1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mr. Cason....... here's the bench.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Cason's struggles mean change looming at corner

It was at this time last year that Antoine Cason got on a roll, locked down and finished with a run of success over the season’s final 10 games that compared to the best cornerbacks in the league.

It appears he might not get that chance this season.

“We’re going to address that,” head coach Norv Turner said Monday afternoon. “We don’t have to make that decision right now. We’re going to evaluate the two guys through the week.”

Given Cason’s performance this season, culminating with what happened in Sunday’s game, team sources said there is a strong chance Cason could be replaced by rookie Marcus Gilchrist -- either for the start of Monday night's game at Kansas City or at some point during that game.

However, there were indications that all those involved have not come together on a final decision about when or if the switch should be made. The Chargers will need Cason on Nov. 6 when the pass-happy Green Bay Packers come to San Diego, and there are concerns about further negating his confidence. And several people pointed out that Cason has been down before and come back to thrive.

This is not the first time Cason has had to fight for playing time, despite being the team’s first-round draft pick in 2008. In 2009, his job as the No.1 nickel back was taken away after six games. He played sparingly the rest of that season at cornerback before getting the job opposite Quentin Jammer to start the 2010 season.

Cason declined to comment Monday other than to say, “’09 is not going to happen again.”

All season, the Chargers have been monitoring Cason's inconsistent play and what they see as a steady decline in his confidence. Then came Sunday.

Cason was at least partially responsible for all three of the New York Jets' touchdowns in Sunday's 27-21 loss in New Jersey, as he played off big and physical receiver Plaxico Burress down near the end zone.

When coaches decided late in the game to remove Cason, multiple sources said, Cason resisted but eventually did come out.

“I’m not going to address that,” Turner said when asked about what transpired during the game. “We have an issue, obviously.”

Cason met with defensive coaches and with Turner on Monday to clear the air and discuss how everyone moves forward.

Cason said he has not been notified of any switch at the position.

According to sources, Cason was in jeopardy of losing playing time two weeks ago before having such an outstanding game against the Denver Broncos that he was awarded a game ball.

Entering Sunday’s game, Cason had allowed 17 receptions on 29 passes his way for 231 yards and two touchdowns. He has five passes broken up.

Cason led the Chargers with four interceptions and 17 passes broken up in 2010. The 51 percent completion rate against him was seventh-lowest among players who faced more than 90 passes. He also averaged 16.5 yards on 14 punt returns.

Cason finished 2010 especially strong. After allowing five of six passes his way to be caught Oct. 17 in St. Louis, the Chargers’ sixth game, he allowed just 28 receptions in 64 passes (43.7 percent) the rest of the season.

The Chargers expected this season that he would build on ‘10, possibly even putting himself in position to earn a lucrative contract extension with a strong showing.

Instead, the player the Chargers drafted in this year's second round, ostensibly to one day replace Jammer, is now poised to replace Cason more immediately.

Gilchrist started in place of the injured Jammer on Oct. 2 against Miami and had an interception and two pass breakups. He allowed five receptions on eight passes his direction for a total of 56 yards.

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Mr Cason.... Here's the bench.

[​IMG]

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Let's not damage his fragile ego. :rolleyes:

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Another guy that needs ultimatums to perform. What the **** is up with the cushion every snap? The fear of jamming bigger WRs on the line in short yardage situations? The Cro-like tackling?

When we cut him, he'll get motivated, and the Jets or Saints will turn him into a winner ;)

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I'm betting on the 49ers!

6. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Cason had an embarrassing performance against the Jets. I am hoping it is a one time thing, but man that is going to be tough to come back from.

Give him a short leash in the KC game and see how it goes. Pull him if he gets burned.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    “We have an issue, obviously.”

8. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I actually think he'll be ok, i mean he had a bad game, it happens... The hand problem he had at the start of the season may be limiting him a bit still, who knows?

I think Burress was a bad matchup for him, too big, the DC would have done better to switch Jammer on to him and give Cason to Holmes.

I do like Gilchrist though, he looks like a solid pick.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Put him on KR/PR duties and full-time special teams and let him earn his spot back from Gilchrist. Cason is not playing up to his own ability, he needs to own that and get his **** together. He's not PR, Gilchrist is bigger threat to replace him than Volek is to PR. If that's not motivation enough to play better than you get to be a grunt again until it is.

