1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mr. Padre has passed away

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 16, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    <blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>There are no words on the passing of the greatest Padre of all time. There will never be anyone like Tony Gwynn. Just heartbreak</p>&mdash; Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartyCaswell/statuses/478556665898205184">June 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sad to report that <a href="https://twitter.com/Padres">@Padres</a> Legend Tony Gwynn has passed away. He will be missed by many.</p>&mdash; The Mighty 1090 (@Mighty1090) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mighty1090/statuses/478556180512391169">June 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It might not be football but I don't care. This is Mr. San Diego and it's horrifying to see him pass so early after such an amazing fight. He epitomized Padre baseball, he was the man I grew up watching and I will miss him so much. He helped make me a Padre fan.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,896
    ugh, this sucks

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    A true San Diego great....... he'll be sorely missed by the community.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
  5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Sad to hear this.

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    So sad RIP Mr. Padre

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    RIP Tony.

Tough year for the Padres fans. We San Diegans are blessed to have had a person with his character and loyalty play for this city his whole career. It was never about the money with TG. He will be missed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This is very sad news about Tony Gwynn, I spent many summer evenings enjoying watching him play in the Murph. Chuck Noll whose professional coaching career got started in San Diego under Sir Sidney also passed last Friday, tough week for San Diego.

9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Rest in peace Tony, and thank you!

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I idolized Gwynn growing up, one of the few sports figures that are actually worthy of a youngster looking up to. I became a baseball fan, pretty much threw him and rooting for him as a child. In 1987, I watched practically every at bat he had., he had a monster season. That season I knew I was watching a future HoF and I checked the boxed scores religiously for many years, to see how many hits "Tony" got and where he was in batting race. Made several trips to Yuma to see him in Spring Training. Also, ran into in him town once. My all-time favorite sports figure. Terribly sad he's gone so early.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Damn.
    I'm just learning this, today. I had no idea what the cancer had done to him.
    What a huge loss for San Diego. Hard to believe that Tony & Junior are both gone already.
    All my best to the Gwynn family.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    Welcome back Lance-a-Lot. What planet in which galaxy were you orbiting around this time? :p

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Thanks, Blitzy. I'm 950 messages behind! :sick:

Just had a couple of nice weeks in Yellowstone, and a little side trip to Bryce.

Black.jpg

15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521

You're tad bit furrier, slightly heavier and somewhat browner than I remembered you, but still a handsome, handsome fella :tup:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Lance, you came to my part of the country and didn't stop by and say hi. :(

17. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Hi all. I've been away for awhile too, but I've been hearing all about Tony Gwynn and still can't believe he's gone. Only 54 years old.....I told my 25-year-old son about it and said he'd better knock off the chewing tobacco, he's already had a precancerous lesion removed from his tongue. But of course he IS only 25 and doesn't believe he'll ever be 54, which he might not if he keeps this $#!+ up. God bless Tony Gwynn. RIP Mr. Padre.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Tony Gwynn was the epitome of what a sports star should be, both on and off the field.

I wish they were all that way. I feel privileged that the quintessential example of what a sports star should be played for my favorite team.

Tony Gwynn is THE reason I became a Padres fan.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Only because I was speeding to a remote campsite...like a rat out of an aqueduct
    (first come, first served)

Now I'm back in San Diego, where no one ever says "Look!! A grizzly!!" :oops: