1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Move Chargers to Del Mar Fairgrounds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Build it and they will come

Community essay Del Mar

By George Mullen
    2:00 a.m. July 12, 2009

The San Diego Chargers are in need of a new home. Coincidentally, an out-of-town distressed real estate owner (the state of California) is suddenly looking to sell the Del Mar Fairgrounds in order to raise desperately needed cash.

A golden opportunity is before us. A marriage made in heaven, if you will.

Having stared down at the Del Mar Fairgrounds from my home every day for over 15 years, it is obvious to me that this may be the perfect location for a new state-of-the-art Chargers stadium. The site is 406 acres (Petco Park is 18 acres), has close and easy highway access, ample parking, adjacent to Del Mar's beautiful beaches and the San Dieguito River, several appealing locations within the site to build a stadium, and the site is well tested with large crowds. The location is familiar and appealing to county residents because most have attended the county fair and/or horse races numerous times. And since National Football League games are almost exclusively on Sundays, there won't be any added stress on Interstate 5 during workday traffic hours.

With the Amtrak-Coaster station only one mile from the fairgrounds and talk of one on site, this is an easy location to reach via public transportation for San Diegans. Furthermore, a North County location with easy train access will put the Chargers in the enviable position of drawing a multitude of football fans from highly populated Los Angeles and Orange counties, as the Del Mar horse races have done for decades. A South Bay Chargers stadium would eliminate such an opportunity. (Note: Los Angeles does not currently have an NFL team, and an established Chargers team in North County may competitively scare away owners from launching one.)

There are multiple revenue streams available here besides just the Chargers. With only eight Sunday Chargers home games a year, the annual San Diego County Fair and Del Mar horse races could easily continue at the site, as well as the numerous weekend events and concerts. (The site supposedly generates nearly $95 million in annual revenue already.) With a bit of creativity, the Chargers stadium could be built as a multipurpose complex with a state-of-the-art convention center. Furthermore, the western tracks of the property have prime ocean views and are alongside some of the most beautiful beaches in the world — this area is ripe for hotel and/or condominium development and would be infinitely more appealing (and priced accordingly) to potential overnight visitors and home buyers than the same in Mission Valley.

In these difficult economic times, the hurting hoteliers and retailers of Del Mar, Solana Beach and adjacent San Diego should welcome the influx of potential new business and overnight visitors that would come with this facility. Likewise, local residents would see strong home value appreciation with a surge of highly paid professionals looking for permanent housing, plus wealthy Los Angeles football fans seeking nearby weekend beach getaway homes. As such, the cities of Del Mar and Solana Beach would see an upward spike in property and sales tax revenue.

Some environmentalists will scream bloody murder over this, but don't they always? Such protests are a non-starter because I am suggesting a site within the existing used part of the 406-acre facility, not in the protected areas. And the fact that the whole valley is a river basin is no different than Mission Valley in that regard. (The most favorable stadium location may be where the Del Mar Arena and Surfside Race Place currently are, these facilities could easily be incorporated into the new superstructure.)

Del Mar's notorious NIMBY residents will no doubt come out of the woodwork on this one, but don't they always also? It is important to note that many of these NIMBY residents are the same ones who relentlessly complain about the fair and horse races with respect to traffic, riffraff and such — even though every single one of them moved to Del Mar knowing full well that the fair and horse races have been staples of this community for more than 70 years.

The Chargers and other serious business-minded entities (Gaylord Entertainment, etc.) should seriously consider this golden opportunity — either with an outright purchase of the property or possibly a public-private revenue sharing partnership. A distressed seller like the state of California hints at the opportunity of getting a dirt cheap price, along with the possibility of business and development guarantees. Now is the time to strike a deal, before a reckless federal bailout of California is launched.

Everyone wins at this location — the state of California, the Chargers, the fans, the local businesses and hotels, the nearby cities and residents, the city of San Diego, and even the football fans in Los Angeles and Orange counties. The Super Bowl will likely become a repetitive event at this world-class beach location as well.

It doesn't get much better than this, folks.

Mullen, a Del Mar resident, has been in the investment management business in downtown San Diego since 1987. He can be reached via his Web site at StudioRevolution.com or at gdmullen@gmail.com .

Union-Tribune

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/12/move-chargers-del-mar-fairgrounds/?dialog

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sounds perfect, of course.

