1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

More proof that Norv Turner is a great head coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    As you can see here, AJ Smith is a horrible GM that can not fill a roster with any real talent and hasn't done jack **** in 6 years. (Back when Marty was coaching the team.)

The fact that Norv Turner can take such horrible talent and still go 35-19 is a testament to his coaching prowess.

Kudos to Norv Turner. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, hopefully we can get a new GM that can get him some real talent so he can finally win it all. :abq1:

2. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I don't know how anyone can refute the argument quoted in the first post.

And because it has been concluded that AJ Smith is horrible we can only conclude that Norv Turner is a great head coach.

I'd love to see what Norv can do if he had some real talent.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm still waiting for an answer to this question.... "What has he done for us lately?"

He did get us some great talent 5-6 years ago and it's still going today.
    Can you now say that Merriman was worth a first round draft pick? How about Cromarti? Buster?

But you're right about one thing... If we ditch AJ, then we can bring in a respectable HC and win it all.

Now again... What has he done for us lately?

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Since Norv is such a great HC and can coach garbage player's to a 35-19 record, He might be a great GM also, Then we kill two bird's with one stone. Fantastic HC and grand GM all rolled into one.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    They had lorenzal neal on the jim rome show today. He said some interesting things.

That norv should be sterner with players that get out of hand. And that the o-lines should run block with more passion. And that one big reason Rivers had a hard time is the jets realized Rivers isn't as good out of the pocket so they purposely tried flushing him to one side or the other thus cutting down the field in half where Rivers could throw the ball(I thought that was a very interesting comment).

And that the chargers shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. THat we have a very good nuculeus for a team. That what needs to be done is the coaches just have to get tougher with the guys that get out of hand.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Again... What has AJ done for us lately?
    You and Leo seem to run from that question.

Merriman gave us about 2-3 great seasons. Is he that same player now?
    Cromartie gave us one great season, is he that same player now?

But those guys are NOT the whole team!!!
    With the talent we have and being in a s*itty division... it doesn't take much of a HC to clinch the division.

A better GM could of brought in newer talent that will last.
    He'd also let the HC do his job, bring in his own assistants, and take this team to it's fullest potential.

The garbage spewing from your mouths it just forum battle cra and nothing else.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Really? So what you're saying is hindsight is 20-20?

While Merriman was performing well, you weren't crying. While Nate was performing well, you weren't crying. When Cro was performing, you weren't crying.

Suddenly, we lose a game where the entire team shits the bed and NOW you want to look back and say "SEE, even when these players were performing well I KNEW AJ WAS WRONG". Care to deny?

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I unblocked the sig...

had to be done in light of the madness.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Name this phantom duo of HC and GM, that you can personally guarantee will win the Lombardi in their first year.

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I can't wait to see the answer to this, but I don't think you'll get one. :no:

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    B4L get this through your thick ****ing skull -- we've been to the superbowl ONCE in 94, what has ANY coach done in the history of this franchise (aside from the afl days) EVER? shut the PHUCK up already about norv and aj!!!!

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Draft
    Vincent Jackson
    Tim Dobbins
    Jeromey Clary
    Louis Vasquez
    Brandon Siler
    Eric Weddle
    Brandon Dombrowski
    Marcus McNeil
    Legedu Naane
    Scott Mrzucowski
    Darren Sproles
    Steve Gregory
    Kevin Ellison

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Philip Rivers
    Mike Tolbert
    Jacob Hester (ST)
    Mike Scifres

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    5-6 years ago is not lately.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Again, I said "lately."

Though some of these guys are lately but they were also late round picks. I'm talking about first round guys that have made an impact and are continuing to.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    and?

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The first one was in 08. I made a prediction? So what?
    Everybody makes predictions. We all predicted a win on Sunday.

The second one was in 07. Yes, that was one game where I felt the coaching contributed to the win and I was happy to eat crow.
    If fact, he had me believe towards the end of this season until Sunday.
    So what?

Point of this post?

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    maybe it has something to do with not having high draft pics the last 5 years

:icon_shrug:

20. SuperCharger21

SuperCharger21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Vasquez named to PFW All-Rookie Team

Chargers guard Louis Vasquez named to Pro Football Weekly’s All-Rookie First Team.

When the Chargers used a third-round pick in April’s draft to select guard Louis Vasquez, they thought they were getting a smart, physical
    offensive lineman who was capable of quickly transitioning from his collegiate spread offense to San Diego’s pro-style attack.

