1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Moreno will workout for Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BLITZED56, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    CHARGERS WANT TO GET TO KNOW KNOWSHON

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2009, 10:41 p.m.

With Darren Sproles the recipient of the franchise tag and LaDainian Tomlinson likely to stick around for at least one more season, the Chargers could be expanding their backfield with Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno.

According to Steve Wyche of NFL.com, Moreno’s agents finalized plans for a private workout with the Chargers on March 30.

Unless the Chargers plan to trade Sproles, we can’t imagine them using a first-round pick on Moreno. Since he’d be the third man on the depth chart, he’d ordinarily be involved in various special teams. But it would be unwise for the Chargers to expose their first-rounder to injury by putting him on the punt/kick coverage units.

Meanwhile, Moreno repotedly ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.6-second range, :tdown: comparable to his numbers at the Scouting Combine.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
  3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    that phat marinara, nicklebolt ran faster than that back in the day...

4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    People put too much stock into 40 times. They hardly translate fully onto the field. Knowshon is a stud regardless of his time.

Whether we should or shouldn't spend our first rounder on a RB or not is debatable. I've got to trust that AJ knows what he's doing and that there's factors there that we as fans may not see or know.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Good point but when you've got DE's running sub 4.6 40's, IMO, that's a red flag. Hell Well's has 25lb on Moreno and he ran in the 4.4's.

6. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Emmitt Smith ran a 4.7 40. 40 times are overrated! One thing that a lot of people forget to think about is that pads will effect the runner, and different builds will be affected by pads differently. A DE will hardly be effected by pads since they're so damn big. A scrawny CB like Deion has his run speed changed dramatically when wearing pads.

I don't like Wells all that much. Injury prone, and I think he's extremely overrated. He ran behind a stud O-line in Ohio.

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Liar's month

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Moreno and Wells are over rated. There is not a first round back in this draft.

9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Wells and Moreno are 2 totally diff backs though, there is a reason why Moreno will go first over Wells

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Moreno is a real stud, and a real playmaker. He was I think the premier running back in the SEC and made numerous good defenses look just stupid. I just see alot of LT in him; he cuts very well, he can make people miss with ease, he might be the only person I know who could outleap LT and he has great jets.

I think RB is not the immediate need for the 16th pick but if there's enough chips that don't fall our way, then why not?

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I smell smoke (screen). :yes:

Why in the hell would we spend a 1st on yet another RB with all of the money we have tied up in that one position? :icon_huh:

IF AJ wants to pick up another back, there will be several in later rounds that would be very good complements to our current stable.

Yeah, let's draft a RB in the 1st & address our REAL needs later. That should win us a SB. :icon_rofl:

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ant lets be real, your a UGA homer.:lol:

SEC, PAC 10, BIG East, Big Ten....ect... means nothing to me. At least half probably more of the best RB's in the game come from smaller programs.

Willie Parker- N.C.
    Brian Westbrook- Villanova
    Michael Turner- Northern Illinois
    Brandon Jacobs- Southern Illinois
    Marion Barber- Minnessota
    LaDanian Tomlinson- TCU
    Chris Johnson- ECU
    Steven Jackson- Oregon State
    DeAngleo Williams- Memphis

I have a lot of questions about Knowshon that concern me, I don't think he is by any means the next Adrian Peterson or franchise runningback.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Guilty as charged your honor :lol:
    But doesn't change that Moreno's a hell of a player

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If we get him I'll hope your right, and I'll admit I'm wrong if he does turn out to be a stud.

But theres something that concerns me about a player who's supposed to be so obvious a star, yet everyone has him falling to us at 16.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    unless the Chargers plan to trade Sproles (which at most would get a second rounder) and/or not bringing LT back for 2010 then no on a RB with #16 :tdown:

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Agreed.

Save a RB for the later rounds and get us some BEEF!

Angry fat dudes - we need lots and lots of [talented] angry fat dudes.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Hmmm. I was thinking the chargers would use a qb that might be there in this draft at 16 as the barter chip to get a good trade. But it might be moreno. If the chargers show like they are interested some team might very well trade with us to move up to get him.

What would be the cats meow is if a team just a few spots back of us feel they have to trade up to get moreno and trade us their 2nd rounder and 1st rounder in doing it. Then we can get our good d-end/d-tackle. And get a middle second rounder out of it. Its a hope anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Yeah on the O-line and the D-line.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    also, don't want to see the name Moreno on the back of a Chargers jersey, we're 0 for 2 in that department :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Moreno weighs 20-25 pounds less that LaDainian, so I don't see him as being able to take-- or dish out-- anywhere near as much punishment as LT.

A lot of things would have to take unexpected twists for the Chargers to go RB at #16, and IMO it won't happen.

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    :tup:

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I think Moreno would be a good pick. We can't rely on L.T. staying healthy anymore. He isn't getting any younger and we need a successor at RB. Moreno is a total RB, he can run and catch passes out of the backfield. Sproles is NOT a good every down backup if L.T. gets hurt. Most teams have gone to a 2 back system. I would completley undersand picking RB Moreno. You can cross your fingers again this season and pray L.T. doesn't get hurt again. I can't go on maybe's anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I like Kwowshon, ALOT, I'm w/ Ant on this one.

I want either Maualuga, Knowshon, or best BEEF avail.

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    True, but you can't draft a backup with the #16 pick, you can draft a rb with a 3rd round pick, also, Hester would get some carries if LT goes down

25. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I think this pretty much means we WON'T be getting him. Which I'm happy with. We need BEEF

• Like Like x 1
  26. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    *Sproles traded foreshadowing*

:icon_sad:

27. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

knowshon will not go # 16. why the hell are chargers fans trying to draft him. what the hell have you been watching all year. get the replays on nfl network.

drafting moreno in the first would be worse than the hester pick. sober up people

red bomb me idc, ur rep means nothing to me now

• Like Like x 1
  28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: thanks for the plug, bro... you get to stay for free at the cabin now.

29. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I disagree with drafting Moreno. If for nothing else, drafting a first round RB would mean a huge chunk of our cap space devoted to one position. Not a great thing.

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    SAY NO TO MORENO! He isn't going to do much in the NFL and he sure as hell wouldn't do anything on the Chargers. Running backs in the first round are so hit and miss and Moreno is a miss.