1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

More McCoy BS debunked... Mathews does have an ankle injury

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    After the game, when asked whether Mathews was injured, and the reason he only got two carries in the 2nd half, this is McCoy's response:

“He came back in the game and played,” McCoy said. “You saw him do some good things in protection, things like that. He was back in the game.”

Then today, we get this from Gehlken...

Ryan Mathews out with ankle injury
    By Michael Gehlken

Ryan Mathews saw only two second-half carries Sunday.

On Wednesday, the theory for why was confirmed.

The Chargers running back rested and rehabbed a right ankle injury, helping explain his usage Sunday night against the Patriots. He was one of five players not to practice, defensive end Corey Liuget (ankle), tight end Ladarius Green (concussion, ankle), outside linebacker Dwight Freeney (rest) and punter Mike Scifres (clavicle) the others.

Mathews rushed nine times for 52 yards in the first half.

He had two carries for negative 8 yards in the second. Collectively, the Chargers totaled negative 11 yards on four designed rushes after halftime, all in the third quarter, as the team was shut out in the second half of a 23-14 loss.

His injury occurred with about two minutes left in the second quarter.

After cornerback Kyle Arrington tripped him on a 10-yard run, Mathews regained his balance only for linebacker Jamie Collins to tackle him from behind. Collins' hip appeared to incidentally fall onto Mathews' ankle, twisting it awkwardly into the turf. The hard-luck incident left the fifth-year veteran in visible pain, as he headed to the locker room for further evaluation.

Mathews was sidelined for the offense's first drive of the third quarter before resuming play in a limited role.

There is no questioning Mathews' value to the offense.

The Chargers have lost their past two games versus Denver. In both, they missed their top running back.

They were without him in October the last time they faced the Broncos, one of seven games Mathews missed due to a knee sprain. The running backs managed 14 carries for 44 yards in his place.

His absence also was felt during January's playoff loss in Denver. He rushed five times for 26 yards early but, due to a lingering ankle injury, was unable to continue. The other backs combined for 29 yards in 10 carries on a windy day.

That loss helped precipitate the Chargers' signing of Donald Brown two months later in free agent.

Brown's greatest contributions have come in the passing game.

"(Mathews is) a good back, a good player," quarterback Philip Rivers said. "There's no doubt we're better when he's out there. At the same time, we have confidence in Donald, Branden (Oliver) and Ronnie (Brown) when they're in there as well. But when he's rolling and we're balanced, that's when we're at our best."

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I didn't see it written, does this mean he is out vs Broncos?

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    No way to know at this point. All we know is he couldn't practice.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Hopefully he gets in there on Thursday or Friday. This offense is anemic as it already is. No threat of a running game and the Broncos could run us out of the building.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Like in the playoffs last season?

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Last year it was in their own building which they own 100%. This time it'll be in dilapidated one which is shared half & half between ours and theirs ;)

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Well.. if anything, his value as a free agent is coming down. Great news for us!

Seriously, we need him Sunday. No doubt about it. If the defense played like they did on SNF against the Patriots, no doubt in my mind we will win the game. Offense needs to figure itself out, ASAP.

Miss you, Whisenhunt.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    In defence of McCoy he didn't actually say he was not injured per se.

Having said that the less you listen to what he says the better. I've stopped watching his pressers weeks ago, there is no point, unless there is a bit where a journo gets him a tad wound up eg. the newspapers don't win football games moment.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't mind McCoy being so coy concerning team matters. I can't understand why the same old reporters keep asking the same dumb arse questions expecting a different answer. It would be funny if no local reporters showed up at his next scheduled presser just to see his reaction.

Mr. McCoy needs to have this team show growth and so far this season I haven't seen it. Rivers, Gate's and a few others are just getting another year closer to retirement and no rings for their efforts. Against the Pats last Sunday, the Bolt offense looked confused in the second half. Losing Ryan Mathews sure didn't help any and he is a solid weapon when carrying the mail. The Bolts are just a soft team with a choirboy mentality, someone should have done something for the cheap shot on RM, hell the Pats gladly gave up 15 to get RM out of the game.

Oh well, until folks stop thinking it cheating when all players sell out to win, I'll just have to be happy with all the L's at the final gun.

10. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    HOLY CRAP!!!! SHOCKER!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I love McCoy and his non-answers - pissing everyone off who feels entitled to 100% transparency for whatever reason. He's never going to give anything away if he doesn't have to, everything is "just doing what's best for our football team". And somehow, people are still surprised even most of the way through year two. :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    From time immemorial, when footballs were made of dinosaur bladders, coaches and players have been groomed not to give reporters any substantial information relating to their teams.
    Thus, the invention of coachspeak and canned answers.
    Fans that expect anything more are usually setting themselves up for frustration.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If I were a HC, I wouldn't want to meet with the press just for the sake of being available. The players medical condition is by law a private matter and is not the business of any person not personally involved or a family member. Deal with it and worry about youself is all anyone needs to know.

As far as any of the other garbage who cares. At least McCoy isn't shooting his mouth off like Rex Ryan about how many games and Super Bowls he's going to win or how much better of a coach he is than any others. If McCoy gets this team a Lombardi he'll go down as the greatest Bolt HC, if not, he'll eventually be shown the door like all those who have preceded him.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    I. Yes, I'm glad McCoy isn't Rex.

II. Yes, I'm fine with not giving away extra info that might harm the team's chances.

III. I'm also concerned though, that McCoy may be developing a habit of being tight-lipped
    not so much for strategic reasons, as to bury his questionable decision-making.