1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Most pathetic franchise in baseball actively trying to get worse...

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by matilack, Oct 16, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    THAT'S A SWEET JERSEY LEO!!!

:tup::tup::tup:

2. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't think trading Young or Peavy is the answer unless we're going to tear it down and build it from scratch

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    If Peavy goes, then that is exactly what they are doing.

Slash and burn the franchise payroll to Tampa Bay levels and then start over.

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If they do it, imo, they need a new strategy, cause the one they're using ain't workin

:no:

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I'll take the trade if we absolutely ravage the team we're trading him too.

I'm talking they are feeling buyers remorse the second they sign the paperwork.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,895
    And all reports that have come out of the Padres' front office has indicated that that's the only way Jake is traded this offseason.

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I just read a bit of disturbing trivia,

Andy Hawkins is thus far the only pitcher in San Diego Padre history to win a WS game.

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

That my friends, is truly pathetic

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3659970

The Braves seem to think they're gonna get him for a box of doughnuts.

Time to tell them to get serious or **** off.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    I really hope Wren is either posturing for the sake of the media or Towers quits talking to him.

No way should we trade Jake and not get top prospects.

Wren needs to realize he's talking about acquiring a Cy Young winner.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

We haver had one Fire Sale with Tom Werner as the owner all ready.

Charging Major League Prices to watch a AAA Team is getting old! When is the pocket book going to open up, and some real Free Agents going to start coming in here? The farm System is a joke, and the Players they have up here now are a result of that joke. I can remember when the attendance figures for a Padre game were far below 10,000 a game, and unless they start bringing in some real players, that just might be the way this team is headed again. You can sit there and tell me that paying more for talent just to appease the fan base all you want. The bottom-line is we do not have a Farm System anymore, and the only way to get some Free Agents in here is to open up the Pocket book! But then the major sponsor for the Padres TV Package is a Law Firm, maybe they know we fans are getting ripped off!

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Ray Kroc said way back when that he needed 10K every game to break even.

12. DeadCharge

DeadCharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I actually think trading Peavy is a good move, provided they get some good prospects for him. Peavy can really only win 20 games for you as opposed to some good hitters who can contribute what the Padres really need.

We have a young core and with some good decision making (not exactly a given with Towers) we could contend in a few years. I believe they call this the "Rays Theory." Seems to work alright...

13. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree we have a young core, but I think Peavy is part of that core. Gonzo, Peavy, Kooz, and then...wait a minute I will think of someone.

I agree if we can hit a grand slam trading Peavy it would be worth it. I don't believe that will happen. So, I would rather us build around peavy not trade him.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Organization exploring trade offers for popular shortstop

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/nov/03/padres-greene-latest-one-padres-discuss/?padres

Great idea!! Trade him while his value is at an all time low!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

DANA POINT — Khalil Greene, a franchise fixture for an 89-victory Padres club just two seasons ago, is now the subject of preliminary trade talks on the heels of his miserable 2008 season.

Clubs have expressed early interest in buying low on the shortstop, who batted .213 with 100 strikeouts last season before missing the final two months because of a self-inflicted hand fracture.

“We've had nibbles,” said General Manager Kevin Towers, who has met with other GMs the last three days at a coastal resort in Orange County.

The Orioles, Reds and Tigers are among those interested. The Nationals and Padres discussed a Greene trade this past summer, but the Nats aren't in play this time around.

Greene is guaranteed $6.5 million in 2009 and can become a free agent after the season. Keeping free agency open, he turned down a four-year, $29 million offer last offseason.

Relations between Greene and the Padres probably are not ideal. After Greene fractured his left hand on July 30, when he wacked a storage chest at Petco Park following a foulball of the shin and his 100th strikeout, the Padres stopped paying his salary, according to the players union.

A dispute between the Padres and the union ensued, and though the Padres eventually paid Greene his remaining salary, the club filed a grievance in an attempt to recoup up to $1.47 million in salary. Greene left the club some two weeks before the season ended.

The Padres have no advanced shortstop prospects behind Greene, who was replaced by utility man Luis Rodriguez last summer.

In the Jake Peavy talks with Atlanta, the clubs have discussed Braves shortstop Yunel Escobar. It is not clear that Atlanta would give up Escobar, a 26-year-old who is a good defender and has a career on-base percentage of .373.

“We're looking to improve the ballclub,” Towers said. “If we move Khalil, Luis Rodriguez is really our backup shortstop and second baseman, so we would create another hole by moving Khalil. There are some ballclubs that have interest in him, but they are also waiting to find out what the going rate is on shortstops.”

