1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Moss thinks Lebron would be better than Gates...LMAO!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, May 26, 2009.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Moss says LeBron would be better than Gates

May 26, 2009 9:57 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham Randy Moss considers LeBron James a kindred spirit. They both were schoolboy superstars in football and basketball. Moss, twice named Mr. Basketball in West Virginia, opted for football. James, an all-Ohio wide receiver as a sophomore and a junior, chose basketball. And the way Moss sees it, either decision would have been correct for them. "LeBron James is the athlete that comes around every so often," Moss told me by phone Monday. "I would put myself in that category. We're multi-talented, able to go out and play different sports, different positions." Over the past couple weeks, I interviewed dozens of knowledgeable sources for a feature that examined LeBron James, the football player. I spoke with coaches who witnessed James' domination on Ohio's fertile recruiting grounds. I consulted with college coaches, NFL personnel men and scouts to gauge their opinion of how good James would have been -- or still could be if he attempted to switch sports. Of all the people I chatted with, Moss was the most authoritative. The six-time Pro Bowler with 135 touchdown receptions knows personally what it takes, and he insisted James has it. "I think he could make the transition," said Moss, a bit of a crossover success himself as half-owner of Randy Moss Motorsports. "I really do. A lot of people -- and definitely football players -- don't think basketball players can make the transition, but I think he's one of those special players that given the opportunity of getting to a camp and learning can excel at this sport. I do think he could be a star in football." I asked Moss if it's fair to say that because James is a far superior basketball player than San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates was in college -- Gates didn't play college football -- that James also would be a better NFL player than the five-time Pro Bowler. "That's a good comparison," Moss said. "I think LeBron could come in and do better than Antonio Gates." Moss didn't even mention James' 6-foot-8, 250-pound frame, although it certainly wouldn't hurt. Moss explained his assessment was based on the pure physical dominance James demonstrates on a nightly basis. "I see his power and his explosion," Moss said. "It really translates to the football field. Basketball was my first love. I just chose football because I was able to excel at that a little bit quicker than basketball. "But looking at him and evaluating his skills and things like that, I don't think it'd be a problem for him to make the transition from basketball to football. "I believe that he could be a star in this game."

Yah ok.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Since Randy Moss is so frequently full of poop, it's difficult for me to think he actually knows what he's talking about in this instance. :no:

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    What does Randy Moss know, didnt he play for the Raiders?

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'll bet Lebron would be an awesome football player. The guy is an amazing athlete.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And what exactly does he have to back that statement?

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Do you care what Moss thinks? I don't. He can't prove anything and talk is cheap.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    What difference does any of it make? Antonio plays football and LeBron doesn't. :icon_shrug:

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    LeBron plays basketball and Moss is a turd...

You can quote me as saying that Conc would make a better WR than Randy Moss... anybody want to write a completely speculative and irrelevant article about that? :icon_shrug:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Maybe LaBron should retire from BB and try FB... Do the Jordan thing.

Strap them on and prove it... Dont sing it, bring it!

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thats right! I gots mad skillz! :abq2: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I read that article too today and thought it was interesting. LeBron was an awesome football player according to his coach and no doubt a hell of an athlete. It would be interesting to see him strap on a helmet and actually see if he could hang at the NFL level. But to have Moss say he's better than Gates? That's really stretchin it since Gates not only made the amazing transition from college to the NFL withOUT playing any college football, he became a multiple time PROBOWLER and is one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in the NFL. We can only speculate how good LeBron would have been if he played in the NFL, but let's not understate what Gates has done which is amazing. I would feel that eway even if I wasn't a Chargers fan. Moss is entitled to opinion, but he's still a-hole....

12. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I agree, but make him a tight end.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    He'd be good, but it's not an easy jump, I mean running into Shaq is different than getting smashed by a 250+ linebacker.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Only a Patriot player could say something that retarded and moronic and have NO ONE actually criticize him for being a dumbass but will actually take that **** seriously and analyze it.

PATHETIC

15. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    link Apparently Moss isn't the only one... :icon_shrug:

Personally I think LeBron definitely could have been an amazing football player, or any other sport for that matter. Could he have been better than Gates? Who knows? I doubt it though seeing as how Gates is built thicker than LeBron, but that's most likely from years of training for different sports. It's just one of those dumb arguments that would never get answered, like who'd win in a fight between Superman and The Hulk.

If LeBron changed over now though, he wouldn't make it I don't think. It's a rare athelete that can play more than one sport at a competent level. It's even more rare for an athelete to play two sports at a pro level a la Bo Jackson. Even then, I see baseball as less demanding physically than basketball so I don't see any player doing basketball/football.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    And Gates would still be voted to the probowl over him year after year.

17. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Granted Lebron is a great basketball player but so is D Wade and he cried like a little *** and got wheeled out after he hurt his shoulder. Just because dude can jump doesn't translate to being able to hold up to the brutality of the NFL...

**** if we were drafting from the NBA, I would rather have Artest to beat the **** out of opposing fans.

This is Moss taking a shot at Gates, big deal, when it's all said and done Gates will go down as one of the greatest of all time where as Moss will be remembered as one of the greatest wastes of talent of all time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    And Michael Jordon could have been a MLB MVP...oh wait.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Moss can go to Hades where he belongs. Lebron is never gonna leave the wood to play a man's sport.

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Good choice :tup:

*cough* sig *cough*

21. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Most authoritative douche bag.

22. smelleyott

smelleyott BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    i don't really see why lebron couldn't be a great athlete in football. they basically have the same size/frame and they'll both play the same position so comparing him to wade is totally bogus. both were/are great players in basketball, gates bring kent st. to the tourny and lebron doing what lebron does.

i think people need take off their homer glasses and realize that this article is pure speculation and that gates was just as much as an unknown coming into the league. he could have flopped, but instead he succeeded with his size, speed, and ability to use his basketball skill on the football field. why couldn't lebron do the same?

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    LeBron being in the NFL would have been interesting......until Merriman lays his arse out. Then reality will set in and LeBron would say to himself, "Dayam, I shoulda stayed in the NBA...." :lol:

24. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I'd like to see Moss play some basketball against Gates. Who do you think would win that one?

25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think LeBron would have been a great football player if he had chosen the NFL. To switch now, would be difficult, but LeBron is a special athlete and if he decided to focus on football, I believe he could do it.

BUT, better that Antonio Gates? Come on, be real now. That's ridiculous.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Gates would kill Moss. Gates was a 30+ scorer at Kent State. No contest. I bet Moss could ball, but Gates actually did it well at the collegiate level.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If he had made the choice of football immediately - maybe. LeBron is one hell of an athlete & competitor.

Gates would kill Moss. Randy is flash - Gates is money.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Lebon'll have lotsa time to polish his football skills now.