1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

More Favre Drama...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

LORD FAVRE LOOKING FOR EXILE?

Bob Wolfley of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that quarterback Brett Favre has recently hinted that he might be interested in finishing up his career with a team other than the Packers.

In an episode of HBO's Costas Now to be aired on Wednesday night, Bob Costas asks Favre whether he'd be interested in playing for a team that was close to competing for a Super Bowl.

"I can't say it wouldn't happen," Favre said. "If it comes to a point where they do start over and I feel like I can play and they say, 'Brett, if you want to go somewhere else, go ahead, but we've got to start over. It's time for us to rebuild. It just doesn't make sense, so do what you want.' If I got the itch at some point, I can't say 'no.'"

Favre also revisits comments from last month regarding the moment at which he decided to return for another season -- the evening of April 14.

"That night, I remember it as if it was yesterday, and in my truck I have satellite radio," Favre said. "They said, 'Phil Simms is coming on in 30 minutes, going to discuss Brett Favre's situation, whether or not he should come back or not.'

"I said, 'I wouldn't mind listening to his advice.' "

After hearing Simms suggest that Favre should play as long as he possibly can, Favre knew it was time to return. "I said, 'You know, he's right," Favre said. "I should go back because I know I still can play. I know I still want to."

Maybe the other significance of April 14 was that, on the eve of tax day, Favre was realizing that, if he quits playing football, he'll no longer be making such significant contributions to Uncle Sam.

And given that it's increasingly obvious that the Packers are in rebuilding mode at virtually every position but quarterback, Favre's comments fairly can be interpreted as the giving of permission to the team to broach with him the possibility of an amicable split.

The real question, as we see it, is whether the separation comes before, not after, the end of the 2006 season. If a contending team should lose its starting quarterback to injury in September, would they come calling for Favre? And would Favre listen?

The franchises to specifically watch in this regard are the Eagles and the Seahawks, who use the West Coast attack with which Favre is keenly familiar. Also, teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Bengals, Colts, Jags, Chargers, Redskins, and Panthers are possibilities, if the starting quarterback for any of those franchises ends up done for the year due to injury.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=490452

Favre changes tune on switching teams
    Posted: Sept. 2, 2006
    SportsDay

In recent years, Brett Favre has said repeatedly he is not interested in ending his career with any team other than the Green Bay Packers.

But he sounds a different note in an interview with Bob Costas to be aired Wednesday night on HBO's "Costas Now."

Favre says he would consider playing for another team, presumably after this season, if the Packers approved.

Costas tells Favre many "great players in every sport" have finished their careers with teams other than the ones they helped make successful.

What if there were a 9-7 team "and they need a guy for a year or two (to) make a Super Bowl run," Costas posed.

Advertisement

"I can't say it wouldn't happen," Favre said. "If it comes to a point where they do start over and I feel like I can play and they say, 'Brett, if you want to go somewhere else, go ahead, but we've got to start over. It's time for us to rebuild. It just doesn't make sense, so do what you want.' If I got the itch at some point, I can't say 'no.' "

Favre told Sports Illustrated recently that remarks by CBS-TV's Phil Simms prompted him to return for at least another season.

In the interview with Costas, Favre provides more details about the day he decided to keep playing.

Favre said on the night of April 14 he was listening to Simms being interviewed on the NFL channel on Sirius Satellite Radio. Sirius is the pay radio partner of the National Football League.

"That night, I remember it as if it was yesterday, and in my truck I have satellite radio," Favre said. "They said, 'Phil Simms is coming on in 30 minutes, going to discuss Brett Favre's situation, whether or not he should come back or not.'

"I said, 'I wouldn't mind listening to his advice.' "

Simms said that night: "Play as long as you can. When you think it's over, play another or two years. . . because life after football, it's forever."

Said Favre: "That's me. I said, 'You know, he's right. I should go back because I know I still can play. I know I still want to.' "

Happy to jump ship
    Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker watched the Cincinnati Bengals trounce his former Packers team last week and was asked what he thought.

"Obviously, we have a chance to be a Super Bowl team," Walker told the Denver Post. "Obviously, they have a chance to win four games."

Walker, disgruntled in Green Bay, was traded in April to the Broncos for a second-round draft pick.

"It just made me happy to know I'm here and not dealing with that anymore," Walker said. "This is a winning organization, and I'm better off here."

Walker said he wants to see certain Packers players perform well and mentioned Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Bubba Franks and Robert Ferguson.

NOT MUCH TO READ AFTER YOU CLICK THE SECOND LINK SO HEADS UP...