1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving on: San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    This is nothing new. For the past 2 seasons Rivers has struggled against 5+ pass rushes. Last season most of his interceptions occured in this very situation. Things got better when we got Gaither late in the season. The Chargers are going to have to focus on the OL in a serious manner soon if they want to give the O the ability to truely be as good as it can be. I think teams will continue to come after Rivers. He as he did yesterday has shown he will put the ball up for grabs in those situations.

So long as Battle is being productive (3 attempts for 55 yards yesterday, with a 52 yard burst). give him the carries. It might be time to bench Mathews (ad I am not being glib or saying that lighly), and let him consider his position, and protecting the ball. Mathews MUST correct his habbit of putting the ball on the ground to be the elite RB he can be. Maybe a message needs to be sent to get his mind on the game and protecting the ball.

We need a viable running game to set up our passing game. When the opposition takes this away from us by jumping out to a early lead like the Falcons did, the Chargers need to be able to keep the opposing D honest with a good run threat.

KC while not playing well, is always a threat at home. Chargers, buckle up and get your game on!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap1000000065436/GameDay-Falcons-vs-Chargers-highlights

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    "Moving on San Diego Chargers".......... so it's off to LA already??? :eek:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's been in the works. ;)

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'll say it again, Norv needs to adapt this offense. I would like to see a more creative higher volume running game, no giving up on it when we're down 2 scores, because the play action became completely useless in the 2nd half yesterday. And I'd like to see a more conservative passing game with the long bombs sprinkled in rather than consisting of the bulk of our pass attempts.

Basically the 49ers or offense only with a better QB. I believe we can do it with our O-line and the Mathews/Battle combo, our O-line is better suited to run (I'm looking at Clary) than it is for long developing pass plays.

And I don't want it to take until week 12 AGAIN.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    This team is only going to go as far as the Oline will carry them. And because the Falcons just exposed a huge weakness, you can expect a lot of blitzing. But thats okay we can build the line through free agency, we do not need to waste high draft picks on lineman. Or maybe we can get some more UDFA's that will shore up that weak line.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I feel your pain. And so does Rivers. It's as if AJ doesn't realize or recognize the correlation between keeping Rivers healthy/productive & the performance of the OL. We have a patchwork group here. That isn't meant to be insulting - it just is what it is. All we can really do is hope for them to gel as the season moves forward because there's no one out there to bring in who will make a marked improvement.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Matty Nice, I think you're underemphasizing critical short passes! They are the guaranteed path to success!!
    (for the slower kids: the above "remark was not intended to be a factual statement")

(p.s. Can Williamson really think that Battle is in the same class as RM, simply because he's wracked up big yards late in games against exhausted defenses?)

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    many teams are using the short pass in lieu of a running game. A short pass arguably could help the D in situations where we dont have time to let the deep ball develope, and the opposition is taking the run away. I think we do have a short pass game, I would like to see the team abuse the middle of the field a little more...

The errors and short comings always look a lot worse after a terrible game like yesterdays.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's the Chargers curse I tell you and it will tear down whatever AJ tries to build. Stop using the short passing game as an extension to the run shoot for the stars!!!!

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I saw two major issues...... #1 - O-line couldn't protect the QB, #2 - Defense couldn't pressure the QB.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    #2 = MOAR INGRAM!!!

#1? Less AJ on draft day? :confused:

12. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Ironic that #2 was drafted by #1, eh? :p

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    its exactly what it is, we have people out there that shouldnt. BUT because thats all we have, then we are going to have to make do with what we have. Do we keep a running back or a tightend back to block to help that line out?
    Something has to happen really quickly or we are going to be chasing someone all season long. We are going into KC which always plays us tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ hasn't always missed, but he certainly seems to have an aversion to spending early draft picks on OL.

I liked what he did in this draft, but that was also contingent on believing that Gaither would be healthy. I suppose, in fairness, AJ thought that about Gaither as well. But, given his past injury history, wouldn't you hedge your bets just a little more when it comes to protecting your fairly immobile franchise QB?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    What about the ol run it the middle to keep them off guard, it hasnt worked now for 5 years.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Battle ran up the middle for about 52 yards, I guess the Bolt's lulled them to sleep prior to that run.

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    then it works once in every one thousand tries, I guess that will be good enough to keep in the playbook.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Agreed. AJ did a good job this off-season of addressing needs. I think it's a matter of doing as much as you can, knowing that you're going to have to take some chances. It's just way too easy (and short-sighted) for us to sit back and criticize now. On the other hand... what else are we going to discuss? ;)

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It only works if they are sleeping though so I think it should only be used on Christmas Eve.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    AFTER the Eggnog

21. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    It's only Monday and I've already written of next Sundays game. I love my Bolts but Arrowhead hasn't been kind to us over the years

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Really? I say we win by 2 TDs. They have not been able to play consitently and it was an extreemly poor defensive showing by the Saints that gave them the last win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Good for Battle...but it's a tricky play to set up:

The trick is to gently drop a cool 24 points behind the other team... :cool:
    then--when there's just over 4 minutes on the clock--and the defense
    is asking themselves such questions as
    "Should I call that stripper from the locker room, or the bus?" and
    "Did I park outside Concourse C or Concourse D at Hartsfield-Jackson?"
    Boom! Unleash the ultimate non-factor!
    Then, just let Bill Williamson carry that water, as if it meant somethin'... :tup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    We were 13 points down and Norv abandoned the run ie. he panics and goes to the Pass. With our O line we have no chance with this moronic strategy.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Where's the BEEF

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Look, I hate Norv more than most, but you need to look at the game situation. We were trying to score before the half with 2:32 left on the clock. That's not panicking, that's trying to get back in the game. What should he have done, handed the ball off a few times and hoped that Mathews broke a 60+ yard run with enough time remaining to score in the redzone?

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    We had the 2 min warning and 3 timeouts. Plenty of time to be more methodical/balanced. Worst case we go in 13-3 down and get ball at start of second half. Instead Rivers forces it deep in our territory and gift Atlanta another score. We all know Norv's crutch is the pass, with out O line the way it is, it is not an option to pass pass pass, it's simple as that. If it means we are incapable of coming back from a 20-3 deficit so be it. I don't want to see our QB killed or made look ridiculous because we've ignored the O line for years. Yes I know Gaither should be there but look at AJ's 3 deep philosophy on the O line. It does not exist.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    And if Norv had run the ball and gotten no points then everyone would be screaming he had no killer instincts. So other than winning the game what would Norv had to have done to win in the light of what.... 4 turnovers?