1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

More changes...... Hunter & Joiner gone too

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Bolts make big changes to offensive staff

MOBILE, Ala. — There is little familiarity left on the Chargers' offensive coaching staff.

First-year coach Mike McCoy is expected to announce changes throughout the week. Among them, Hal Hunter, the team's offensive line coach who also carried the title of coordinator in 2012, will not be retained under the new regime.

Other moves include the departure of Charlie Joiner. The Hall of Fame wide receiver and position coach's contract expired at the end of 2012.

Hunter, whom many Chargers linemen have hailed as being in a class of his own, was an offensive line assistant in 2006, the final season of Marty Schottenheimer's tenure. In 2007, he was promoted to offensive line coach upon Norv Turner's arrival.

Hunter is actively searching for his next opportunity in the league.

Joiner played 11 of 18 NFL seasons with the Chargers. He coached their wide receivers for 10 years, spanning from 1987 to 1991 and 2008 to 2012.

In coaching circles, the 65-year-old is considered set to retire after first entering the league in 1969.

Tight ends coach Jason Michael is the only Chargers offensive coach from the Norv Turner era confirmed to be retained. He came to San Diego in 2010.

Frank Reich, former Cardinals wide receivers coach, followed Ken Whisenhunt to San Diego. Reich is the new quarterbacks coach, replacing John Ramsdell.

Whisenhunt spent six years coaching Arizona before he and a large part of his staff were dismissed Dec. 31. The fired included Russ Grimm, offensive line coach and assistant head coach.

Grimm may be an option to succeed Hunter as offensive line coach.

Mike Sullivan, Hunter's assistant, was named the Browns' new offensive line coach last week.
    On defense, McCoy recently announced he'll retain defensive coordinator John Pagano, linebackers coach Joe Barry and assistant linebackers coach Greg Williams.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Hmmmmmmmm wonder why Sullivan was chosen over Hunter by Norv?

Hunter not up to the job or Norv picking the wrong guy I wonder?

No harm is bringing in fresh ideas to the O line it is not like they were world beaters. I want Mike Tice, he is out of a job right now yes?

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Tice would be a very nice addition (no pun intended). While I don't blame everything on Hunter (let's be honest it's hard to turn chicken crap into chicken salad, especially with the crap he had) it is nice to get some fresh ideas and whatnot out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Better Whatnot, than Hadnot. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +316
    McCoy not waste'n any time shake'n things up already....that's good.....I hope....I like the aggression...I just hope to hell it's for the better of course.
    Bummer about Charlie's departure though. I always liked that slice of old skool on the sidelines. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Ollie Wilson staying....

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    What Hal Hunter had to work with past two years was laughable. I get Russ Grimm had similar deal in Arizona. But what makes Grimm better?

San Diego Chargers@chargers
    Chargers Great Charlie Joiner Announces Retirement

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Change is good. Exactly what this offense needs.

I would love to see the hurry up, only if Rivers can be more accurate and smart.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I still blame him. Mediocre ability can still look passable with quality technique - the majority of our OL brought in following Hunter's promotion had sloppy-as-hell technique. (And then there's Clary who was constantly trying to block his linemate's assignment instead of his own - seriously, what OL coach let's that stand without running the guy through the wood chipper?).

• Like Like x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    I'll miss Ole CJ, dude was nothing but the best in my book. He'll always be one of the best Bolt's to ever play and coach, He and Fouts were just magic together.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Hunter hadn't been fired yet. Probably didn't want to wait and miss out on hiring either of them.