1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

More NFL/East Coast Bias

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    This is horrible There are much more west team flights to the east
    than team going the other way.
    The big fellas always get advantages. That's the real life.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

The Welker Rule

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The NFL passed four player safety rules proposals today at its annual meeting, including one designed to prevent crushing blows to defenseless receivers like the one Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker absorbed from Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark last season.
    Welker was forced to leave the Patriots' 33-10 loss to the Steelers on Nov. 30, after he was blasted by Clark on an uncatchable ball late in the third quarter.
    A Matt Cassel pass was tipped and as Welker completed his route and looked for the tipped ball, which he had no chance to catch, Clark launched himself and struck Welker under the chin with a shoulder/forearm. Clark was penalized on the play, but he was not fined. The NFL's vice president of officiating later said Clark's hit was legal.
    Not anymore.
    Although initial helmet-to-helmet contact with a defenseless receiver was already prohibited, the re-written rule passed today expands prohibited initial contact to include the forearm or shoulder in the head or neck area.
    "I'm a big supporter of that rule," said Patriots owner Robert Kraft. "I think anyone who is a fan of any team in the league who sees a hit like that on a defenseless receiver... I just think it's uncalled for. If it was 'legal' under the old system, I don't see a need for it. I think we're setting ourselves up for someone to be seriously hurt unnecessarily. If [the hit by Clark] is a legal hit, we've got to seriously look at the whole area, and I think that's what they've done."
    The other rules do away with the bunch formation on kickoffs, constrict kickoff return wedges to two players, and provide protection for a defenseless defender on crack-back blocks by offensive players similar to the one that Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward delivered to break the jaw of Bengals rookie linebacker Keith Rivers last season.
    That rule has similar language to the defenseless receiver rule, prohibiting initial contact by a blocker on a peel-back block to the head or neck area with the helmet, shoulder or forearm.

The Brady Rule

Tom Brady hasn't even thrown a pass in his comeback, and he's already affected change for the 2009 NFL season. In part because of the season-ending left knee injury that Brady suffered in the Patriots' 2008 season opener against the Chiefs, the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs. Brady tore his left ACL and left MCL in the first quarter of the Patriots' 17-10 win over the Chiefs Sept. 7. As Brady stepped into a 28-yard completion to Randy Moss, Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard made a desperation dive into Brady's left knee after he had been blocked to the ground just short of Brady by running back Sammy Morris. Pollard was not flagged or fined for the hit. Under the revised rule, a play like his would be penalized, according to Titans coach Jeff Fisher and Falcons president Rich McKay, co-chairmen of the committee. "I think all the quarterbacks in this league are critical to what the game is about," said Patriots owner Robert Kraft. "It's like if Peyton Manning were gone for a season, I think the whole NFL suffers, the same way the NFL suffered with Tommy out. So whatever we can do to protect quarterbacks and to minimize the opportunity of them being taken out with a year-ending injury I would support. "It's not good for the league. What makes it special is special players. It's like going to see a great movie and the star isn't in the movie. It's the same principle."

4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    It's bullshit, didn't every single team from the west coast lose when they traveled east last year?

Also the rule change about the desperation thing when you're on the ground is stupid. So players are just supposed to give up and stand around? No. They should be able to knock Brady out for another year. Now that's a movie I'd want to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Anybody think this rule gets passed if that had happened to Tyler Thigpen instead of Tom Brady?

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    They can't do anything to help the West coast teams because there are too many East coast teams. So, they should just leave things alone rather than make a rule to benefit a handful of teams.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh noes! It's another hijacking!

• Like Like x 1
  8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    the leagues ****ing retarded with thesee rules. the first ones legit, but cmon, thats such bullshit, the brady rule is the "give up on a play" rule

• Like Like x 1
  9. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Agreed, as I stated in another tread why not change the rule when Carson Palmer got hurt against the Steelers in the playoffs with almost identical hits.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Would the hit on Philip that tore his his ACL, would that have been a fine? Why didnt the NFL do something then?

Does anyone have an Email address to the NFL? Lets let them know how we feel?

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Perhaps Chargers management should have stepped up and demanded a protection rule. Someone apparently suggested it this year, and it passed.

You can GOOGLE the address.