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    He'll be just fine. So he had a bad day. The horrible showing in NY wasn't just Cason. The whole team minus a couple of guys
    stunk it up. No points scored by S.D. in second half. If Cason was on the offense, then we could blame that on him too.
    Prediction: He gets a pick on Cassel which results in points for the Bolts.

:chiefssuck:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    He had a horrible game but he seems to be consistently inconsistent as was mentioned in the initial article. He did well in 2008 & was outstanding in 2010, but was horrible in 2009 and has not built off his recent success this year. While I'm willing to give him something of a mulligan on this game, because he was just brutally abused and occasionally everyone has those kinds of days, if he doesn't show some signs of improvement vs KC and vs GB, then its time to sit him and consider his time in SD over.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    #imjustreporting ;)

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    AJ needs to trade back every damn year to get rid of those 1st round picks, and start racking up 2nd rounders.

With exception of Igor and Kiel, AJ has a pretty good track record with 2nd rounders, far better than with 1sts.

14. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I think the cushion we often see given is at the direction of the DC or secondary coach, but I could be mistaken.

If Marcus Gilchrist does indeed start in place of Antoine Cason, I’d like to see Cason returning punts and Patrick Crayton getting more involved in our offense – he was real effective last season before he went on IR, especially his running after the catch.

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Me too, I want to see Cason returning punts and maybe sharing time with Gilchrist at corner. I wouldn't write off Cason as a the starting corner just yet. Sunday was a disaster for him, a complete abomination of a performance. Benching him for it is probably the right thing to do. Get the message to these guys, all of them, that you better play up to what is expected else you are riding the pine.

Some of the guys that need to get this message imho are Floyd, Sperry, McMichael, Crayton, Brown (if he ever gets thrown a pass), Vasquez, Clary, Green, Philip, Cam Thomas, Harris, OG, Cesaire, Liuget, Martin, Gamble (now that he might get another shot), Garay (he didn't show up in at least 1 game this yr), Diggs, Weddle, Gregory, Goodman and Norv!.

I'm giving the likes of Hardwick and Spikes a pass for now. No doubt Spikes has brought some real leadership but the guy struggles big-time in pass coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Having Gilchrist practice with the #1s may be just be intended to motivate Cason, and to let him know in no uncertain terms that he will be benched if his struggles continue - he could also be demoted, to see if he fights to regain his starting position with his attitude & performance, we'll see in time.

Eric Weddle has 3 picks so far, and 2 of them have clinched victories for us in this young season.

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    And he's dropped a gimme pick 6. Overall I don't think he has been playing aswell as he should and (hopefully) can. I've seen him miss many tackles, be out of position on pass D. He can play a whole lot better for me.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Weddle is a good player but I continue to maintain that he was NOT worth the "elite" contract that he received. The 2 game-saving picks were right in his gut - most of us here could have caught those. He's out of position a fair amount of the time. While he did make a recovery for a decent overall game performance vs. the Jets, Greene certainly seemed to bring back some painful memories early on.

Once again, both in what we paid in the draft & his new contract, AJ shows that if you're one of "his" guys, he'll over-spend.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It isn't just a one time thing. According to Acee, he was on the verge of being benched after the Miami game, then came back and won the game ball again the Broncos, before having another terrible game against the Jets.

I just hope Cason is able to pull his head out of his ***, and over come this

• Like Like x 1
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't even think the Chargers thought he was worth what they gave him, but that is what the market determined the price to be, and if they lost him, the guy we would have gotten to replace him would have been below league average, which would have left our defense worse than it is

• Like Like x 2
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe, maybe not. That all depends on who we replaced him with. If he left, we may have hit on another FA or draft choice.

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I think the guy is just very prideful in the way he plays. There are players out there that beat themselves up more than any coach that yells at them.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    When a player resists coming out of the game when the coaches order them, then "prideful" becomes an issue.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Out of the available free agents, he was light years better than the rest. Yes we could have made a trade, but if you just look at the free agents, it wasn't even close

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Well then the decision to draft Gilchrist and Wright is starting to look like genius. Combined with Simmons on the PS who has also made strives and Hughes, and we could replace Cason (if he's going downhill permanently) easily

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was talking about safeties. The post that I replied to was regarding Weddle not being worth the price we paid. It had nothing to do with Cason or our CB's. I think there may have been a little mis-communication here

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I assumed it was a post on Cason since this is a Cason thread. My opinion stands but I take back quoting you then

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Hard to say. But he definitely was better under Rivera.

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    He's had more than one bad day.

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    2011: He was crap until the Denver game, when he was good. Then he was really crap in the Jets game.