1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

More Squaw nonsense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2006
    GRETZ: AFC WEST - SAN DIEGO LOOK - kcchiefs.com

There are some, including general manager A.J. Smith, who think the team is actually in a better position right now than it was at the end of last season.

That’s because Marty Schottenheimer is gone. The Chargers fired their head coach about a month after they made him a lame duck with a cheesy contract extension offer that had more holes than a block of Swiss. Typically, they screwed themselves by not making the move to oust Schottenheimer until after the team’s two coordinators had been hired elsewhere as head coaches.

If the Chargers (read Smith) wanted rid of Schottenheimer, they should have had the guts to make the move as soon as the disappointing loss to New England was over. Instead, they allowed two solid coaches to escape, fired one of the best head coaches in football history and settled for Norv Turner as their new head coach, a guy who failed in two previous head coaching stints (59-83-1.)

What happens when Schottenheimer leaves a team as head coach? Check out the numbers.

Focus will be on left tackle Marcus McNeill, who must improve on his rookie season performance, which was good enough. McNeill must be better.

San Diego wasn’t interested in re-signing Donnie Edwards and the unproven Matt Wilhelm will take his spot in the starting lineup; that’s a step down for the Chargers.

The writer is correct that the Chargers should have dumped Marty after the Pats loss, but the biggest thing you can blame Dean and AJ for is believing that Marty would NOT be a vindictive *** hole and try and hire his brother.

Taking a pot shot at a rival's GM on your own website is petty and pathetic. KC Chiefs.com just gave the Bolts some bulletin board material.

McNeill needs to get better? Okay .... Maybe KC should look at their own OL, and their "awesome" replacement for Roaf :icon_rofl: (anyone who doesn't know, the Chiefs signed Damion MacIntosh to play left tackle).

Wilhelm is a step up from the Ankle Biter.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
  3. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Jul 12, 2007
    They are right about Marty being fired. We should have done it right after the season. We might have had a better selection of coaching choices, although I liked the list of guys we had come in. More importantly, I think we did end up with a pretty good group of coaches. It was touch and go, but we did alright. I would have liked to have kept Manuski and Chud, but we got experienced coordinators in Norv and Cottrell, and a good LB coach to boot in Rivera. We might have done better, but I think we dodged a bullet and will be OK.

AJ is not the only person who thinks the team is in better shape then at the end of last season. Ultimately, it is the player you put on the field that count. AJ has done a good job this offseason. We got a fast guy with some size, deep speed, quickness and return ability to add to the mix at WR, while geting rid of the old guy who wasn't productive anymore. We added a highly regarded DB at the other weak spot on the team. If the draft and FA are not about upgrading key weaknesses, what is the point?

Donnie was starting to become a distraction and while his level of play has not fallen offthe edge of the earth, he is not playing as well as he had been. I can buy the Wilhelm is a downgrade over Donnie argument, although I still don't really necessarily beleive it totally. But how about Cooper over Godfrey? We have 2 replacements, and Cooper had been splitting time with Godfrey since the middle of last season. Godfrey was also getting older and was starting to be a liability in coverage.

People will be focusing on McNeil to step up his game but I think there is every reason to think he will. When he first started he was only surviving on athetlic ability. You could see him get beat, but then manage to recevoer just enough. By the middle or the end of the season, that wasn't happening that much. He has amazing balance and does a great job of keeping his feet under him. He also needs to get heavier hands and deal a harder blow, but since he was playing with 2 broken hands, I think we can cut him some slack there. He has also never really had a long period of time working hard in the weight room and at a single side of the line. As he gets settled into the spot, he will get better and quicker as he gets more reps. He played very well last year, and I expec that he will continue to get better and better as the season progresses. It is nice to know he is leanring from guys like Dielman, Hardwick, Goff and Oben. They not only help him to learn the skills, but the kinds of conduct and work ethic that it takes to survive.

This season we have a lot more depth, and that is one area I think a lot of these guys are not counting on. How many OL in the league can call on a Roman Oben caliber player to fill in at OT?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Jul 16, 2007
    I guess the Chiefs are looking so bad that their beat writers have to spew nonsense about the Chargers to sell papers. I chalk this article up to jealousy.

The Chiefs offensive line is missing another key part and is another year older. They have no proven QB. They have no proven WR. In fact, their WR may be worse than the Bolts. Allen is an embarrassment to the team. The defense is below average and Herm seems to be slipping off his rocker a little more each season (he sounds like a mental patient in his interviews). To top it off, they have a headcase, me-first superstar RB.

Speaking of Larry Johnson, I was watching a replay of the Chief playoff game from last year on the NFL channel. It was towards the end of the game and the Chiefs were in hurry-up -- lots of passes. Johnson was supposed to chip the DE and delay out to the flat or sometimes was supposed to either double team the DE or just stay in to pick up pass rushers. It's been a while since I have seen such a half-hearted attempt at blocking. He would either just go through the motions and not really block or just miss his assignment altogether. Clearly, LJ is there to run the ball and is not a complete player like LT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. imfletcher

imfletcher BoltTalker

Jul 10, 2007
    Bob Gretz is a buffoon. His head's so far up Carl Peterson's *** he hasn't seen daylight in about 15 years.
  6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2005
    Yeah but, they got donnie now, so it will be fun watching LT drag him 15 yards each carry.

These people can't possibly be thinking they're going to handle McNeil. What are they thinking???