1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MORE CUSTOMERS WILL BE ABLE TO GET ONLINE SUNDAY TICKET

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 6, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    More customers will be able to get online Sunday Ticket

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 6, 2010 4:38 PM ET
    Folks that can't get a satellite signal at home will have the chance to watch any game they want this season on their computer or phone.

Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post wrote on his Twitter account Thursday that DirecTV is expanding their online "Sunday Ticket-to-Go" offerings to non-DirecTV subscribers.

The company tested the same plan in New York City last year, but this time folks around the country can get in on the act. The only catch -- and it's a big one -- is that the plan appears targeted only to people who live in apartments that don't allow dishes or in areas without a satellite signal.

"We will probably roll it out more formally the following year," a DirecTV rep tells Hubbuch.

The company may be hesitant to fully embrace the format out of fear of hurting Sunday Ticket's ability to push people towards subscribing with DirecTV.

We had the online service as part of our regular Sunday Ticket package last year and it was awesome. It's not cheap -- $350 just for computer/mobile service for non-DirecTV subscribers -- but it's pretty damn cool.

It's only a matter of time before everyone can get every game on their computer. As part of DirecTV's contract extension with the NFL, they are required to establish a full online version of Sunday Ticket by 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/directv-to-beef-up-online-offers-of-sunday-ticket/
    :icon_toast:

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I approve of this deal! :icon_toast:

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup:

4. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Does anyone know if this would work in a college dorm since technically, you can't install your own satellite there.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    If you're asking about getting NFL Sunday ticket online, then yes. But in a college dorm, you're stuck as they will not let you set up a dish outside. If your window happens to face south and you can get a signal, you might get it to work. But it would have to be a DIY job.

6. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Sweet. Just moved into a new apt and was upset they charged more for satellite dishes. This works out great for me. Now they need to work on getting the cable companies involved in broadcasting games so the price can go down and more of us living outside our teams area can watch them play.

7. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    It'll be interesting to see how the blackouts are enforced... VPN's anyone?

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Or use proxies. :yes:

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Your ISP. That's where I think they would have some control

10. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Right, hence the comment on proxies and vpn's...

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

you think they haven't thought that through?

I bet there will be an ip tied to your account, proxy all you want but I doubt you get around the blackout rules.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Not possible.
    [Puts on I.T. Geek hat]
    99% of home internet users get their IP's assigned VIA DHCP. That means there is a chance you won't keep the same IP everytime you use the internet. Unless your ISP assigns you a static IP, which is rare, linking an IP to your account isn't practical.
    [/removes I.T. Geek hat]

But, I'm sure they do have a list of proxies they can block. The trick would be to find one they aren't blocking.

13. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I'm in northern California. Where do I sign up? I want this now:tup:

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

true about DHCP but every ISP has a range of addresses they give out. I'm guessing those addresses are tied to geographic areas, that's why when you go to some web sites you get local ads.

do nslookup on your isp. at some point you can easily see where you get to the inter webz.

not a reach to find out the location of your isp.

but yuor probably right about the proxy now that I think that over.