The locals will fight it like hell.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If you thought the Del Mar Fair traffic was bad, wait til you see 60K + pouring into del mar

and yeah I doubt that del mar will appreciate it but hey, it could be alot of fun and I'd like it

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Aside from the NIMBY's - Monday night football games would be pure hell to get to...

but I still wouldn't mind :)

One good thing about the fairgrounds location re: parking, is that you could do a similar thing as with the Fair. Park the Park and Ride's and take a "shuttle" (aka yellow school bus) into the park right up front. They exit on Lomas Santa Fe or Del Mar Heights Rd. and take the back ways in to their own entrance/exit. On Sunday's it would be no problem but again Monday night games or a Thursday night game could be a traffic nightmare - but it's not like they happen ALL the time. No more tricky than in MV now and at least the freeway has been widened and fixed in the past couple of years.

But the NIMBY's in Del Mar are richer and more powerful than most... which would make this is difficult prospect.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You know... I heard some talk a few weeks ago about possibly shutting down the Fairgrounds (don't know if there is any truth to it) and that came to my mind.

Sounds good! :tup:

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Could the build a ramp or two that brings you into the parking lot off of 5?

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    As a Del Mar resident, I say... "**** that ****!!!"

8. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Sounds like a perfect location to me, although IMO there needs to be more points of entering and exiting the location but I think that could be done without too much trouble. Del Mar residents are going to have to bite the bullet just like anyone in any other location would have to do.

:bolt:Go Chargers:bolt:

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    You would only have to put up with the stench of the Raider fans once a year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Could put a Coaster stop there?? Even people from Escondido could go to stadium without getting in their car!

11. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    The football season is so short, there really wouldn't be that much more traffic for ONE day a week.
    I'm probably biased as I live so close to that area, and yeah, I hate the backup, but heck, it's like that every day anyway during the week at going home from work time.

I'll be the NFL would LOVE this site for the Super Bowl 'many' times.

• Like Like x 1
  12. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I think it sounds really good. But of course, I'm not local, so what do I know?

13. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I'm not a 'local' anymore, but I think it's a fantastic idea!!

But whatever happened to the Del Mar Fair, AKA the Southern California Exposition?? Did it go the way of so many other fairs and carnivals over the past couple of decades?:no:

That fair used to be the high point of the summer for the first 30 years of my life........WTF is this world coming to??!!

14. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Spanos and Arnold are good buddies(I hope). That could make this at least a consideration.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Sounds perfect.

So of course it will never happen.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You complain about the "Norv Sucks" threads being about doom and gloom... yet you seem to be obsessed with the Chargers leaving San Diego. Seems you'll become a bigger fan if that happens.

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    :abq2:

I called this one about 4 weeks ago. If this happens I am the new Prophet.

For the record daily average attendance for the fair is 59k. The track holds about 40k.

This would be the quintessential site for this stadium. It would be sweet if they built it mission style.

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Where the surf meets the murph...

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Or if discussing Sproles...

Where the Smurf meets the Turf...

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This would be to smooth, what a perfect location. Can you imagine the hype the city would receive on panning shot's of the area?

Do it Deano.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    As much as I love the idea... one BIG hurdle.

The Chargers are willing to build a new stadium provided they have the land for the site + some extra to build commercial/residential developments to help fund the project. The Del Mar site will cost a good $500-700Mil to purchase the land not including any development/infrastructure costs... :(

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'd certainly take it over them moving out of the San Diego area but that's a long way from where I normally stay when I go to San Diego for games. (IB)

23. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Good point, but as cash-strapped as Sacramento is, they might even consider leasing the land. At least that would be a reliable revenue stream.

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    there's an old station at del mar so its quite plausible but its hard to get a stadium built in one of the richest areas in the city not to mention the traffic problems. Yeah there's plenty of bus options but frankly they've done that at the Q for years without a major problem.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I dont see it happening. Even though a new stadium in that location would make the NFL put Superbowls here every other year...

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wouldn't the horse racing season be impacted by football games?

what about the SD County fair?

good times.

27. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fair is over in early July.

Races end around th 9th of September usually. So you have possible preseason and 1st game of the year conflicts.

Perhaps they can move one of the two offdays for the track to Sunday. Or until they took down the Murph preseason or game one could be played there.

28. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We know you are right but lets us dream a little while longer please.