1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Most Overrated, Underrated Chargers player

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, May 25, 2016.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...underrated-player-on-every-nfl-roster/page/28

My guess was Teo and Dunlap respectively

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    I thought that most of last season, everyone on the Chargers defense was a bit overrated...

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd definitely say Liuget is overrated, but as to underrated I'm going to go with Stuckey. Honestly with so much turn over and so many new faces, it's hard to put anyone in the underrated category.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I respectably disagree, Liuget has managed to be the only bright spot on the line for years, constantly demanding double teams because Lissemore and Reyes were constantly getting pushed back at the point of attack. Stuckey is a JAG, only capable of playing ST's (which has been horrendous) with no other contribution to the team is equivalent to carrying 2 punters on the 53 man roster.

Outside of Rivers and Gates, I'd say 99% of the players are unknown to people in Fl., N.Y., Dal, ETC. outside of the Charger fan community.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I know it's blasphemy, but Verrett--great as he is--is usually talked about as if he's even better than he is.

If you watched closely, there were multiple times last year when JV was credited with breaking up a pass,
    that slow-mo replay revealed was actually dropped by the receiver.

I love the guy, and I know it's weird to say that your best defender is "overrated," but I feel he is...slightly.

Besides him, there aren't many Chargers thought highly enough to be significantly overrated.

Gordon might be a bit underrated...he's taken a lot of abuse...

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I commend you for actually knowing what "overrated" and "underrated" means.

Most people think it means "good" or "bad" respectively.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,725
    ^^^ Is that Goodell simulating a helmet to face concussion expression? Good one.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree with Gordon being underrated. Yes, he had a tough season, but Barry Sanders would have struggled behind the MASH unit that was last year's o-line.

As for Verrett being being overrated, I just don't see it. He's been a stud since entering the league, and has shut down some of the league's best receivers. He's well on his way to becoming an all-pro. The only thing that could derail him is injuries.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Verrett as an All-Pro...and fairly soon.
    I think the chat around most of the league is that he's already a "9.5" or a "10."
    I'm just saying that I think--while a true stud--such talk is a bit premature at this point.

As CC often says: "Verrett proves that Telesco knows how to draft!"

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

13. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I've never been all that impressed with Liuget so I wouldn't argue with this. In fairness to him though, I always thought he has been miscast in our system. He belongs inside in a true 4-3 in my opinion.

Overrated - DJ Fluker - it's hard not to like DJ's attitude and passion but the bottom line is he didn't cut it at RT and didn't really blow anyone's hair back at RG last year. I'm rooting for the guy big time, but as of right now, he hasn't justified his draft slot.

Underrated - Manti Teo - I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I think Manti is a very sound football player. Not spectacular but sound. He's been playing behind a garbage line since day one so I'm excited to see how he fares this year with the addition of Mebane and Bosa.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Maybe just name recognition, granted it took me a while to come up with a name, I agree more with Liuget

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Overrated - Trevor Robinson in the sense that he started at center for us last year. This guy isn't even good enough to be a back up in the NFL imho. Whoever made the decision to bring him in and start him seriously overrated this scrub. Other names under consideration for me were Addae, Chris Watt and Dzubnar.

Underrated - This was a difficult choice. It was between Tyrell Williams, Burwell, Emanuel and Philon for me. I really think all 4 of these can make it. Burwell especially is an enigma, he has outstanding athleticism for a guy of his size, I really hope these new O line coaches turn him into what he could become. But I am going to plump for Emanuel here, I think he can be a v v good OLB in the NFL if he can get himself 100% healthy.

16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Emanuel has vision...

17. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    It is difficult to narrow either list down to one player.

Underrated players include Philip Rivers, King Dunlap, Melvin Ingram and Denzel Perryman. Joshua Perry represents our most underrated 2016 draft pick. I think Jatavis Brown is also an underrated, not fully appreciated draft pick.

Overrated players include Melvin Gordon, Orlando Franklin, Chris Watt and Manti Te'o. Hunter Henry (a.k.a. Just A Guy) represents the most overrated 2016 draft pick. Joey Bosa is an overrated draft pick as well, but not nearly to the degree that Henry is.

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Te'o underrated?! WTF?! I can't believe I just read that, and from you!