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I dont need to, the NFL is all against the West Coast Teams and they have shown it. The teams on the East Coast only have to make one trip west each season, but how many times do the West Coast teams have to travel East?

And it is the Patriots that cry the loudest, the Colts are the second loudest.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Rodney is on with Dan Patrick right now, and he is not happy with the rule changes. Says it's basically a rule which goes against everything players have been taught since they were kids - finish the play.

I understand trying to protect a vulnerable player - but it wasn't a dirty hit, it was an accident and this is a violent sport. This new rule is only going to make the yellow flags fly with less abandon - ugh.

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Sounds kind of like sour grapes to me. Tell your management to yell louder if you think it is effective, and apparently you do.

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Actually on that play the refs should have called a holding penalty on Morris. Somehow the refs missed it. :icon_shrug:

Watch this video at the 3:27 mark.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80aa5f0a

Also at the beginning of the clip listen to Belichick accuse the Chiefs of cheating as he drones on about how the Patriot players are taught how to play fair. waaaaaaaa.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Why, so our organization can be perceived as a whining spoiled little brat?

I have a bunch of 8 year olds on my Little League team, and just like I tell them, the rules are there, and you must play by what’s out there, and just because something doesn’t go your way, just deal with it and play on!

Karma is coming! And those that whine will be caught up in it, and it will cost them at the most inopportune time.

17. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    Maybe when Godell gets done sucking Kraft's **** :drool: :icon_kiss: he could give a little love to Spanos. But wait, then he'd have to acknowledge that football is actually played west of the Rockies.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    with Al Davis alive and kicking, he knows about Football out here

19. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    True, The Raiders were handed a Thanksgiving day game. :icon_huh:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    While we're putting diapers on the players, let's save a few for the fans, too. :yes:

Run what ya brung.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Re: The change of the AFC West travel.

1. The West teams can do something about as in fly into the Eastern city the Wednesday or Thursday before the game instead of Friday. The Patriots stayed out west 2 straight weeks twice. There is no excuse for the Western teams not to fly earlier when going East.

2. If you changed around the other divisions, what's the affect going to be? Little to none if you really look at it. For example, the AFC North, you go to Pittsburgh or Baltimore, but not both. Better than going to Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Re: Welker Rule/Brady Rule

I'll agree with many on these issues. Players from back in the day (the Butkus's, Nitschke's, Lambert's of the world.) would scoff at these rule changes. It's time for people to realize that NFL means National FOOTBALL League, NOT National FAIRY League.

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Welcome to the WWF

I'm almost done with pro sports

well, except for golf. It's the last sport that isn't controlled by greedy owners and media douche bags

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

• Like Like x 2
  23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    "The NFL suffered with Tommy out." - Kraft

Yeah I'm sure Miami, New York, and hell San Diego, Pittsburgh, Balitmore, and Indianapolis suffered...thus not the WHOLE NFL, douchebag!

24. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Memo to Mr. Kraft -

Tom did not get injured ON PURPOSE. Injuries are part of the game. The fact Tom Brady was lost for the year was unfortunate.

• Like Like x 1
  25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The problem with rules like these is that they don't protect players. They just lead to more penalties. You can't coach the aggressiveness out of a player. Just because it's illegal does not mean that it's going to stop a player from finishing a play. Brady still would have been injured if this rule was in place. His team would have just gotten 15 yards for it. BFD. Injuries are part of the game. I understand wanting to protect your stars, and I know that injuries to stars are not good for the game. But the NFL is a lot bigger than one guy. The league did not suffer because Brady was out. And for those that say it did, I'd love to see the proof. Where are the national TV ratings or league-wide ticket sales numbers that prove Brady's injury hurt the league?

• Like Like x 1
  26. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Exactly. Kraft and the rest of the owners have to adjust to the situation when adversity strikes.

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Just play the damn game. It isn't the game I grew up with and they are going to screw it but good, if they keep changing the rules.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Put the QBs in dresses & make it illegal to come within 5 yards of them except to blow kisses. Then build 16 stadiums in Mexico & have every team travel their to play their games. :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    No, the Cowboys were handed a pansy to slap around on turkey day so Jerry could enjoy his turkey with a win.

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This is where the league is heading.