1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to keep Floyd, Gordon

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Kwak, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Moving to keep Floyd, Gordon
    By Kevin Acee

The Chargers have made moves to retain both of their restricted free agents -- giving receiver Malcom Floyd and cornerback Cletis Gordon second-round tenders.

That means both players will make $1.45 million in 2009 if they don't sign with another team.

If another team did sign either player it would owe the Chargers a second-round pick in this year's draft.

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Gordon's jock is still on the field in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 3
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Gordon's safe but anyone think there's a chance someone could grab Floyd for just a second (I'm having Welker thoughts)

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    a 2nd would be nice, but at the same time i think if Floyd could stay healthy he could be a beast, i love that guy

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    No one is giving up a second for a player like Floyd or Gordon.

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    :icon_shrug:

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Tell me when someone sends a second rounder for an unproven scrub who can't stay on the field.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think he's a scrub, the problem is he can't stay healthy, I'd take the second rounder for him

10. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Anyone who wears number 80 is ok with me!!

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Look about 500 or so miles north...:icon_eek:

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If we could get a 2nd for Floyd that would be a great deal. I doubt it'd happen though.

Floyd has never really done much, he's shown flashes but then gets hurt. I think this is his last year with us anyways so he'd be a fa and I don't think AJ plans on extending him long term so why not cash in on him?

Clearly AJ would be more than happy with a 2nd and is baiting him out there.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    M80 is far from a scrub - as for injuries he put the effort in to bulk up which in 08 made a big impact in him avoiding injury. He's tall like VJ but he's not as burly - he needed some more meat on his bones to handle the hits at the NFL level.

The collapsed lung thing was kind of a freak accident. Considering the hits our wideouts took in that game AND the fact that he played thru it for 3 qtrs and played thru it well speaks volumes to me.

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    No!

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Malcom has another six months of conditioning and strenghthening under his belt by the time the camp rolls around. He emerged as an excellent receiver last season, but I doubt that anyone will surrender a 2nd round pick for him, considering the talent available in the draft. No team will offer even a fourth for Gordon.

16. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    That wouldn't shock me; James Lofton (Raiders receivers coach) is the one that discovered him while he was in college. Lofton was a big reason he even made the team as an UFA. Plus the Raiders are desperate for WR's.

If you think about it, a second rounder would give us an instant starter. Here are a handful of players that will probably be available in a mock draft that I found...

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft2.html

2nd Round

33. Detroit Lions - Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    The Lions passed on an OT with their first 2 picks, now get Mr. Versatile in Unger. Unger can play all 5 spots on the offensive line.

36. Cleveland Browns - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
    The Browns find their future RB to replace Jamal Lewis.

37. Seattle Seahawks - Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
    Walter Jones may be done, and Meredith is the top OT on the board. Meredith had a great Combine

40. Oakland Raiders - Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma
    If Oakland passes on Oher in the first, they take another first round quality lineman in guard. Would be a steal at 40. OT is a bigger need, but Robinson is better value.

43. San Francisco 49ers - Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
    The 49ers want to find a right tackle to complement Joe Staley. Massive Loadholt would certainly do.

46. Houston Texans - Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
    The Texans have lacked that premier safety in its entire history. Delmas may now be the top safety in the draft (if you don't count Malcolm Jenkins).

47. New England Patriots (from SD) :banghead: - Patick Chung, SS, Oregon
    The Pats could create a nice young safety duo of Chung and Meriweather. Could look at Rashad Johnson who is a FS.

53. New York Jets - Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose St.
    The Jets get the YouTube sensation in Gilbert. Gilbert who has the ability to jump out of a swimming pool would be perfect as a 3-4 DE in Rex Ryan's defense.

62. Tennessee Titans - Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    If Albert Haynesworth leaves via free agency, the Titans are going to need to find someone to replace his big void. Brace is 6-3, 324 lbs (Jamal's replacement)

70. Cincinnati Bengals - Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
    Cedric Benson is a free agent, and after that, the Bengals have really no other running back. Greene is a great value and fills a need. (They have him going in the third but I think he'll go in the second.)

I really like Floyd too but, with all the holes we have to fill anyone of these guys would instantly upgrade the roster.