Te'o is a walking missed tackle when he isn't a drag tackle for 2 extra yards for the ball carrier. That has nothing to do with support from the DL.

Perryman is what a second round draft pick at ILB should look like, much, much better than Te'o, who should not even be an NFL starter.

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I agree that Telesco was right and I was wrong when it came to Verrett--with the proviso that that is true as long as Verrett is able to remain healthy because the likelihood of injury was one reason why I downgraded Verrett in the first place and thought at the time that we should have drafted Roby.

20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I won't speak for MasterOfPuppets, but it is entirely possible for a player to be heavily praised and still be underrated (Philip Rivers, Denzel Perryman) and it is also entirely possible for a player to be heavily criticized and yet still be overrated (Manti Te'o, Melvin Gordon).

21. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Let's just see what he can do behind a decent Dline, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying he's Junior or Ray, but I do think he takes a lot of unnecessary heat for problems that originate from our sorry defensive line. Keep in mind he's been playing behind Kendall Reyes for gods sakes. The linebackers play can either be helped or hindered by the line play in front of them. There's a reason Ray Lewis basically cried for Ngata after he lived for some seasons without Siragusa and Washington. Again, I don't think he's pro bowl caliber by any means, but I do think he's better than he gets trashed for on some of these boards.

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I always get sad when you "downgrade" someone.
    If it meant something, it would be as if there were a new little flaw in our world... :tdown:
    unknown until you boldly pointed it out to us, so that we could partake in the sad...

23. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Well, right or wrong, at least I set forth a football discussion and a not a pile of :poop: like your post above.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    If the DL plays better and keeps Te'o clean with more regularity, then I think he will play better. Still, I think that Joshua Perry has a real chance to develop into a better ILB for us that will ultimately take Te'o's starting position from him. That was why I wanted us to draft Perry.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Wanna put that to a vote?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    You seem to be confused. Reality is not altered by a vote, so a vote is irrelevant when the posts speak for themselves.

My post was a discussion of Verrett. Yours was a pathetic ad hominem attack.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    True. But I don't see that being the case with Te'o.

I think the criticism about matches his level of play.

As for Gordon, considering the line he was running behind last season I think the book is still open on him.

28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    No matter how bad Gordon played, it was his rookie season...... MANY players struggle their rookie year. That doesn't mean that Telesco didn't overrate him by trading up to get him. I personally believe he did, since few RBs are truly worth a 1st round grade, and Gordon ran behind a truly dominate college O-line. He's not as good as his numbers would indicate. Quite a few college backs would've put up big numbers behind that line.

29. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Hasn't that been the same thing Weddle was lauded for? The only bright spot on chit defense. Every year he suppose to break out, heck how he destroyed the Niners in Pre Season made believe he'd have breakout year.

Membane and Bosa are here. NO MORE EXCUSES for #94.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Let's get to your questions:

@eric_d_williams: Manti Te'o had his best season as a pro last year, emerging as a team leader on defense and finishing with a team-high 83 tackles.

Te'o is the defensive playcaller and has improved in pass coverage enough that he can stay on the field for all three downs.

A second-round selection in the 2013 draft, Te'o's contract is up at the end of the 2016 season. I think in an ideal scenario the Chargers bring back Te'o on a multiyear deal. However, the 25-year-old has to prove he can stay healthy.

Te'o has missed 13 games in his first three years because of various foot and ankle ailments. He has shed weight during the offseason so he can play faster and stay healthy during the regular season, so we'll see how that helps him in 2016.

The Chargers drafted two inside linebackers this year in Joshua Perry in the fourth round and Jatavis Brown in the fifth round. But those selections are more about improving roster depth and special teams, with the possibility that one of those players could emerge as a starter down the road.

Remember, the Chargers had to replace Donald Butler, Kavell Conner and Joe Mays on the depth chart at inside linebacker.

Also, last year's undrafted rookie Nick Dzubnarflashed during exhibition play, and led the team in special teams tackles with 13.

But long-term the Chargers would like to settle in with Te'o and Denzel Perryman as the dynamic duo inside.

This is from a mailbag question to Eric Williams at ESPN. The blank part was the question which was something like "how do the Chargers view Teo moving forward". Not that this justifies anything, but I do feel like the organizations view of Teo and the fans view are far apart. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he shows up to camp healthy and in shape, if they gave him that extension