, the 3-4 defense doesn't put a premium on playmakers. If Fili Moala drops to the 3rd round, he offers better value at that point than Jackson in round 1. I just don't believe he will fall that far down.

21. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Sorry, teach, can you please teach us all what a 3-4 defense is all about???

Also, can you please explain to me why the Rivera basically replaced a high draft pick, 4 year starting DE with an UDFA last year and not only did the defense not miss a beat, but statistically was much improved?

Could it be that 5techs arent as important as people want to make it out to be? We could get a guy in the mid to later rounds that will be jsut as valuable as Jackson. The cowboys found that out first hand when they wasted a #1 on the original Tyson Jackson (Marcus Spears), and then watched him get outplayed in every way by a 4th rounder from that same year, Chris Canty

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    What about guys like Dorrell Scott, Terrance Taylor, and Roy Miller?

Scott- Prototype body for the 3-4 scheme, has some technical problems that can probably be coached out.
    Taylor- 4yr starter never missed a game, very good run stopper, high energy guy and team captain.
    Miller- 4yr starter, never missed a game, one of the best run stoppers in the entire draft, PHENOMENAL STRENGTH and plays with a mean streak according to his scouting report.

If you click on the links you can read the analysis on these guys, all of them are perfect fits for the 3-4 scheme at any position on the D-line.