Peavy update

Towers again said he believes Peavy would be unwilling to OK a trade to the American League, but if a deal cannot be worked out with one of five NL clubs Peavy prefers, the Angels and Yankees are two AL clubs that would hold appeal to Peavy. Of those two, Peavy would prefer the Angels for geographic reasons, Towers said. The GM added that he doubts Peavy would approve a trade to the Red Sox, who have the financial might and young talent to make a compelling offer. The Brewers have young talent to offer the Padres, but Towers said he doubts Peavy would OK a trade to Milwaukee.

Simmons and Lefebvre

The Padres' hiring of bench coach Ted Simmons and hitting coach Jim Lefebvre, announced by the club yesterday, gives fire to manager Bud Black's ice. Black is energetic but not externally fiery; Simmons and Lefebvre have more combustible personalities.

“Their experience will be good for Bud,” Towers said. “They're kind of out there. It's good, though. They're willing to throw things out there. They're passionate about the game, driven.”

Towers said that Simmons, a former All-Star catcher, can also can “scare” or intimidate players. That might be a good thing, he added.

Notes

– Towers on closer Trevor Hoffman: “He did elect to file for free agency, but I think the desire from both sides is to work something out.”

– Padres pitcher Josh Geer, who was shut down in late September because of an elbow strain, will be re-examined after going on an extensive throwing program, said director of scouting and development Grady Fuson.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    Way to put the negative spin on it.

If they get something worthwhile for him then I'm all for it.

It's not as though he's as good as the local hype likes to think he is.

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well, that's how I see it.

:icon_shrug:

Just another reason for me to question the front office.

I'm for improving the team as well, but damn, I haven't seen many good decisions this last year.

I know everyone argues that we made the playoffs, blah, blah, blah, But early exits and first to last place finishes make me a little bitter.

:icon_shrug:

17. DeadCharge

DeadCharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Honestly with all this talk of trades and new players and such it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that we're not getting any better by moving guys around. I think the only way we're going deep into the playoffs any time soon is with a miraculous healthy season and about 5 guys playing above their heads come playoff time.

Towers would be better served making sure we have coaches in place to get the most out of who we have than trying to move franchise players at this point.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    You can't respond to rumors because they're just that...rumors.

The Padres have yet to make any trades this offseason, so it's rather silly to base any opinon on them based off rumored trades.

If they actually make a trade, then by all means, judge them off it in a good or bad aspect.

Right now all you're responding to is sports writers.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Excellent point, I gotta remember to stop reading that trash.

:tup:

I'm always hopeful

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    As a Dodger fan, I'd just as soon have Peavy remain a Padre for life, because I can't see the Pads being a serious postseason contender for the next few years.

I would hate to see Jake on a team like the Cubs, as has been rumored. I don't want to have to face that guy in the posteason. :no:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    Don't worry. If you listen to all the naysayers he sucks in the postseason.

I mean, I'm sure the broken rib he was pitching with in the 2005 series and the injured pitching shoulder he was pitching with in the 2006 series had nothing to do with his performance in those games, so don't mind them, he sucks in the postseason!

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    On a side note, I'm still wondering what the Nationals have to do with any of this, as they're not in the rumors for trading for Jake.

Can someone modify the thread title to reference the Padres and not the Nationals, please.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I dont care how you look at this, there is nothing positive to say about trading your only franchise quality pitcher.

We look more and more like the ****ing Royals every day.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    If you **** a team's farm system of their grade A talent there is a positive.

It's not like they're giving him away to the lowest bidder like Werner did during the fire sale.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Oh you wait.

The LA Dodgers are apparently in these talks, how would you like to face Peavy for the next 10+ years?

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,617
    That would be so awesome. :tup:

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    If we **** their farm system and they have to face the multitple players we get in return for the next whatever many years it's still worth it.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Kevin Kouzmanoff, Khalil Greene and Clay Hensley for Kevin Slowey and Delmon Young

and I don't care about trading Peavy to the Dodgers as long as we get Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, James McDonald, Blake Dewitt and someone else

29. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Why's everyone so surprised at the Padres wanting to rid their treasure to keep their trash, I've been used to it for years.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,895
    Why is anyone discussing this like they're just trying to get rid of him?

If they were just trying to dump him on the lowest bidder don't you think somebody would have jumped at the opportunity by now?