Vasquez proved to be just that. As a rookie, he started 14 games at right guard, missing only Weeks 2 and 3 due to a knee injury, and the Texas Tech alum played well enough to earn All-Rookie honors from Pro Football Weekly. The publication lists the top rookie at each position on its squad, and Vasquez joined Buffalo’s Andy Levitre as the top guards.

Like every Charger has done in recent weeks when given personal accolades, Vasquez credited his teammates with much of his success.

“Getting to play with the veterans that we have on our offensive line has been huge for me, and our line coaches (Hal Hunter and Mike Sullivan) really helped me a lot,” Vasquez said. “It was a great year that hopefully I can continue to build on.”

Head Coach Norv Turner praised Vasquez for the way he took hold of the opportunity to start so early in his career.

“Louis really has been outstanding,” Turner said. “He's a guy that's gotten better as he's played. When you look at ouroffensive line across the board, we're big and we’re physical, and he'sas physical as anybody we line up with.”

Vasquez was the only Charger recognized by PFW, but San Diego saw its rookie class make major contributions. First-round pick Larry English[​IMG] was part of the rotation at outside linebacker and coaches were encouraged by his high motor and disciplined play. Defensive end Vaughn Martin[​IMG] saw his playing time increase as the year went along, and safety Kevin Ellison[​IMG] elevated himself to the top of the depth chart in the team’s base defense.

As expected, fourth-round guard/center Tyronne Green[​IMG] spent most of his rookie season learning on the practice field, and coaches were pleased with his progress. Two undrafted free agents, linebacker James Holt[​IMG] and safety C.J. Spillman[​IMG], made names for themselves on special teams.

“We’ve had a lot of young guys make strong contributions to this team and a lot of guys stepped up,” Turner said.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks for this article. Yes, those guys are solid and we'll see what they amount to.

Are they making Merriman and Cromartie money?

22. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    You asked what he's done for us lately, Cromartie and Merriman are irrelevant to your point.

Don't forget Malcolm Floyd was undrafted and he could be the #1 receiver on many teams. What makes the 1st round some sort of be all, end all decision on how a GM drafts? Do you realize that with AJ's scouting we've found some really damn good players in late rounds or undrafted? We don't NEED 1st rounders to be superstars because our starting receivers for instance are 2nd round and undrafted. Ellison is 6th(I believe) round. What does it matter when you find players who are JUST AS PRODUCTIVE IF NOT MORESO in later rounds than the first rounders?

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Floyd is not recent.

I'm not saying late round picks can't be impact players but they don't take up much cap space either.

24. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Ok I didn't know Floyd was in 04, so I guess I'll concede that one, but would you not say it's better to get someone with a cheap contract who has a huge contribution than for instance Matt Stafford in Detroit being either 1st or 2nd(can't remember which) highest player in team history? What has he done? I don't understand why taking up cap space is a bad thing?

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I'm not arguing any of this in this thread

I agree. AJ is a horrible GM who hasn't done **** for us in six years!

The fact that Norv Turner can still manage to go 35-19 with such a ****** GM stockpiling the team with ****** talent shows how great of a head coach he is! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

26. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Too bad AJ drafted this guy. :icon_rofl:

27. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    AJ's philosophy is pretty funny to me. And the fact that he deems it proven is even funnier. I mean what has it gotten us really? Some playoff appearances? Free agency actually works when done right, look at the Patriots over the last decade. And the theory that drafting a running back can't be done in the first round? Where did we draft LT? Oh right...5th pick 1st round of the draft. That seemed to be a pretty solid investment. Here are some other more recent success stories. Rashard Mendenhall: 23rd pick 1st round, Chris Johnson: 24th pick 1st round, Adrian Peterson 7th pick 1st round.
    Granted we probably wont trade up to get a top 10 pick and if we did perhaps a D tackle would be a better pick there but hey looks like we will be picking round about 28th we could definitely move up a few spots via trade if need be. its all speculation...I'm just puttin' it out there how we have these "tried and true" methods that make AJ a "Genius" Are the really effective?

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Where have you been, the Stillers do very little in the free agent market and build through the draft. Six Lombardi's sounds right good to me. :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

29. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Maybe you should re-read my post bud. I wasn't talking about the Steelers when I was talking about free agency, I mentioned the Patriots. Ever heard of a guy named Randy Moss? He did some good things for them. And when I mentioned Mendenhall from the Steelers I was talking about the draft and where they picked him 1ST Round Something AJ says he wont do. Jeez man! Read before you write!

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    My bad dude, that's what I get for reading, watching TV and eating at the same time. :tup: